Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best all around Mode of transportation for hunting.

Default Best all around Mode of transportation for hunting.

Given any mode of transportation for hunting what do you think is the best? Dont think about money with this question.

Airplane, 4-wheeler, boat, argo ect.

This is kind of a tough one for me. Airplane would sure be nice to own, but I got to thinking about it and your kind of limited to how far you can hunt from wherever you can land. Got to pack the moose back to the plane. Also weather holds would be inconvienent. But you can get to lots of land with an airplane.

In the end Im thinking ATV, Argo is still the best all around hunting transportation up here.

Your feet.
    Proud to be an American!

Raft has a lot going for it, as long as you restrain yourself from chasing that certain bull into the middle of the swamp beyond the river before shooting it....
    One of the cons is access to put in and take out spots on our rivers that don't involve planes.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Your feet.

+1! They will get you in to places nothing else can!

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Your feet.
    YEP, Feet. The only way to get where others can not get too.

helicopter

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    YEP, Feet. The only way to get where others are unwilling to get to.
    There; fixed it for ya...
    Proud to be an American!

Airplane on floats. You can get to a lot of lakes and rivers, then carry a raft in the plane to take you where you want to go and retrieve your moose or other game. Wheelers are second best.

Another vote for feet.

Considering I'm currently experiencing one of those plane weather delays, I can't help but thinking that had I elected to use my feet, it would have taken one more uncontrollable factor out of the equation. Of course... I would have needed to start walking DAYS ago. Now nothing to do but sit and wait.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Lets clarify if we are talking about transport to the hunting area or hunting style?
    Unless you walk into your back forty and hunt you are using some type of transportation.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Your feet.
    My sentiments EXACTLY !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Lets clarify if we are talking about transport to the hunting area or hunting style?
    Unless you walk into your back forty and hunt you are using some type of transportation.
    Mike
    This was my transport to my hunting area last year. Still foot-powered.

So far I've been part of successful hunts that have incorporated ATVs, planes on floats, planes on wheels, boats, bicycles, and my feet. Hard to pick a favorite - they all have their uses and with proper planning can do a lot to get you into some pretty remote areas.

But if you want to get technical - I like to hunt in the high country, and a plane is (typically) the best bet in that arena.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

After giving the OP a few moments thought and looking beyond the obvious best mode, I see that you are asking for the best motorized alternative... assuming you have a car/truck to take you places where you can then put your feet to use.

I have an ATV and own a few boats, never could afford an airplane. Personaly, I prefer using a boat to get to places my truck cannot go, establish a camp and began hunting on foot from there.

An ATV is a GREAT DEAL more effort per mile when compared to a boat and as silly as it may sound to some, more limiting in places one can go. Again I use(d) my ATV to get to a place to establish a camp and then hunt on foot.

I have tried once or twice hunting with a friend or two when ATV was our mode of transportation to the hunt area and hated it, as with many who employ ATV's they would not get off of them to investigate any terrain, etc. This is very common amougnst those who I have seen during hunting season, it is like a sirens call from the soft warm vinyl seat to the butt cheeks of the hunter.

A boat will open more in square mileage, and I have never had the desire to want sit in my boat and "road hunt" from it.

Default Water access is imo best all-around mode of transportation

As far as non-motorized water access, hard to beat this:

When you can't line, or just want a break from lining in the slower pools, you can pole:

Coming down a chute with a load of moose:

As far as motorized water access, can still do it relatively cheap with a freight canoe or jon boat, I use a jon boat with godevil, just have to have enough water.

Overall, best all-around mode involves water access of some kind imo. Could also be fly-in float hunt, using a pakraft or raft, really impressed with the Alpackas for backpacking/floating, use on sheep hunts etc.

Looks like you have serious skill handling that canoe, Mark.

Good replies guys. I think I asked the question a little too open ended. What Im thinking about is moose/bear hunting in paticular. Being able to set up a nice camp, with a big tent, stove, good food. Being able to get out aways from people.

The problem I have with feet is that the style of camp I like to be in is huge. Moose are huge. Last year I did use my feet to get a moose, but that was just a little afternoon hunt, and I stopped walking 1/2 mile from the truck to watch a clearing. So that worked but again I wasnt camping and the pack out was short.

The problem I see with the plane is that I would need a big one to haul what I want to haul. Also again, Im not willing to pack a moose very far. Been there, done that. so that means Im limited to pretty much hunting where I can land the plane.

I have hunted from a boat some, mostly on the su. The problem I had with that was pretty much the same as the feet problem. Dont want to shoot a moose to far from the boat. Also, I wasnt thrilled with the glassing oppurtinities from the brushy river.

The Atv's big down fall is trails. Where there is a trail, there is tons of people. Also with the rate that land is getting locked up, its getting harder to make your own trails, as well as having to drive further and further to get to atv' able land. but, atv's also arent limited by weight and weather. They cant cross real deep rivers though so lots of good hunting ground gets unexplored.

Your feet.

On Aug. 9, 2011 Hell froze over.....

'Cause I agreed with Frank on something.

Rep sent.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

If cost is truly no concern, then AH64 Apache Attack Helicopter or maybe an Osprey. Just kidding about the military stuff. But if you had $billions, a long-range civilian helo would allow you to use your feet in more interesting and remote places. Just think, for example, you could just fly north from Dillingham and land anywhere you want, set up camp, and foot-hike anywhere you want. Would be awesome.

well helicopters cant be used for hunting up here. Not even transportation of camp

I agree with the feet. That is all I use after the truck is parked and I have enjoyed it greatly. Probably do not get as much game as the guys with all the toys, but I have fun and that is what matters.

If money were no object, I would get a boat. Seems more guys have success with a boat than any other mode of transport. Plus you can use it for fishing and other stuff besides hunting.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast