Thread: Mini DVD HELP!!!

Question Mini DVD HELP!!!

I have a Sony video camera that has both a Memory Stick and a Mini DVD Tape. My Windows7 does not recognize it at all. I borrowed a Laptop with WinXP and I can transfer the footage from the Memory Stick to the computer without any problem. Nothing I do seems to get the computer to recognize the DVD tape(s) Any ideas out there? I get the computer to recognize the Memory Stick by using the USB connection and turning the camera on/off button to MEMORY. The SONY Owner's Manual is completely void of any information on transferring the tape though...and using the USB connection doesn't work...the computer does not recognize the camera. There is an optional cord that plugs into the camera and needs a FireWire port on the computer (which I don't have)...Maybe this is the only way to transfer? As a last resort, does any know a place where I can get my tapes transferred to a DVD? Thanks for any help.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Using an older Sony video camera, the only way I could get the video into my computer was via a firewire port. If this is a desktop computer you can add a 1394 (firewire) port with an add-on card. They're not expensive. If it's a laptop, you are going to need to add a converter device of some kind that reads firewire and outputs to USB. I've never used one, but I'm sure they exist in some fashion. They might reduce image quality though.

At some point it's probably easier (and maybe cheaper) to buy a new video camera.

All the mini dv tape cameras I've used and seen over the years use the firewire connection. Like Jim said the firewire pci cards are inexpensive and easy to install. If you decide not to fool with that stuff and want to transfer to dvd let me know. I have all the tools and technology and would be happy to help you out.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Using an older Sony video camera, the only way I could get the video into my computer was via a firewire port. If this is a desktop computer you can add a 1394 (firewire) port with an add-on card. They're not expensive. If it's a laptop, you are going to need to add a converter device of some kind that reads firewire and outputs to USB. I've never used one, but I'm sure they exist in some fashion. They might reduce image quality though.

At some point it's probably easier (and maybe cheaper) to buy a new video camera.
    I already have made plans to get a newer camera...it is just that I have about 15 minutes of a herd of MuskOx on the north slope that I want to transfer. I went to the Sony site and saw they have a mini DV plug to Mini DV (Mini Firewire) for $40...went to Amazon and found the same thing for $1.88 and free shipping. I ordered it, and we shall see if it works as the laptop has this mini plug too :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Got a min Firewire to mini firewire to connect between the camera and a laptop running WinXP and it works perfect. Added a full sized Firewire card to my desktop PC and used the mini to full sized firewire on Win7 and it is NOT detected. Seems like Win7 is the problem. The good news is that I got the film onto a disc :-)