Thread: Remington Saftey/Firing Mechanism Issues

Default Remington Saftey/Firing Mechanism Issues

Does anyone know if the X Mark trigger in the new remingtons fixes the problem with the firing mechanism in the old 700s that made it possible for the gun to fire when the saftey was taken off? I already know how to properly handle a firearm. I know that they did/do have a problem with their saftey's in about 1% of their guns. I posted this over in handloading first and pretty much the only responses I got were "there is no problem" or "proper handling is the way to prevent it". I have researched it on the internet and have found nothing that says whether it does or doesn't. I am just trying to find a straight answer on whether or not it has been fixed finally or if it is still the same firing mechanism with a new name. Thank you.

Bo

The new safety mechanism cams the trigger to the front when applied. The old type safeties did not. This essentially prevents the rifle from discharging when the safety is disengaged. The old safeties would allow the trigger to travel to the rear when engaged, and sometimes due to dirt, gunk, or being screwed with in a poor fashion the trigger would remain in the "pulled" position when the safety was taken off, resulting in a discharge. The new safety prevents the trigger from traveling to the rear when applied. So, provided everything is in proper adjustment, this does solve the "problem".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thank you very much

You are very welcome. If you do a search on these forums for "Remington safety" you should come up with a discussion we had about a year ago. In that, I described in detail how the Remington trigger operates and the function of the safety mechanism. If you ignore the other derogatory comments that were posted, it should be enlightening. Best wishes. Doug (GUNBUGS)
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."