Thread: I just want to hunt!

Default I just want to hunt!

Fishing season is over and I've got a new itch. I need to hunt! (And watch Football haha)! Now I did a hunt in May to the Denali highway for Brown Bear,and we saw plenty of Moose and Caribou. Problem is I don't have a Tier one tag. So what I am looking for is somewhere I can get all three (Caribou, Moose, and Brown Bear). Primary being the Caribou. I am thinking the Haul rd is going to be our best bet but I just don't even know where to start. I'm not expecting anyone to give me their honey hole. I am just asking for a starting point where my three friends and I will have a good chance. Also There is a fifty fifty chance we will have a four wheeler so I would like comments for either which way. After reading your posts for the last 9 months I know I am asking the right people. Any Idea's are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Matt

With regards to the Haul Road, an ATV won't do you any good (it is non-motorized north of the Yukon River bridge) and you won't be able to hunt moose or brown bear within 5 miles of the road. You can hunt caribou and will almost certainly see good numbers, but it is bowhunting only within 5 miles of the road. If you wanted to hunt with rifles you can hike 5+ miles off the road, but it is a very tough hike with soft, spongy, ankle-rolling ground being the norm.

If I were you, I would look hard at the 40 Mile hunt off the Taylor Highway (north of Tok - somewhere around the Chicken area). In that area you can target all three species and can use ATVs. There is plenty written here about the hunt from the past few years, so read up and see if that's what you're looking for. If memory serves, the caribou hunt up that way starts in late August, so you've still got a bit of time to plan.

Awesome thanks Brian Ill look into that!

Okay checked on the chicken area. And it requires a permit. I was misinformed when I bought my license in december so I have no permits. If you know something I don't (highly likely) awesome! I was lookin at area 25 and it only needs a harvest tag. Are there any caribou there or no?

Nope, it doesn't require a permit - at least not a drawing permit. That hunt is governed by registration permit, meaning that you have to sign up (it can be done online in most cases) and that the hunt can be closed mid-season if the harvest quota is met. In past years that particular hunt was closed in as short as four days, but with the move to the later start date (it used to start August 10th) last year the hunt did not close until late September. The only kickers with the registration hunt is that you need to check in with the hotline before going afield to make sure that its still open and that you need to report your success quickly after your hunt so that they can accurately manage the hunt.

Awesome! You may have hit Hero status in my book. I will look into that and work on it! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Awesome! You may have hit Hero status in my book. I will look into that and work on it! Thanks again!
    Ha! Well...save the accolades for the end of your hunt when you're successful. If that works out (or anything else, for that matter), bring the pictures and I'll buy the beer (or coffee).

I believe it IS a permit hunt....just not a draw hunt. I know, splitting hairs but f&g are funny like that. You can get your permit at the Tok F&G office.
    Regards.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Thanks for all the help but are there any other options? I just want to cover all my bases... And so I don't piss off any of the long time locals Ill stress again the point that I don't want honey holes I just want a starting point so we can explore are options from there and find our own favorite spot in the region. Unfortunately I am only stationed here for four years and maybe up to eight. So a little boost is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Weather permitting: Would suggest scouting Palmer Creek on the 19'th of Aug. as the area will open for 50"+ moose or "FOUR" tines. This is a virgin area that has not had moose hunting allowed for over 40+ years. Set-up a nice camp. Season starts 20'th. I don't expect the hog bulls to last 7 days. You will need good optics. The genetics are good we found a 73" bull near, but not in Palmer Creek.

Now.........NO ONE can squeal that I gave away their spot, as area has been closed for moose hunting for more than 40 years. It is also open for Black Bear now.

And THANK YOU, for your service. Your all hero's to me.

AGL thanks for the post Unfortunately my time is limited to the 1st week of sept. Although I may have to see if I can change that! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    AGL thanks for the post Unfortunately my time is limited to the 1st week of sept. Although I may have to see if I can change that! Thanks again!
    Aug. 20'th is a Saturday. Can you hunt Sat. & Sunday.......?

What are the legal issues for carrying firearms within that 5 mile corridor if you are on a bow hunt guys? I figure for bear protection it likely is legal ?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Aug. 20'th is a Saturday. Can you hunt Sat. & Sunday.......?
    I would love to say yes I could hunt the two days but my wife will be back tomorrow from a long trip and I will be leaving for a 10 day hunt a week and a half later. I guess I'll see what the boss says. haha Maybe I can get her to go with me.

Brown bear on the haul road had been open for about two seasons it seems like, no permit required as of 2010 drawing time, got refunded for putting in for the tag. So if bow certified, could go for bou and brown bear with bow, then on way home hunt FMA if season is open for moose when you go, any bull in city limits. Plus a few of the units up there around fairbanks is any bull with rifle too.

I have looked into this and but I don't have a bow as of yet. I used to have a bow when I lived in Pennsylvania 9 years ago but haven't honestly touched one since. I plan on working on that for next season, but for this season I will be stuck with my good ole rifle. Thank you for all the info for and I will look into that any bull moose.