Thread: Wife won DC480 Caribou Hunt... help!!!!

Default Wife won DC480 Caribou Hunt... help!!!!

My wife won this hunt and I am up north unable to prepare for this hunt which we plan on going Sept. 6th thru the 10th. Does any of you have any information that can help plan for it? I have never hunted in this region other than bird but, I do know that the bou stay up high unless there is a couple of good frosts to stay away from the bugs. But, I have no clue of the trails to take.. the terrain... or even where to start looking. Any type of information would be greatly appreciated. Happy Hunting all!

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    My wife won this hunt and I am up north unable to prepare for this hunt which we plan on going Sept. 6th thru the 10th. Does any of you have any information that can help plan for it? I have never hunted in this region other than bird but, I do know that the bou stay up high unless there is a couple of good frosts to stay away from the bugs. But, I have no clue of the trails to take.. the terrain... or even where to start looking. Any type of information would be greatly appreciated. Happy Hunting all!
    Make sure you check the hotline for the hunt before and during the trip. The way that hunt is set up, there is a chance it may be shut down before you even get out there if they meet the quota.

Hotline number is 267-2304. With that tag most people will probably go in through Eureka or Lake Louise. The Eureka Lodge website has all of their trails shown (hard to read though).

Have you received your permit in the mail yet?

I also drew this hunt, I called the F&G office in Glen Allan and asked how long they expect the hunt to last, they told me that the draw quota is included in the main quota, but they do not expect it to end till mid to late winter.
    This will be my first time hunting up in that area, so I guess I will be learning a lot.

Robert

Yeah we already have it, had it for a couple months now
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Have you received your permit in the mail yet?

Yeah this is our first big game hunt, prepping the best I can for it but I just hope it doesnt shut down before we can actually go.
    Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    I also drew this hunt, I called the F&G office in Glen Allan and asked how long they expect the hunt to last, they told me that the draw quota is included in the main quota, but they do not expect it to end till mid to late winter.
    This will be my first time hunting up in that area, so I guess I will be learning a lot.

Robert

Thanks for the info. My Alaska atlas will do a little better I hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    Hotline number is 267-2304. With that tag most people will probably go in through Eureka or Lake Louise. The Eureka Lodge website has all of their trails shown (hard to read though).

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    i'm callin from big lake, and i had to dial "907".

just thought i'd mention that for incase you put it as a contact so you don't have to have a post-it note floating around your truck. and I know how hard it is to remember a whole phone number AND 907. lol
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I'll be up at eureka this weekend, don't hesitate to stop and say hi if you see a green 6x Polaris ranger with a custom cargo rack.

cool, i'll be there sept 6th. keep me informed on your hunt. good luck! bring pics!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I'll be up at eureka this weekend, don't hesitate to stop and say hi if you see a green 6x Polaris ranger with a custom cargo rack.