Thread: Dies

Question Dies

Are dies interchangeable with other reloaders other than the die brand?

Most Dies and presses are 7/8 X 14 standard thread. What kind of press do you have?

Woody

Default presses

Actually my sons picked up three for practically nothing, Pacific, Rcbs, & I believe a Hornady.

I don't know anything about the Pacific, but the RCBS and the Hornady. Should be standard thread. One way to find out for sure is to drag them all into tongass traiding and try a die in them. If they thread in they will work. Or barrow a die from a friend.

Woody

On modern reloading presses, the 7/8-24 thread is standard and dies are interchangable. Some of the larger rounds use a 1" based die, and the 50 bmg is (I believe) even larger. There are also some older presses and dies that aren't interchangable.

Thumbs up woody & paul

Thanks for the advise, I'm in anchor town picking stuff out now.

thanks

Go with Redding dies, IMHO they are much better than the other makers, and the prices are comparable.

Default Dillon Dies

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Are dies interchangeable with other reloaders other than the die brand?
    Make sure you check out Dillon Dies and presses. Dillon stuff is good for life even if your wife gets mad and hits it with a hammer, really. Many of Dillon's mini-guns are over in Iraq as we speak. Creator

In all likelihood you're going to have to readjust them as you move between presses. Lots of older dies have solid locking rings, rather than the split versions you mostly see today. The old style rely on a lead BB under a screw to engage the threads and lock the ring in place. They can be a real PITA to break free! RCBS for one makes replacement lock rings (the split ones) for retrofitting older dies. A great investment, and mandatory in my book if you are going to be swapping dies between presses.

Default 2nd the motion on Redding dies

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Go with Redding dies, IMHO they are much better than the other makers, and the prices are comparable.
    I agree, Redding is worth the extra money. IMO you get far more quality for the few extra dollars spent over RCBS and other cheaper brands. Nothing wrong with RCBS, I probably have more of them than anything and they work just fine, but you can feel the difference with Redding.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    On modern reloading presses, the 7/8-24 thread is standard and dies are interchangable. Some of the larger rounds use a 1" based die, and the 50 bmg is (I believe) even larger. There are also some older presses and dies that aren't interchangable.
    Paul,
    I do believe you mean 7/8"x14 thread, which are most all modern dies.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yup, I definately fat fingered that one!