Thread: Silvers in Seward

Default Silvers in Seward

Can anyone give a report on the Silver fishing in the bay from last weekend.
    I am trying to decide if we should go this week or next.

RD

Fished yesterday in the Bay and got a limit for three of us. Picked up fish at the Old Army Docks, Hat Island and a few other spots on the North end of Fox Island. Picked up fish between 20-60 ft. The majority came from 50 ft. Most other boats did not do as well as we did.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Spoke with a few folks on boats who definitely said the fishing was not as good this weekend as the past. I have to stay close to Miller's landing due to my kayak but I saw a whole lot less jumpers in close and a lot less catching as well. Fished from miller's landing to Caines Head.

One of the interesting things I did notice that on July 30 all the silvers looked fairly soft and all of their scales came flying off as soon as they were out of the water. Very typical of early in the ocean silvers. Of course there were a zillion of them as well then.

All three silvers I caught this weekend close to Seward had their scales set (scales didn't fly off the fish) and looked much more like a bright in-river fish and their roe and milt were much further developed. Amazing how different the fish are even in phycal attributes one week to the next. I wonder where all the "feeder" coho went?!?!

Thanks for the information.
    I think we will head down tomorrow, hopefully enjoy some nice weather and catch a few fish.

RD

This from a regular deckhad doing 2 X 1/2 days trips daily. Silver fishing is slow! FishGod the limit is 6 per person in the bay

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    This from a regular deckhad doing 2 X 1/2 days trips daily. Silver fishing is slow! FishGod the limit is 6 per person in the bay
    No sh*t, this is what I wrote,

Fished yesterday in the Bay and got a limit for three of us

A limit for three of us was 18, what's your point deckhad?

More often than not, in stormy weather silvers will run deeper and tend to be less likely to recklessly bite at things. I won't say they get lockjaw, but they are harder to catch. I hope this weekend things settle down so I can win the derby with all the biggest fish on my boat, catch all the tagged fish, and win all the drawings.....I don't have my sight set high or anything....LOL....

This bay is full of silvers right now. From Chevall to Lowell Point. If you are not catching them, try a different technique or location..... Best Silver fishing in the North Gulf Coast in years.

Most of our hits came at 55-65ft. Caught the biggest coho of the day at 72ft. The silvers were bigger at the deeper depths.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The fishing on Saturday was fantastic! We limited the boat (3 guys) in an hour and a half including 2 kings. We fished the south end of Fox and most of our fish were caught between 10 and 30 feet. We had 3 fish hit while trying to put the line into the release. It's pretty cool feeling a silver rip the line out of your hand! The kings were caught between 40 and 60 feet. Only one pink hooked during the melee, and the silvers were fat!!!! Should be an awesome derby with lots of big fish. Game on!!!!

We spent most of our time on the North end of Fox. It was good, but my sixth sense told me the south end was probably better.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    We spent most of our time on the North end of Fox. It was good, but my sixth sense told me the south end was probably better.
    Right on. There was a huge school of large herring hanging around the southend that morning. Don't know how far across it was, but the sonar was solid red with fish between 40 and 180 feet. The salmon were on the outside edge of the herring gorging themselves. It was crazy!!!!!

No kings for us, but we did keep two dime bright chums.

No kings for us, but we did keep two dime bright chums.
    That doesn't seem like a fair trade!

Chrome chums are good. Don't knock it till ya try it!

Most of our hits came at 55-65ft. Caught the biggest coho of the day at 72ft.
    That is one big coho.....Really, a 72 footer. I mean I have heard some fish stories, but that one is WAY over the top....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Game on!!!!
    I guess you missed it; I am catching all the big ones, all the tagged fish, and winning all the drawings. I wouldn't even bother going if were in your shoes......LOL.....