Thread: Mat-Su population?

Default Mat-Su population?

Hello everyone. Iím new to the forum, but have read just about every post on AOF. I am Interested in buying land near the Mat-Su and have been doing my research. The area seems to have all the needed things to make bush life possible. One thing that has become a concern for me after several months of internet research is the amount of subdivisions there seems to be. Most of the land I have found for sale in Alaska is in this area and almost all of it is part of a subdivision. Most people like myself think of retreating to the Alaskan bush to get away from civalization not to live in a subdivision.
    How many people are there in this area? Can a guy buy a piece of property where he can get away or are there cabins around every turn? What about hunting, fishing, trapping pressure?
    Iím sure no matter where I go I would have a few Neighbors but im not interested in living in the middle of a 100lot subdivision. Am I looking in the wrong part of the state? Any thoughts would be great.
    By the way this site is a great wealth of knowledge Thanks for all the input everyone.

Mat-Su valley is by no means REMOTE.
    Check out google earth.
    If you want remote, hop a flight, run a boat, or walk a ways. Anything on the road system is just that, expect modern conveniences and other people.
    BK

Stoneman
    I probably should also mention, your going to need a substantial amount of Money to get established...

Stoneman
    currently the Mat-Su valley is the fastest growing (population wise) area in the State.
    There is lots of land available for a secluded life style, but you gotta get away from the Road system..
    instead of searching for "land for sale" you might want to use the word Remote, or even Remote Recreational land...
    The State DNR office sells remote parcels Over the Counter (OTC) but understand, you need a plane or a boat (or both) to get there and of course you'll need a good snowmachine in the winter for access and freighting in your supplies...

Understand, that the "Mat-Su" encompasses a very large land mass. I am certain that the borough is larger than many states.

I'm pretty sure I was told the mat su school district is 25000 sq. miles and comparable in size to west virginia.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Iíve been planning my move to a remote area for some four or five years. Because I had two small kids at the time I have had to wait to move forward with my plans. Due to new circumstances in my life the time has arrived. The last several years of dreaming has given me a good start. I know what im getting into for the most part, Iíve saved enough money, and lived off the grid for a while now.
    What im interested in is a an area that is best suited for bush life. I have carefully researched every OTC property that was or still is for sale in the last year . Thatís what im concerned with. All the remote property that seems to be fit for living seems to be for sale in central Alaska near or just south of Talkneetna and west to the Alaska Range and somewhat close together. When I say fit for living I just mean that it can provide much of the things needed for survival. Timber for building/ firewood, hunting, fishing, the weather, a water source. These thing matter to me, roads do not.
    Some of the areas that the state OTC still has for sale are 5 or 10 miles off the road but when checking the plat or Alaska mapper you find that the properties are usually bordered on 2 sides with private land or land for sale in one manner or an other. Also if it has water such as a small lake it seems to be surrounded with surveyed parcels. How remote is this really? I understand I probably wont have a lake to myself but boy id hate to wake up five years from now and see half a dozen hunting lodges across the lake from me. How far off the road system do I need to get to get away from the main population?
    The properties that I have seen for sale (OTC ) in the northern part of the state most appear to be on the road system in subdivisions and of course the weather is worse so I tend to shy away from them. I donít want to spend anymore money then is necessary looking for some land to buy, so its very important that I start looking in the proper areas first. Iíve made plans to fly up to a relatives house in a few weeks to look at some of the property in the OTC land sales and a few lots offered by statewide reality but I donít want to waste everyoneís time and my money flying out to places that are infested with people just like me. Any more thoughts?
    Thanks, Brian

I think you need to look around at more than just the OTC land sales from the state. I have also been researching for a future move and i found a much better variety and pricing from realestate brokers. it seems that even though there is a recession right now, the state otc sales still wants top dollar, not to mention to buy from otc, you have to have lived in alaska for a whole year. I have found very similar properties in various areas and it seems the OTC stuff seems about 20% higher than from private sales lately.

When the state releases land they release it in big blocks open to staking or through the sales of state subdivided land. When it's large areas open to staking the waterfront and suitable building areas get eaten up quickly. When they have OTC offerings it's to fill in gaps of already released lands or to get rid of land that people have failed to pay for. Either way your odds of having a neighbor eventually is pretty high. If you get a parcel that is away from anyone and it's surrounded by state land there is nothing to stop the state from having future land offerings. Nothing is 100%, but the best land is to find a large homestead that is for sale so the acreage is big enough to not see the neighbors or an inholding surrounded by Federal land, neither of which is going to be cheap.

I would say that any land in the Matsu will eventually have neighbors or at least snowmachine traffic in the winter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Not to jump to conclusions, but your username "stoneman" sounds like it might be a reference to something like "stone(age)man"....if so, do some research on this forum for old threads. Specifically, a fellow named andrew and his plans to live remote in alaska with a canoe. There are alot of threads that deal with this topic, and alot of great input from smart experienced alaskans. Take the advice that is given...

BTW, I agree with everything said above. The bulk of the Matsu is nowhere near "remote" and is now the second largest "community" in the state....

Good Luck

Sounds as if my hunch is correct. Maybe im not looking remote enough. Thanks for all the advice . If anyone has an Idea where I should look to get more remote then what the OTC has to offer let me know id like to check it out.
    Someone had said something about researching the old threads and I have. I have learned more about Alaska on Alaska outdoor forums in a few weeks then years of other types of research, thanks guys keep it coming. I did read the threads about Andrew. I am in no way similar to him or his situation.
    The screen name stoneman191 is because of my job. I am a Stone Mason by trade and my Company name is ďAnything StoneĒ so lots of people call me stoneman or the stoneman . Nothing to do with cavemen, although I do bang on rocks.
    So if The Mat-Su is no longer as remote, Is there an area that might offer more solitude. This area would still have to have some timber and hunting and fishing and such. I donít see myself living on the tundra. Cost and access are not as big of a concern as location. Point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneman191 View Post
    Someone had said something about researching the old threads and I have.
    This thread is also worth reading and addresses some of your questions:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ve-in-the-bush

Curious about how your plans will impact your children. I know of several families that raised their kids in remote areas for a while, but then either moved to town or left Alaska once the kids were ready for middle school, primarily for social and educational reasons.

Almost anything from the state or university OTC is going to be in a subdivision - that's how they do it. Try these two websites for more variety in offerings:

http://www.landinalaska.com/

and

http://www.remoteproperties.com/

Also, everybody wants waterfront. If you want a better chance at no neighbors, get something that is not on a lake or river. Make sure you know what the legal access is to the property.

sorry for jumping to conclusions. Good luck where ever you end up going....

The old days where you could homestead for 40 or 160 are long gone. The old days where you'd just head out and build a cabin, then get the state to give you the land are also long gone.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the help everyone, guess im going to learn more next week when I get up there. My cousin knows a real estate agent out of Fairbanks so im going to see if he has anything for me to look at.
    I also found a few places northwest of Skwenta (donít know about the spelling off hand) near Johnson creek. This area seems to be somewhat more remote then most . If anyone knows about this area chime in ill take all the info I can get.

When I was working as a land surveyor I did several jobs up near and along Johnson Creek. It's a good area with lots of timber and decent high land. The reason I did several jobs out there is that it was open to staking under the Alaska remote parcel program. Pretty much every single lake on both sides of Johnson creek are completely surrounded with parcels. They restricted land staking along the creek, so there are relatively few parcels out there that are not on the lakes. I also know you are looking for a certain type of parcel so this area may not be for you. There is a big gold exploration project going out in that area and they built an ice road out there last year. I know several people that own land out near Red Creek and Johnson Creek hustle materials out there last winter since the going was easy. The area will continue to grow, but it's **** far from town and the likelihood of having full time neighbors around you is small. You are going to have a lot of cabin neighbors though if you end up on one of the lakes.

Tom had been in Police work for 25 years.
    Finally sick of the stress, he quits his job and buys 50 acres of land in Alaska as far from humanity as possible.

He sees the postman once a week and gets groceries once a month.

Otherwise it's total peace and quiet.

After six months or so of almost total isolation, someone knocks on his
    door. He opens it and a huge, bearded man is standing there.

'Name's Jim, your neighbor from forty miles up the road. Having a Christmas
    party Friday night. Thought you might like to come at about 5:00...'

'Great', says Tom, 'after six months out here I'm ready to meet some local folks Thank you.'
    As Jim is leaving, he stops. 'Gotta warn you. Be some drinking'.

'Not a problem' says Tom. 'After 25 years in the business, I can drink with the best of 'em'.
    Again, the big man starts to leave and stops.

'More 'n' likely gonna be some fighting' too.'
    'Well, I get along with people, I'll be all right! ...
    I'll be there. Thanks again.'

'More'n likely be some wild sex, too.'
    'Now that's really not a problem' says Tom, warming to the idea.

'I've been all alone for six months! I'll definitely be there.

By the way, what should I wear?'

'Don't much matter. Just gonna be the two of us.