Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Fullbush!

Thumbs up Thank you, Fullbush!

I was working on putting salmon into jars tonight, and as I often do while packaging and preserving our catch, I was reflecting on where my food came from and what it went through to make it to my plate. As I was working through my sockeye from the Kenai and Fish Creek, it occurred to me that for the first time I was putting a few pink salmon into jars from Prince William Sound. I don't usually target pinks, but while trolling for silvers in July we boated a few pinks that were so fresh that we had to keep 'em for the winter. As I thought through this, Fullbush came to mind. The man takes some heat on here, but as he's fond of pointing out, as a gillnetter in PWS he contributes a portion of his paycheck to PWSAC which stocks most of the pinks that return to PWS. There might be some issues with the numbers of pinks that they put in the ocean to compete with other endemic species, but as one who will be eating the bounty of the PWS pinks this summer, Fullbush, sir, my hat is off to you. Cheers!

+1 to that.

I'll be enjoying catching some of those giant Valdez silvers soon, courtesy of the commercial fisherman as well.

Any sport fishing enthusiasts who partake in just about any of PWS's many salmon fisheries should not forget who pays to make sure they keep coming back.

Ah yes, silvers - I shouldn't forget to mention that I was able to put my mother-in-law on her first salmon this summer, in addition to silvers for my father-in-law, friends, wife, and myself. I'm not sure how many of these were wild or hatchery-raised, but they sure were fun (and tasty) regardless!

Great family photo! Looks like everyone had a good time.

The man takes some heat on here, ??? ....... I think he does a pretty good job of warmin' the place up once in a while too..
    Good on ya fullbush, way to put yer money where yer mouth is.

Brian, that sure is some fine lookin' preserves.

So what is the recipe for jarring salmon? And then how do you use it once jarred?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hunts_with_stick View Post
    So what is the recipe for jarring salmon? And then how do you use it once jarred?

Tim
    Here is a help full site from our friends at UAF. The only thing I do differently is that I put the skin off before I can my fish.
    http://www.uaf.edu/ces/preservingala...nty/index.html
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...it occurred to me that for the first time I was putting a few pink salmon into jars from Prince William Sound. I don't usually target pinks, but while trolling for silvers in July we boated a few pinks that were so fresh that we had to keep 'em for the winter.
    If you want a treat, put a couple of tablespoons of your favorite salsa in each half-pint jar before closing. After a friend turned us onto that, fully half our canned salmon is pinks now. The results are so good you'll quickly agree that the best way to eat it is right from the jar with a large fork!

BrownBear - Great suggestion! I'll have to give that a shot next year.

slimm - Oh, I know. Some of the above was written with a laugh.

Hunts_with_stick - Check out that UAF website that was linked to. That's where I figured out how to do it. Basically, I just put in a half teaspoon of seasoned salt and either a half or whole sliced up jalepeno or habenero pepper (or just salt without the pepper). I use it primarily for sandwiches like one would use tuna, but they're also great for salmon burgers, salmon dip, salmon spread, etc. Lots of options, and it keeps in the jars for years.

If you ever have a bad batch of smoked salmon (smoked too long and dry as a camel turd or raw and you don't have time to finish) you can can that as well. My wife is very fond of canned smoked salmon.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Hey Brian,
    You forgot to post of pic of the baby in a cage!! that was my favorite when i stopped and chatted with you guys!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    BrownBear - Great suggestion! I'll have to give that a shot next year.
    I heartily recommend Herdez Casaria, the hot version. We toss a garlic clove in each jar as well, but it's great with just the salsa.

FB, your bush runneth over!

and whats all this about baby cages? Brilliant.

You guys are tops in my book! I'm sitting here on the boat in the Whittier harbor as we speak on my $9.99 per day GCI wireless hookup, it took 10 minutes for this page to load but I'm glad I waited. The Ester pink return looks weak at best, there is an announcement at 2pm today, as of yesterday they were at 73 percent on cost recovery. If we don't get an opener tomorrow, I'm headed to Cordova to put on the silver gear.
    Brian it looks like you and the family are gonna have some fine eating this winter I commend you for being a dedicated family man they sure look happy.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

those habenero ones look like they might have a little kick!

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post

and whats all this about baby cages? Brilliant.
    Ah yes, you've gotta keep 'em confined to get much done on the water. Calling it a "cage" might be overstating it a bit, though...and besides, he obviously liked his temporary quarters.

Okay, I see you've already gone over the instructions...

He took the roof off the "cage" for the picture to make it look better. Guess it was better than storing him in a shrimp pot?? All in good fun, baby was sound asleep when i pulled up to those guys.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The Ester pink return looks weak at best, there is an announcement at 2pm today, as of yesterday they were at 73 percent on cost recovery. If we don't get an opener tomorrow, I'm headed to Cordova to put on the silver gear.
    Jeez, FB, if I'd known you were tied up yesterday I would have swung by to say hi as I was passing thru the harbor to take one of my sons and two nephews out fishing. I hear what you're saying about weak pinks. Yesterday, we spent most of our time around Pigot and south Culross/Applegate and hardly saw any jumpers at all...and I think we only had to shake 2 pinks off the trolling gear all day. Very different from last week when they were almost a nuisance while trying to catch a few silvers...and jumping all over the place.

Fingers crossed they show up for you...maybe they're still in the lower Sound?

I'll add myself to the mix of pink canners. Each year I'll can a batch or two of fresh pinks (skin off with and w/out smoke & some spices, jalapenos & sauce) for the winter. I find this is the best way to eat pinks since I don't have to mess with their small bones, and we truly like the flavor. It's a nice mix with the reds and silvers that get some canning action too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast