Thread: Pre-Sheep Hunt Gun SNAFU

Default Pre-Sheep Hunt Gun SNAFU

Well, I made it to Fairbanks yesterday for my Brooks Range sheep hunt with LuJon. Took the rifle to the range today to make sure the airlines hadn't jacked it up too bad. I obviously didn't pack sandbags in my checked luggage, so a laptop case had to suffice as a rest...surprisingly steady actually. Well the first shot was off the paper...interesting. The second shot was off the paper ON THE OTHER SIDE. WHOA! I know I'm not THAT bad at shooting, so I checked the first thing that came to mind, the scope rings. That's when I noticed that one of my Talley Lightweights had snapped! CRAP! So I checked Sportsmans Warehouse and Frontier for rings/bases to no avail. I started to get a bit worried at this point and honestly contemplated buying a new gun. But a phone call to a hole in the wall gunshop in town worked out. I ended up with silver bases on a black gun, which isn't optimal but is completely functional so I won't complain. Took it back to the range real quick and got it re-sighted and good to go. Still have 14 rds of handloads for the hunt. I guess that's why we shoot BEFORE we head to the field!!!!

good luck on youur sheep hunt

Dang. Luck or wisdom? Similar thing happened to me last weekend, with no air cargo involved. Check your guns, everybody! Check them early, check them often.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Lots better today than a couple days from now! Glad you got it sorted out but I would have let you use mine.... After I got my ram of course!

Just another prime example of proper preperation does for you. Short cuts will kill you. Glad you are one of those that don't take chances. A new gun would have been nice!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lots better today than a couple days from now! Glad you got it sorted out but I would have let you use mine.... After I got my ram of course!
    That would have been a Guarantee for your shot at the Biggest Ram in the Band.
    Good luck guy's have a safe trip. Kill some sheep!!

A new gun would have been nice but I would have felt a bit funny leaving a $1400 Weatherby Ultra Lightweight behind in favor of a $400 Sportsman's special. Plus a new gun definitely isn't in the budget right now. In fact, this sheep hunt isn't really in the budget either but some things are more important than money or saving for retirement or supporting your family. Sheep hunting is one of those things!