Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend on the Russian with Jerks

Default Weekend on the Russian with Jerks

Hey all

Spent some time fishing the Russian this past weekend. We did pretty good catching some nice chromers and half brights and a lot of darker ones. Awesome time as always. Not too many nice ones in the river but the mouth was ok. Saw a family of black bears.

I have something to gripe about thou. Witnessed this younger guy catch these red fire engines, unhook them, and then throwing the fish as far as he could back into the river! I mean he would really toss these fish 8-10 yards!!!! and laugh about it. His parent and girlfriend were there too and just watched and smiled. This guy was in his 20s and not a child. I was fuming!

After several fish being mistreated that way, the guy next to him spoke up and really proceeded to chew him out loud and clear. The response from the abuser? "I don't care. They are ugly nasty creatures." Harsh words were exchanged. His parents didn't say a word, just minded their own business. The abuser finally said "Ok, since it offends you guys so much I'll stop!" and went back to fishing. I was really disgusted.

Then on the trail back to parking ran into two guys laughing. They said that they just pepper sprayed a bear because it crossed the trail in front of them. They were in no danger. One guy said "Yeah, we wanted to see if this spray stuff really worked". Ok. Huh. What?!?!

Fishing was pretty good, couple of people not so. Usually no problems just another Russian trip.

Theres not enough troopers to go around. I'd rather have the troopers patrolling the jagoffs on highway so hopefully they can curtail anymore fatalities. IMO its up to us to police our recreation areas. You should have clubbed the buster into submission and tossed him 8 to 10 yards into the river. The 2 nimrods w/ the pepper spray should have been subdued and you should have emptied the contents up their nose. I realize thats all illegal but what else can we do to send a message?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Theres not enough troopers to go around. I'd rather have the troopers patrolling the jagoffs on highway so hopefully they can curtail anymore fatalities. IMO its up to us to police our recreation areas. You should have clubbed the buster into submission and tossed him 8 to 10 yards into the river. The 2 nimrods w/ the pepper spray should have been subdued and you should have emptied the contents up their nose. I realize thats all illegal but what else can we do to send a message?
    Next time sell them an empty can of bear spray! As for the salmon toss well that is pretty crappy, out side of a few people telling him to knock it off, not much I am affraid.

i was floating from the ferry to jims a couple weekends ago, and saw a father son and daughter. rippin pixies though the water just snagging reds...what killed is these kids are going to grow up thinking its ok and just continue to do it... we defiantly need more troopers

Id love to stomp them in the gonads then pepper spray their swollen parts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Hey all

Spent some time fishing the Russian this past weekend. We did pretty good catching some nice chromers and half brights and a lot of darker ones. Awesome time as always. Not too many nice ones in the river but the mouth was ok. Saw a family of black bears.

I have something to gripe about thou. Witnessed this younger guy catch these red fire engines, unhook them, and then throwing the fish as far as he could back into the river! I mean he would really toss these fish 8-10 yards!!!! and laugh about it. His parent and girlfriend were there too and just watched and smiled. This guy was in his 20s and not a child. I was fuming!

After several fish being mistreated that way, the guy next to him spoke up and really proceeded to chew him out loud and clear. The response from the abuser? "I don't care. They are ugly nasty creatures." Harsh words were exchanged. His parents didn't say a word, just minded their own business. The abuser finally said "Ok, since it offends you guys so much I'll stop!" and went back to fishing. I was really disgusted.

Then on the trail back to parking ran into two guys laughing. They said that they just pepper sprayed a bear because it crossed the trail in front of them. They were in no danger. One guy said "Yeah, we wanted to see if this spray stuff really worked". Ok. Huh. What?!?!

Fishing was pretty good, couple of people not so. Usually no problems just another Russian trip.
    Why gripe about it here? If you were so "disgusted" and "fuming" over how this guy was treating fish, then why didn't you say/do something about it? From your post, it appears you waited for someone else to step up and say something.

Probably no hope for some jerks but at the same time I've nicely pointing out things people were doing illegally and most of the time met with a welcome response. Yesterday for example I saw someone fishing with a bead ahead of his fly his line at the mouth of the Russian and simply told him it was not legal at this time. He said he didn't know, thanked me, and promptly took it off. Likewise for people fishing with hooks that were too large or yarn tied to the hook - a lot of people have good intentions but simply don't know the regs.

At the same time I've run into people that told me things that simply were not true - like Sat. when I was told it was against federal law to take whole fish home! He thought it was required to fillet them at the river.

I did see two forest service fed guys at the river and talked to them about enforcement. Apparently either the feds or the state can enforce the law there. They did give me a card and said they needed more comments from the public on enforcing the laws. I'll post the public comment site when I find the card.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

It's the same jagoffs that act like this on the river that end up passage in double yellow or drinking and driving.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    It's the same jagoffs that act like this on the river that end up passage in double yellow or drinking and driving.
    Not really a fair assumption, but I see the point.

Should've left a bunch of dry wall screws in their parking slip... they can walk their happy ******* back to Anchorage.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Sorry pike but I'm younger 24 and I've been around a lot of different folks and in my opinion if you don't have the common sense to follow the law on the river or the ethical compass then that's often the same type of person that won't follow the law on the highway. The it doesn't apply to me group and I have to get back to anchorage in an hour types

It's amazing in this day and age of modern technology with so many people carrying digital cameras/smart phones with video capability that people wouldn't so blatantly violate. More people need to record these actions and email the videos to adf&g.

More people need ass whippings

Being that so many folks drink beer while fishing, I am surprised it didn't happen in this case.

Sounds to me like dumb and dumber got off easy.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

if i saw it i would have thrown finished my ipa and threw the bottle at him. and then of course picking up the pieces and disposing them in a garbage.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    if i saw it i would have thrown finished my ipa and threw the bottle at him. and then of course picking up the pieces and disposing them in a garbage.
    The pieces of the jagoff or your IPA bottle?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

the ipa of course. but i would make sure it was a stone because it is larger then the alaskan ipa bottles
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

This reminds me when I was up at Larson Creek in Talkeetna last weekend.

We were red fishing and this younger kid (maybe 10-12) was fishing for dollies and rainbows using eggs. He was hooking a lot, but then he'd walk them around and dangle them in the air before unhooking them. Then the eggs were of course half way down their belly, and instead of cutting his line, he was in there with pliers ripping them out. I calmly approached him and his mom after I saw him kill 2 fish and let them know what they were doing was illegal/wrong.

The part that bugged me most was his parents just sat and had a blast watching him, never saying anything to him.

I believe this behavior is becoming the rule and not the exception. Had an interesting leadership seminar about trying to understand "generation y". The short story that mass media created a generation of parents that have sheltered their kids (out of fear) to the point that they lack coping skills and that the reduced interaction with other kids has stunted their ability to tell the difference between right and wrong.

I know MANY people at work that OPENLY talk about how they get away with breaking the laws. I know a guy who took 14 silvers home from Jim's a few nights ago. When people confront him, he just tells them he has a proxy (he does have ONE person he proxy fishes for) and keeps fishing. Over time he has won over more of the young guys with his attitude than I have been able to win over by trying to tell them the right thing to do.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Theres not enough troopers to go around. I'd rather have the troopers patrolling the jagoffs on highway so hopefully they can curtail anymore fatalities. IMO its up to us to police our recreation areas.
    Different troopers since we went back to the split between brown shirts and blue shirts., but you kow that. We do need more troopers. I was at Lake Creek and there are people there, usually foriegners, catching their limit of silvers in the morning, cleaning them then going back out for another limit. There's also a guide up there guiding without a license. He always says, "They are just frineds." And yes, I called it in to Wildlife Safeguard but too few troopers to do everything they are expected to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    There's also a guide up there guiding without a license.
    I wonder what the fine is for that?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

who hasn't had a chum throwing contest sometime in their life?

The best is when people do illegal things in front of 2 or 3 of us wearing ADF&G hats... Idiots
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast