Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Steelhead

Default Kodiak Steelhead

I have an opportunity to chase steelhead this spring on Kodiak....I chase lots of rainbows here in Southwest, but am curious as to what patterns for flyfishing and any other tricks that you guys like to use for steelhead. I'm plannin on the glo bugs (maybe beads) Purple and black ESL's and in general some black bunnies....anything else I can add to my arsenal! Always up for learnin new tricks.

Default huh

I didn't even know there were steelhead in kodiak? What river? I fly there a couple times a year, and would love to know! Thanks a million.

ESLs are my favorite steelhead flies hands down. Maybe mix it up with some fun steelhead flies like coal cars, skunks and the like. Theres a small run in the buskin but most are remote
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Remote it is

I'm goin with a friend and as this is not my trip, I'm not at liberty to say where we're goin....in truth, I don't even know where it is....but will look it up for myself soon.

Coal Cars....Monkey, what do those entail.

And, what size ESL's, I like 2's in Bristol Bay....do steelhead have a size preference?

I've been fartin around with lots of articulated stuff as of late....can I expect the "bigger is better" method that I employ elsewhere, or do I want to keep my patterns sparse?

I'd go with sz 6-8 coal cars are lie skunks with purple something or other, google em!

Default Coal Cars

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd go with sz 6-8 coal cars are lie skunks with purple something or other, google em!
    I found out what a "coal car" is but what the heck is a "lie skunk"?
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Typo

Unless you were kidding and I missed it I believe AKpowdermonkey was saying a coal car was li(k)e skunk (patterns)

Sounds small (6-8) but I just learned how to even spell steelhead and so would hardly be a good judge of prospective patterns for them

I heard some talk of outlandish (10 mm beads) in odd colors (electric blue, neon green etc) bein useful as an attractor pattern....anybody want to shed some light on this alternate sort of method.....not that purple ESL's hatch that often either but ya know.

Googlin as we speak AKPM

Thanks.

The folks I'm goin with said they like Vibraxes for max hook ups but since I'm not a 10 year old with a zebco 33 I'm hoping to use other options, I'm not a fly snob in the slightest but find throwing spinners a bore. But you can bet your mama's sweet patootie that if I'm gettin my own patootie handed to me, there will be a couple number three firetigers in my back pocket

Default "like a skunk pattern"

Must be "like a skunk pattern or like a skunk fly". Makes sense now. I found the one fly but was having a problem with the "lie skunks" thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Nymph

I like to fish with nymphs for steelhead. Bead head Prince nymphs are my favorite, but there are a bunch more I like to use. I have best results using and indicator and getting the fly down to the fish for steelhead. I have a coast guard friend who was stationed in Kodiak and used to rave about the steelhead fishing there. Good luck.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Thanks for the nymph tip, Now I've got a new pattern to learn to tie....with the cold in Bristol Bay lately,,,,I should have plenty of time.

hukd on foniks wurkd for mi

Default Stealhead Rivers

On Kodiak island the Karluk and the Ayakulik Rivers both have runs of stealies for anglers willing to fly in. Not sure if there are any sizable runs along the road system? The Afognak River on on Afognak island has a run of fish.

from F&G

STEELHEAD/RAINBOW TROUT
    Fishing opportunities for steelhead (which are ocean-run rainbow trout) are generally limited along the Kodiak road zone, with relatively small runs found only in the Buskin and Saltery drainages. Returns of adult steelhead in each location typically occur between late September and mid-November. After overwintering in lakes or deep water river pools, mating pairs of fish typically spawn in April and May. Although a fish counting weir is operated the Buskin River during summer and into early autumn, minimal steelhead escapement information is available due to the timing of the return. Historic escapement information and qualitative observations indicate that the Buskin River steelhead return probably averages 300-500 fish per year. Steelhead/rainbow trout fishing within the Kodiak road zone is only a catch and release fishery with area bait restrictions. Be sure to double check current regulations.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...roadsystem.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    hukd on foniks wurkd for mi

I think I just peed myself.....awesome LOL

I know the specs on Kodiak steelhead...I'm just bein coy. What I'm lookin for is TACKLE and TECHNIQUES that steelheaders use to catch them, this is the lapse in knowledge.

I'm goin to the Ayakulik if it makes yall happy, now what are some ideas of what to use.....

AKPM, that was fantastic, I normally pride myself on correct spelling and grammar but I have seen a lapse in it the last several years with more email and less printed copy for work and general communication. It's amazing what one missing letter, a K in this case, can do to a message. Thanks for the laughs.

My steelhead technique needs more honing for sure (school and swimming always made it hard to get down to the anchor but from my limited experiance heres what I've gleaned: Start with steamers and cover the water look for medium speed pools, places where you'd expect big rainbows to be (cause thats what they are) fish the type of water you'd fish before the salmon show up. Look for fish in riffles and runs and sight fish. Start small like a size 10 nymph skunk or esl and then get progessively bigger and brighter untill the fish spooks or attacks. I'll usually nymph fish with a bright fly (sparkel shrimp etc.) and then a dark dropper (where legal) and that has worked pretty well for me. Of course the last steelhead I caught was trolling for silvers in a lake using an egg sucking leach. The bottom line is fish steelhead like you fish big rainbows in the spring. Hope that helps!

Coal Car

Default Muchos

That's the stuff I'm lookin for Monkey, thanks a bunch. I've just gotta get some more stuff in that smaller size range....I think most of mine end at a six, most at four and usually involve the better part of a rabbit.

Default Flys

For Steelhead the Green But Skunk, the Franks Fly and the Purple Egg Sucking Leach in size 2 to 4. Some black bunny leaches and some Glo Bugs are a good idea. Long patterns like the String Leach work well at times.

I like wooly worms too, black with grizzly hackle and a orange tail

There are no spring run steelhead on Kodiak. Everything you see will have come in last fall. Depending on how early you arrive, they'll either be spawning or in the post-spawn run back to the ocean. The runbacks are snakes and put up very little fight. The spawners are sitting ducks for anything that gets near their nests, but do you really want to hassle spawners on such small runs?

Default Go Easy

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There are no spring run steelhead on Kodiak. Everything you see will have come in last fall. Depending on how early you arrive, they'll either be spawning or in the post-spawn run back to the ocean. The runbacks are snakes and put up very little fight. The spawners are sitting ducks for anything that gets near their nests, but do you really want to hassle spawners on such small runs?
    BRN BR
    I concur most of Kodiaks major salmon streams have small runs of steelies. Check the escapment counts of the streams with wiers and you will see most of the counts are for out migration. Most enter the rivers in late fall to early winter. GO easy on em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast