Thread: Another Dissapointing Gun Show

Default Another Dissapointing Gun Show

Went to the Sully Saturday...picked up a used scope and a couple pairs of S&W grips. Not many tables to start with and a lot of empty ones. Plenty of "Display Only" and non gun related stuff like jewelery and fishing gear. I stopped going to shows in the valley after I saw a lady selling women's shoes at the Wasilla HS show a couple years back. Now I've about given up on shows in town. What's happened with the gun shows up here? The economy? Or maybe the cost of a table at the AGCA is becoming cost prohibitive for non members...it is definitely a factor for me.

We sold a little over $11,000.00 in firearms & ammo. Your right there was poor attendance. Tables cost $65.00 each. Wish I could have sold some of the Freedom Arms .454 Casull's.

It is not just the gun shows in Alaska. The ones in Georgia get worse all the time, especially with non-firearm stuff like purses and vibrating recliners showing up. I have promised myself not to go back to a couple of them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The costs are staggering for the locations.When we were at the Egan Center it cost $15,000.-- for the upstairs for two days. (I Think, My memory ain't so good).

Not a good show for sure, but I did come home home with some merchandise. The best thing I walked out of there with was that vortex viper HD spotting scope I have been waiting all summer for. I did not expect to see that scope up here anytime soon especially at a gun show!

Also I picked up a probably never fired winchester 70 stainless classic .270 for a good price I thought. I have already brought it to the range and its a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

Also I picked up a probably never fired winchester 70 stainless classic .270 for a good price I thought. I have already brought it to the range and its a shooter.
    I saw that .270 it was about $400.-- under priced. Good buy. Smart Buy.

The one I got was 550.00 on the tag. I whipped out the 500 cash in my pocket and the guy took it. A store price on that rifle is probably around the 7-800 mark isnt it?

The one I got was 550.00 on the tag. I whipped out the 500 cash in my pocket and the guy took it. A store price on that rifle is probably around the 7-800 mark isnt it?
    New: $1,095.00 Used: $795.00 to $895.00 (That one was in nice shape)

Gunblade,

I'll certaintly agree with you as we quit going to any of the gun shows up here a couple of years ago. Just seems to me the same used stuff just travels to a different table. Once in a great while you could find some components for resonable prices but even those days are gone.

If I need a new gun I'll just drop by Boondocks and they order it for me at a lower price than any of those vendors. Most bullets I'll just order online when Nosler has the "seconds" I need in stock.

If, and this is a big IF the sponsors of these shows get rid of the fishing gear, camping junk, and the rest of the assorted flea bay crap I would gladly pay a little more to attend the show. But until then, not only myself but most of the folks I talk to think the local shows are just a waste of time and effort.
    Just my opinion and worth nothing more.
    Tennessee

Hmmm, $65 per table...
    The last couple aviation trade shows I attended cost us over $500 for a table (two days) and another $85 if you wanted an electrical cord.
    And on Sunday all you get is the cheap after-church folks who take their kids through so they can collect all the pamphlets, cards and brochures. Cheap entertainment.
    I too stopped going to the Anchorage gun shows. I used to set my calendar by the old Palmer show.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    We sold a little over $11,000.00 in firearms & ammo. Your right there was poor attendance. Tables cost $65.00 each. Wish I could have sold some of the Freedom Arms .454 Casull's.
    Good heavens! $65 a table??? I only wish I could rent a spot that low to sell my photography at an Arts and Crafts show. For that price I would think every table in the arena would of been rented.
    Tennessee

Prices have come down quite a bit since Winchester reintroduced the model 70. I've seen the stainless Win 70's in the black syn stock selling for high $400's to low 500's. One just sold recently on the AR Forum for $475 (ss, syn, 300 win mag). Great deals for sure, but they are out there. If you are looking for a rebarreling project watch for the rifles with the BOSS. They seem to have lower resale values than the regular models.
    Tennessee

Difference is that a lot of the people behind the tables at the gun shows are doing it just for fun and at a very low profit margin if any. Lower priced tables bring out more individuals and makes it a lot more fun.

Also - about all of the gun shows around here are not-for-profit or charity sponsered events while your art show sponsers are most likely commercial for profit organizations.

One big thing that has really hurt the gun shows is the one line auctions and ebay. Art I would suspect is a lot harder to sell that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Good heavens! $65 a table??? I only wish I could rent a spot that low to sell my photography at an Arts and Crafts show. For that price I would think every table in the arena would of been rented.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    One big thing that has really hurt the gun shows is the one line auctions and ebay.
    Ebay is pretty careful about what they allow folks to sell in the way of gun stuff. However, tvf is right on, but it's the whole internet that has brought down gun shows. Used to be the gun show was THE place to shop for gun stuff. Nowadays in the age of instant satisfaction (except if you live in Nome) you just get on the net and a few days later UPS has it at your door. Not much reason to attend a gun show, other than to socialize.
    I did attend a show in July 2010 in K.C. Mo. I thought it was well attended. Had to wait in line to get in. They let individuals bring in guns to sell, guys were walking around with a gun over their shoulder with a for sale sign. All kinds of gun stuff there and it was pretty interesting. Lots of interesting guys to talk to, least I thought so.
    Would be a shame to see the end of gun shows. Maybe folks should attend a show in their area just to keep the tradition alive!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I bought another S&W .38. Why, I dont know.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I still attend most of the gun shows in Anchorage, Palmer and Wasilla but have to admit that is more for entertainment that actual gun buying. that said, this last one at the Sully was really sad... even walking slow and chatting with several vendors, I was still out of there in less than an hour and a half. Over the years I have picked up a number of deals though, so I keep on going, looking and hoping. besides, I always figure even if there arent any interesting deals I can always get a tasty polish dog! Sadly, that wasnt even an option at the Sully....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I quit gunshows as a routine years ago. I still hit the local one as more of a social calling than serious purchasing opportunity.

I used to find deals and have a ball at gunshows but it seems the whole Y2K, late 90s paranoia changed them some. Last show I attended had mostly military rifles, MREs and beef jerky- nothing wrong with any of that but I can only look at so many of them before it runs together. Sporting rifles were in short supply and typically overpriced. Lots of components for sale at current prices in battered cardboard boxes from the 80s as well.

I used to go looking for a battered Hi-Power or a K-Frame to pick up cheap but most times now I can find a newer version for less than most guys are wanting for their stuff with a little careful shopping.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The costs are staggering for the locations.When we were at the Egan Center it cost $15,000.-- for the upstairs for two days. (I Think, My memory ain't so good).
    Unbulreebabul!!! Yeah, that staggers me fore shore.

I love Gun Shows, all of'em whether I find a treasure or not.

The Community of Interest seems to be moving up to the Valley. Seems like most of them are up that way nowadays, which suits me fine now that I live up here.

Probably, the gun shows gotta go where space is available.

Isn't the $65.00 per table an AGCA Member price? Other organizations probably charge different fees.

We gots some GOOD Gun Shows in AK. I especially like the Wasilla HS one, and the Bigg'un the Palmer Lions Club does, Also the little one the Lions do in ER.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I still attend most of the gun shows in Anchorage, Palmer and Wasilla but have to admit that is more for entertainment that actual gun buying. that said, this last one at the Sully was really sad... even walking slow and chatting with several vendors, I was still out of there in less than an hour and a half. Over the years I have picked up a number of deals though, so I keep on going, looking and hoping. besides, I always figure even if there arent any interesting deals I can always get a tasty polish dog! Sadly, that wasnt even an option at the Sully....
    Alangaq:

I knew you were a Good Deal Getter. Remember the deal on the Enfield, 303?

There is a very interesting article on the 303 British in the latest Handloader Magazine. Maybe, you oughta check it out. You might enjoy it.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.