Thread: Thank You to the Alaska Freshwater Fishing Forum!!!

Default Thank You to the Alaska Freshwater Fishing Forum!!!

I wanted to post up a "Thank You" note to all of you that helped this new guy prepare for a trip to Alaska. Some of you contributed by answering my questions directly and many more of you helped by contributing through other discussions that I read and learned from. I made my trip to Alaska and fished the Russian River confluence August 3 through the morning of August 7 and had a blast. I did really well my first 3 days and cauge lots of chromers and ended the last two days with almost all tomatoes which were still great fun to catch. I saw bears every day, met tons of great fisherman and fisherwomen, learned a lot about how to catch sockeye, and have an even deeper respect for Alaska and those people who live there. I can't wait for my next trip!

It is great to hear you had such a fantanstic time. You know they say once you've been to Alaska you develop an itch that can't be cured until you move here.

Good to hear T. Chris. Glad you enjoyed your time and that your fishing was successful. It's always cool to hear about people's first experience with AK
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    It is great to hear you had such a fantanstic time. You know they say once you've been to Alaska you develop an itch that can't be cured until you move here.
    Hopefully u didn't pick up the itch that can't be cured at Chilkoot charlies HA HA HA

Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States

That's good to hear. I've just started reading as much as I can for next year's first trip to Alaska for myself. What's up with those names? Do they indicate the size of the Sockeye?

Quote Originally Posted by outbackpaul View Post
    That's good to hear. I've just started reading as much as I can for next year's first trip to Alaska for myself. What's up with those names? Do they indicate the size of the Sockeye?
    Chrome means they are fresh and still silver colored. They call em tomoatoes or fire trucks when they have reached spawn phase and changed color. They meat isnt any good at that point and the fish wont live a lot longer.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If referring to chromers and tomatoes, they refer to color. The chromers have spent less time in the fresh water, not as far along in the cycle that eventually changes them into tomatoes, which is when they get red. Not too long after they get red, they start getting funky and knarly changes, then die. And so goes the cycle of the pacific salmon.

-Dan

Dang... Dan you in NC too huh? I'm in Rocky Mount. So the better meat is when they are chromers?

For me they are chrome in the ocean and once they are in the river my rating would give them bright at best. They change in the fresh water fast.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackpaul View Post
    Dang... Dan you in NC too huh? I'm in Rocky Mount. So the better meat is when they are chromers?

I don't fish for reds, but yeah, brighter fish is better for the table. I am in Rockingham and riding through your town tonight on way to DC. Flying up to Alaska for a week of fishing on the Upper Kenai. Sent you a visitor message earlier today. Being a new member, you can't receive or send private messages yet, perhaps after 10 posts or so you can. For now, you can reply to the visitor messages though. Any basic questions on Alaska, let me know. Spent two years up there and get back 2-3 times a year fishing. I know more than most in NC about Alaska at any rate. Tons of info on the forum to help you plan your trip.

Tomato...

-Dan

Nice note. Sounds like you did your homework too -
    Glad it paid off!

I am on page 10 of reading. I'll be doing a lot of reading this week since I'm off work. I've ordered the book "The Highway Angler" too.

Smile Chrome versus bright . .

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    For me they are chrome in the ocean and once they are in the river my rating would give them bright at best. They change in the fresh water fast.
    I'd have to agree . . . . once they hit fresh water, they go in the smoker around here. That said, it's only because I have the option. Ate lots of bright sockeye before I could opt for salt-caught fish.

Best wishes . . .

We fish near Soldotna and they are chrome there. Fresh from the ocean. They are incredible table fare. i dont keep any blushed fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Sometimes the itch just keeps on itching!
    Piscor Ergo Sum