Thread: Kenai

Default Kenai

I will be staying at the lower kenai aug 22 - sept 2. I have a choice of 5 trips ocean (anchor point) or river. I am leaning toward ocean (all day, with emphesis on gore point). If i do the lower kenai river (guide is to limit of 2 - then done). So i thought i go do the rivers on my own where the action is - silvers is probably it.

What size single hook do you recommend for spinners and for loop knoting eggs, sardines or shrimp. I am a 101 airborn vietnam vet, this just may be it for me guys so i am going all out in every way. Considering a flyout for silvers.

All i want to do is catch fish - silvers preferably . Cut up and have fun with the boys at the vfw and gwin's. I have a history of going to the long hard limits to find solitude and fish. I am a well traveled hunter, but never a big time fishing trip. The bears give me a bit of concern as i will be on my own.

Any and all your input would be appreciated. I want to get this trip right to the smallest rigging and location detail.

Quote Originally Posted by justfun View Post
    I will be staying at the lower kenai aug 22 - sept 2. I have a choice of 5 trips ocean (anchor point) or river. I am leaning toward ocean (all day, with emphesis on gore point). If i do the lower kenai river (guide is to limit of 2 - then done). So i thought i go do the rivers on my own where the action is - silvers is probably it.

What size single hook do you recommend for spinners and for loop knoting eggs, sardines or shrimp. I am a 101 airborn vietnam vet, this just may be it for me guys so i am going all out in every way. Considering a flyout for silvers.

All i want to do is catch fish - silvers preferably . Cut up and have fun with the boys at the vfw and gwin's. I have a history of going to the long hard limits to find solitude and fish. I am a well traveled hunter, but never a big time fishing trip. The bears give me a bit of concern as i will be on my own.

Any and all your input would be appreciated. I want to get this trip right to the smallest rigging and location detail.
    I like big hooks, I use 5/0 to 7/0 for egg fishing, seems to hook some of the egg steelers better. For spinners I run whatever they come with, 3/0 or 4/0 I think depending on the size. Take a pocket full of #4-6 vibrax, I prefer the #6 but I know lots of guys love the #4s. Chartruse and pink seem to catch the most fish to me, but we've had some great days with the metallic blue ones too.

I don't fish the Kenai from shore but I belive plunking eggs from Swiftwater campground or Cunningham park can be fairly good fishing. There are several guides that run trips in the upper river for silver/trout combos, catch your 2 silvers early and then trout fish the rest of the day. I would highly recommend one of those trips. You may be a bit early for one but its worth asking.

Gwins is shutdown, not sure why but its falling down almost it appears.

Limon32 you are a good man and I thank you. If you want to give me a guide, then I travel with their contact info. It is just good that I am on the right track to have fun. If you can add anything, great. I am thinking of the Swanson River to just cut and run. So far, it seems that I just have to wait for the fishing reports to show some good timing. Or I just have to go chase. Just want to arive ready in mins and be flexable to the tides and runs.

Someone in there last year told me their septic drain field wasn't big enough even though it had been there for years.

A real shame to see it go. Business looks pretty slow down there this year and there may be more to go. We couldn't find a place open to fix up breakfast last Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Gwins is shutdown, not sure why but its falling down almost it appears.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak, you are right. 5K miles away it is the story. Soldotna posted in their pape that they got caught with the Red run and is getting it together. Me, I hav a cabin. I wil be using it as a base camp. What i am seeking is the reality of the trip. As far as I am concerned, I wil have a car and wil go to wherever I have to to get this trip right. I just need the what I posted and some friends along the way. I just want to get my gear and s hit in order to have a ball.

Hope you have a great stay!

I got a free interview trip from an oil company for me and my family in 1981 to come up and look the place over and when they offered me a job we all moved up. After living many other place including a couple of overseas assignments I'm still loving it here.

Bring some good rain gear - you may be hitting some showers along with some fantastic days. Fishing for silvers in the Russian on a beautiful warm sunny day in early Sept. is an unforgetable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by justfun View Post
    tvfinak, you are right. 5K miles away it is the story. Soldotna posted in their pape that they got caught with the Red run and is getting it together. Me, I hav a cabin. I wil be using it as a base camp. What i am seeking is the reality of the trip. As far as I am concerned, I wil have a car and wil go to wherever I have to to get this trip right. I just need the what I posted and some friends along the way. I just want to get my gear and s hit in order to have a ball.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK