Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ak Hunting News: Nelchina Caribou Hunt - Info You Need to Know

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Nelchina Caribou Hunt - Info You Need to Know

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

To all hunters with RC566 Tier 1 permit for the Nelchina caribou hunt beginning August 10th:

This caribou hunt may close by Emergency Order (EO) or bag limit changed to bull only. It is your responsibility to be aware of hunt changes and closures. Call the Nelchina Caribou/Moose Hotline at 907-267-2304 before you hunt for closure and other herd/hunt information. EO information can also be viewed online at:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov (see News and Events).

Please note that evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to the meat if the bag limit changes to bull only.

Prior to October 1, meat from the forequarters, hindquarters, and ribs must remain naturally attached to the bone until delivered to the place where it is processed for human consumption.

Successful hunters must report their harvest within 3 days after the kill. You can report in person, by mail, or online at this link:
    https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=interperm.report_greeting

Unsuccessful hunters must report within 15 days of close of season.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Community Harvest Hunters:

For those hunting under the Community Harvest program, caribou hunters must salvage for human consumption all edible meat from the forequarters, hindquarters, ribs, neck, and backbone, as well as the heart, liver, kidneys, and fat.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Nelchina Caribou Unit 13 Draw Permit Winners:

For those holding a DC480, 481, 482, or 483 permit, please be aware that these hunts could be closed by Emergency Order prior to the August 20th start date. Use the hotline number and web link above to keep informed on any hunt closures before you head to the field.

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

You can also report your kill by calling F&G too.

Right now the hotline says 333 caribou have been killed out of the 2400 allowed; they do not give out the cow moose number killed so far, but I know they're looking for 550.

BUMP
    ...667 taken as of 8-25. 366 Bulls & 301 Cows.Quota 1850 Bulls & 550 Cows. Hotline also states Caribou still widely spread from Eureka to Lake Louise Flats, all around Denali Hwy, and some seen around Myers Lake area.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post
    BUMP
    ...667 taken as of 8-25. 366 Bulls & 301 Cows.Quota 1850 Bulls & 550 Cows. Hotline also states Caribou still widely spread from Eureka to Lake Louise Flats, all around Denali Hwy, and some seen around Myers Lake area.
    Thanks for the update. I'm heading up tonight with my father and nephew in an attempt to put my nephew on his first big game animal. Glad to see the numbers - so much for all of the fears of this hunt closing down in the first few days.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post
    BUMP
    Where is Myers Lake? Anyone know? I looked on a map and couldn't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Where is Myers Lake? Anyone know? I looked on a map and couldn't find it anywhere.
    About 15 miles south of Paxson along the Richardson Highway.

I believe its spelled Meiers Lake. Sourdough Controlled Use area vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I believe its spelled Meiers Lake. Sourdough Controlled Use area vicinity.
    Yes, it is spelled Meiers Lake. Thanks.

Update... as of 8-30-11
    855 Caribou harvested 531 Bulls / 324 Cows.

Unbelievably small numbers. Why? Is it because they forced permit holder to only hunt moose in GMU13?

I beleive there were 2400-2700 Tier 1 applicants, which all received permits. With receiving that permit you are to hunt moose only unit 13. So with the Moose season opening today, I see the numbers climbing quite fast, permit holders filling there tag while out moose hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Unbelievably small numbers. Why? Is it because they forced permit holder to only hunt moose in GMU13?
    They don't really seem all that low to me. The drawing permit holders have only had 10 days to hunt, the caribou are much more spread out this time of year compared to the October/November time period, and most large numbers of caribou that folks have reported seeing have been primarily cows and calves. We saw approximately 300 animals on August 13th, and not more than 6-8 of them were bulls. With drawing permit hunters restricted to bulls, that is sure to restrict success rates. Additionally, recent reports seem to indicate that concentrations of animals have moved away from the roads and other easily accessible areas. In the same area we saw 300 animals we only saw 1 two weeks later in the same amount of time afield. Other hunters we spoke to reported seeing between zero and five on average. The numbers are low...but not really surprisingly low to me.

My son (13 years old) bagged his first bou on monday up in the Tangles!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

Default Dc 482

My wife has a DC 482 Caribou permit. Any Caribou between Cantwell and Maclaren River?

Quote Originally Posted by Trophypro View Post
    My wife has a DC 482 Caribou permit. Any Caribou between Cantwell and Maclaren River?
    Yep, but they're spread relatively thin. Hunt the mountains and, if you're able, hunt high. The ones I saw this past weekend were over 2,000' above the valley floors.

Saw a huge piece of velvet where several head had watered. Saw 2 bulls near the road. Didn't take my gun as I was fishing. Oops!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Fresh report for today. The bou are herding up a bit. Groups of 25 to 50 bou were seen this weekend.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

That's good to hear I might be heading up to help a friend fill his permit on Tuesday. His tag is for cantwell side hopefully we can find one for him.

This weekend it was pretty warm and not many critters near the road. Those that were were moving fast and hard to get in front of.

Looks like the cow harvest is done. One more day to take a cow as the hunt switches to BULL ONLY at 11:59 PM on 9/15. still around 900 bulls still available.

Default How is it that this permit has been so "unobtainable" for so long, until this year?

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Looks like the cow harvest is done. One more day to take a cow as the hunt switches to BULL ONLY at 11:59 PM on 9/15. still around 900 bulls still available.
    Please 'splain it to me, because I don't get it.

I thought making this permit a wide open deal would bring so many hunters that the whole shebang would get shut down in a matter of days. That's why I made sure I was in the right place on opening morning.

In retrospect, I wish I'd have waited a bit longer to go fill my permit.

A question comes to mind: How is it that making this hunt wide open like this year hasn't been done until now? Is it because this year there are more caribou that need harvesting? Or is it because so many hunters refused to participate in the "must moose hunt GMU 13" clause? Or something else?

Sorry if I'm just being dense here, but I don't get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast