Thread: Reduced pressure cooker time for smoked salmon?

Default Reduced pressure cooker time for smoked salmon?

So we have smoked and canned salmon in the past and I have never really paid attention to the time my wife leaves the pints in the canner until now. She said all the recipes call for 110 min at 10psi even for smoked. I know this is for raw salmon, but hot smoked "cooked" salmon? Any ideas on less time? Seems like way overkill to me.

Mountaintrekker

I have to agree with your wife. My recipe canner book calls for 100 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure for here in the interior. And it really does not degrade the flavor or texture to go a hair longer.

Chris

One word Botcholism (sp). A few minutes extra is worth decreasing that chance.

Canning time is strict. 100 continuous minutes minimum at 10psi or greater. If the pressure falls below 10psi you're supposed to get it back to 10psi or greater and restart the 100 minute cook time.

The trick to canning smoked salmon is to lightly cold smoke the fish and then can normally. Even slightly cooked while smoking will result in tough, dry fish out of the jar. At least it always has for me. Since canning seems to intensify smoke flavor we smoke cold for 25-30 minutes and then can as usual. Fish that gets hard still works when mixed with cream cheese as spread. Yum!

All good advice above. I cold smoke before canning similar to what Mr.Pid recommended. Your wife knows what she's doing, best not to interfere.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

+ what Mr Pid said...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    One word Botcholism (sp). A few minutes extra is worth decreasing that chance.
    Clostridium Botulinum is what you are referring to. The cook time/pressure in the canning process isn't just to cook the product, but to inactivate the spores that are in and on just about everything. Failure to do so WILL make you sick...and quite possibly worse.

Alright alright! She is correct. Yes, my wife is right, there... said it.
    We have been smoking lightly and canning... soooo good! The spread I came up with is canned reds with cream cheese, capers, green onions and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Trust me... your welcome!

Mountaintrekker