Thread: Kicker plumbing problems

Default Kicker plumbing problems

Mercury 9.9 Big Foot kicker is plumbed with a quick disconnect coming out the back of the transom. Can't seem to get any gas to the motor and the problem seems to be the QD fitting is not tight allowing air in and gas to leak out.
    Not sure why the previous owner used a QD set up as there is no reason to remove the kicker.

Any suggestions? Really don't need the QD but unsure of how to proceed with fixing it.
    Tennessee

It could be the o-ring in the q/c is cracked and hence is letting in air and the line won't hold a prime. I had that problem with my main, as at the racor I have it plumbed to the main tank, and a q/c line to run portable tanks.

I'd inspect the q/c and/or see if a replacemen does the trick.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

With the q/c I can pump the carb full of fuel, disconnect fuel, flush the motor, and run the carb dry. I'd like to think this helps keep the fuel bowl in the carb from sludging up.

Stupid Question....But is the valve turned on in your engine compartment?? I have the same QD setup on a 2005 TJ and the fuel line is a SOB to get on and off of the QD fitting but it does fit tight if you force it.

Not a stupid question. Fuel valve is opened. Gas would occassionly leak out of the fitting when we were playing with it as you could wiggle it around and hear air escaping. Will play around with it later today and see if it simply wasnt installed correctly.
    Will check the o ring as well. Any ideas who sells a replacement locally?
    Tennessee

Found a replacement QD female fitting at West Marine. Changed it out and it seemed to do the trick. Those little 4 stroke kickers take some warming up!
    Tennessee

Wall mart in ER sells replacments most of the problems on kicker gas are hoses, primer bulbs or connectors. I replace them every 5 years or so. Tough to diagnose also, symptoms of a small leak usally on suction side, (90% of pump problems are on suction side of pump) are kicker dies at extended idle. Lots of after market connectors are not 100% on fitting. Honda changed there fuel connections so you have to retro. the female side (motor side) to find a male hose connector that will work. That little tibit cost me lots of time and money to figure out!