Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big su McLearen loop, some clairity please.

Default Big su McLearen loop, some clairity please.

OK what I want to do is put in at the big Su and motor up the Mclearen to the hwy. I could care less about the rute into lake louise for now, guess I should have made that clearer. I understand there is some interesting water near the hwy on the Maclaren yet in the other thread Sid wrote "it is a pice of cake going up from the Big Sue still need a good lift for your canoe, will help a great deal on the Mclearen" so is the trip doable or would I be better off finding another route?

On a totally unrelated topic.......the old thread seemed to indicate the big Su to lake lousie is doable with a few drags on the Tyone.......am I corerect ion that? Could one motor down as far as the Big Oshetna before the river turns to deep do do? Could one motor back up the big Su? BTW you can bet your butt I'll be doing the map and scouting work on this as well as asking about the trips here.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick, you would probably be better off running down the Maclaren and up the Big Su instead of the other way but you should contact Alan at Maclaren Lodge. He runs the Mac in his airboat and knows the river as good as anybody.
    822-5444
    www.maclarenlodge.com
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thank you Erik!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

you never said what type of rig you will be useing,
    as water walls up on the rocks I would like to go up the Mcleaern.
    with AIRboats you are up high an can see the rocks an bounce over, canoes even standing up it is limited an if a rock is there it stops
    if you plan to go up the big SU there is a very long streach of river below the bridge that is very braded an thin, an some pulling even with a 19 FT an lift with 15 HP, lots of sand / mud, water is very dirty water, can't see the bottom, water is very sility & eats water pumps,
    going down river to the big O lookout I went down about a mile below the tyone with a canoe an quit the walls were getting high an narrow, there was a group of hunters that went down every year with outboard jet units, small boat large motor, an stearable unit was a stick in the center of the boat withgas a peddle on the floor [very fast stearing & eng responce ] goodluck,

PS tyone to BIG O map will not help you need to walk it or get a ride down from some one that goes there,
    there is no help down there SID

one of the new surface drives motors, would be the best onn the BIG SU below the bridge I think, never have used one, but looks good, no water punp
    SID

Default You Guys

You guys, I didn't have anything better to do today than ease-drop on other peoples internet posts 3000 miles away. Work here's a might slow. Cools things off for me when I can look at an Alaskan canoe forum.

I've been keeping up with the conversation of this one or that one wanting to hunt the Tyone River country and taking the Sustina route or the McLearen route or coming up through Sustina Lake from the south and so forth.

I looked at the Tyone right where it flows into the Sunstina on Google Earth and it looks to be a decent sized small river (not a creek), at about 130' wide if you can trust Google Earth. Is this right? How deep is it right in there? Looks to me like someone with a light shallow draft rig (with an extra prop Sid), could pick and finesse his way right up through there. Sid? Anybody?

Zack in hot Missouri

Zack,
    The Tyone is a smallish river volume-wise of generally steady, median flows thanks to being lake fed. Because it fans out at the mouth the water gets spread thin, and aside from the main channel it's very shallow.

If your next question is about running the Susitna back to the road system? You can't. Well, you could try but you'd probably get killed in the process. Devil's Canyon (it's called that for a reason) is 20 miles of continuous Class IV, V & VI rapids, and that's after Watana canyon which is 16-17 miles of nearly continuous Class IV rapids. Thus all the talk about going upstream.

With regard to Sid's suggestion of running down the Su and back up the Mac versus mine of going the other way. I have not run the Mac so I will happily defer to anyone who has and says the canyon section is a doable upstream run in a canoe.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Ah, I see, the Tyone fans or 'deltas' out before it runs into the Sustina. Very good. High muskeg or tundra area with little fall or gradient. Not something one would plan with a boat load of moose meat and camping gear.

I've seen U-Tubes of the Devils Canyon. Yes it would be suicidal and not the happy ending to a fall hunting trip. Reminds me of Niagra or the Grand Canyon. Thank you for your reply, Zack

You cant trust that conditions on site will be at all the same as they were when the google earth pic was taken either. I have "looked" at stuff that was stunningly easy looking only to find it a rcok garden when I was actually standiong on the bank.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Ah, I see, the Tyone fans or 'deltas' out before it runs into the Sustina. Very good. High muskeg or tundra area with little fall or gradient. Not something one would plan with a boat load of moose meat and camping gear.

I've seen U-Tubes of the Devils Canyon. Yes it would be suicidal and not the happy ending to a fall hunting trip. Reminds me of Niagra or the Grand Canyon. Thank you for your reply, Zack
    What you see entering Susitna Lake is Tyone Lake, not Tyone River. When it becomes a river, it gets much narrower. It is also very slow with a lot of boulders at the top. This is where most people have problems because you can't see the rocks. They can be half an inch under water and you won't know they are there until you hit them. With that area and Devil's Canyon, you can't afford to have something break down. The only way out is up stream through challenging water.

But, But, Linshan! Would McGowan take the McLearen loop or go into the fertile Tyone country through Sustina Lake? That's what we want to know.

you can go down the tyone to the big SU & then up the SU to the road it can be accomilished with an 19 an a 15 with a lift also up the mcclearn, the maclearn is a little trickey but not bad an the Big SU the section that that is faned out, & is thin but you can pull it in that section , should go with 2 canoes & motors if no lift stay home

Oh Sid, I'm sorry, I was being trite. Just taking a jab at the chinese (or where ever Mr. Linshan is from) spammers. Forgive me. I truly am interested on how you guys set up your fall hunting. Kinda like reading an on-line Outdorr Life ya know. Will probablly never get to Alasaka unless it's on a tour ship but like to read how the ones that are up there do it. Zack

Who the heck is McGowan and who would care? With all that surgery he probably couldn't paddle a canoe anyhow let alone drag one through any shallows.
    Does anyone know what is the point of the spammers? Does doing this benifit them in some way or are they just being stupid. I'm not a real computer guy so could someone learn me up on why someone would post something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Who the heck is McGowan and who would care? With all that surgery he probably couldn't paddle a canoe anyhow let alone drag one through any shallows.
    Does anyone know what is the point of the spammers? Does doing this benifit them in some way or are they just being stupid. I'm not a real computer guy so could someone learn me up on why someone would post something like that?
    Simple. If you look at what they post, there are hidden links in the text (scroll over the text and you will see them pop up). Enough people accidentally click on those and with each click, the spammer gets paid.

one of the the mud buddy types eng, mignt work don't know how they will work on the 19 FT they do work on the larger canoes but I would not like to pull one of the large ones very far, also don't know how the larger canoes do on rocks, on my 19 I put runners on the bottom, they are great, do they help ? makes me feel better, SID

anchskier
    Thanks. I new there must be a reason for all that crud appearing all over the place. I will be very careful to not help them.

no matter how many times you go, you will hit the rocks, you might be lucky to see some of my Alummen that I an A few others left years back, good luck, if you are luckey, you won't have to worry there will be plenty of water in river, of all the times I traveled it there was only one year I was able to run wide open all the way to camp, an did not have to pull it, even one time SID.

Default watcch out for the green rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    no matter how many times you go, you will hit the rocks, you might be lucky to see some of my Alummen that I an A few others left years back
    I and a buddy painted a few of those rocks green to warn others (yes, by us running over them with our green canoes). No matter how many rocks we paint, there are still more to hit.

the paint / fiberglass comes off in a short time, the metal also comes off in a short time, [last a little longer] but the rocks stay put, they don't move no matter what, SNOW , RAIN , ICE , SUN , WATER, OR BOATS / CANOES, THAT DRIVEN BY CRAZY FOOLS LIKE ME A FEW OTHER NUTS,

SID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast