Thread: Recent mushing trip pictures

Default Recent mushing trip pictures

Spent 8 days upriver with my son. He was skijoring with two dogs and I had a seven-dog team. -70 windchills going upriver, unusually cold for this time of year with -40 at night and -20s during the day, but lots of sunshine. Ran into overflow, both frozen and not frozen. All in all a good trip and dogs did great.

Upper river, heading downriver:

Breaking trail around some overflow:

Frozen overflow (barely) that we later broke through:

Thumbs up

Brrrrrr! -70 windchill, -20 is comfortable without the windchill.

You take some nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phil 4:13

Thumbs up

Great pictures Bushrat! The scenery and solitude looks amazing!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

What was the purpose of the trip?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What was the purpose of the trip?
    Mike, wanted to get out with my son, and help support a friend who is on a long-haul mushing trip. Gonna head downriver again too, and hopefully lots of other trips and some spring camping in April. Overflow over the banks in many spots, highest I've ever seen it and will be a crazy breakup.
    Best, Mark

Default The 2007 GCI Open North American almost over

I just realized that I posted by accident some information about the GCI open North American sled dog race in here.

I apologize for the error, and will repost a thread.
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 03-17-2007 at 21:51. Reason: Wrong location (deleted)

Have you ever been up to the border? Is it obvious? What would stop a guy from trapping on the Yuk side, or even just touring around there, assuming one went that far?
    Supporting a friend? Does someone live or trap above you?

Smile where are you?

Where are you? Looks beautiful
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default so many questions - grin

Mike, been up to, and actually mushed on the border cut in various places way back when. Was about 20years ago now they last hired sawyers to cut the line in my neck of the woods. They do it periodically in certain places to redefine things along popular river corridors like the Yukon, Porcupine, and Fortymile for people on the ground, and in some places for aircraft as well. In some places the border cut is still real obvious from the ground or vantage points on bluffs etc, but in others not so much.

Nothing to stop a guy from doing a trip across the border; just have to stop in at the next customs office. People travel all the time between Eagle and Dawson, or between Old Crow and Fort Yukon. Or like the poker snowmachine run between Tok and Dawson. Wouldn't be very wise or prudent to ever set traps across the border, plus it's against the law. So as to 'what stops a guy' from doing so, I'd say good ol' common sense and a willingness to abide by the law. It's up to the hunter or trapper to know where he or she is; ignorance like "I didn't know I was in Canada" doesn't cut it with the authorities from either side <grin>. No one living or trapping above me.

Riverboater, I'm northeast of Circle, upper Yukon country.
    Best,

I think what your saying about trapping across the border is.....the border is watched and anyone trapping, or whatever, would get caught I assume.
    So you had 9 dogs away from home for 8 days, right? How about dog food? What did you carry?
    I'm used to folks putting up fish (salmon) for winter dog food? Do you do that? Anyplace to set a net under the ice........or any fish to catch under it?
    Nice pics. Bring back memories of my dogteam trapping and travelling.
    Hey, in that 2nd pic, is that a dead animal on the snowshoes...........or just your beaver mitts?

Default hey Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm between chores here, checking email and the forum. Nice day, lots of sun to charge the batteries.

Too far from the Yukon to put up salmon for the dogs, and the grayling and whitefish population here won't support the harvests required to feed a dog team all winter. So we feed all commercial dog food in winter, and meat tallow, which is what we had with us on the trip. That's bear mitts on top of the load in the one picture. All the grayling and whitefish pretty much run downriver before freeze-up except for the fry. This year, with such thick overflow and ice down to the bottom, don't figure many fry will survive. So the answer to a net under the ice here is that it's a no-go.
    Hope it's warming up over out west. Gonna really be nice to get out more this spring in warmer temps.

Great pictures Mark!!I like your sled,custom<grin>.I remember watching my dad build dog sleds in the 70's in a little shop in Talkeetna.I remember him steaming the wood to make all the bends.Did you see any wolf sign in your trip?Keep the pics comming!

Great pics! I had my first experience with breaking through overflow earlier this month. It wasn't bad though because it was about 10-15 above. I wouldn't want to do it at some of those temps you were seeing though.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?