Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eureka Caribou this weekend

Default Eureka Caribou this weekend

Me and a buddy did a 40 mile trip from the gravel parking lot in Eureka. Friday was a total downpoor, lots of rain, so glassing was a bust, we camped around the red fox area, and on Saturday we began seeing tons of caribou everywhere. At first it was small groups of 2-4 then larger groups. As we headed back to the little O, way more caribou back there. Made it to the Big O, and all along the way saw caribou. Also 4 moose, no bear. The trail is in great condition, never got stuck once. If anyone want's to fill their Tier 1 tag, that might be a good place to do it. Sorry no pictures, my darn I phone won't zoom anyhow.

Really? Didn't get stuck. I remember a certain Ranger towing you out of a stuck. But, that was probably because you forgot your AC had 1st gear.

Oh you mean the shortcut you had us take across the swamp.. where you said, "you go first if you make it I probably can"... yup forgot about that. tried to put your "shortcut" out of my mind....

ok everyone, new plan, forget the bus up the denali, lets all bus it over to eureka and do a mad dash and kill some bou'!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think it would be best to let everyone spread out and hunt on their timeframe and place. So whats with the caribou hotlines? I mean last season F and G would tell eveyone where they were crossing the road prompting a crowd and slaughter. So I hope that the eureka trail isnt a zoo or you wont have such a nice weekend next time..
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

By "dash" do you mean actual running will take place? I am way too old and fat to run on the tundra no matter how good it would be for me.

I knew there would be a day I would regret letting my dad take the old ATV with him when he was retiring to Idaho.

I think I will be hitting the higheay anyway just to check things out.

if theres not enough caribou there will be some folks dashin'....i have a 7 year old with an AR-15....please don't pass us...
    Master guide 212

I dont think it's just Eureka. I just reserved a room at a certain lodge on the Denali highway for this weekend. The lodge owner said he's seen a ton of caribou moving right now. He said he's seeing them thick and consistent, even though its early. Speculation here; I think the herd is moving a little early because they're the largest they've been in over a decade. Should be good in lots of places, not just Eureka. Should be a good year in general. My dad and a surveyor who contracts for me have both taken separate work trips through unit 13 and they each saw more moose than usual, just from the highway (quoting "man I saw X many moose between here and here, I've never seen that many in one road trip"). Exciting stuff, for sure.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

People in Eureka and on the Denali. From what it sounds like I may get caught in the cross fire. May have to take my AR just to make it out alive.

How were the water crossings? I'm actually considering holding off my hunt until the deluge parts and rivers drop.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    People in Eureka and on the Denali. From what it sounds like I may get caught in the cross fire. May have to take my AR just to make it out alive.
    I plan on wearing orange. Feel like I'm back in Delaware, white tail hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    How were the water crossings? I'm actually considering holding off my hunt until the deluge parts and rivers drop.
    IMO, the Little O was the worse and by worse I mean the current pushed the worse, but was not bad at all. Little Nel was cake, actually the lowest I've ever crossed it. Big O was a joke. True it has been raining, but I use the Little Nel as a barometer and I've crossed it at 7 ft (flood stage) and the most recent reading is 6.3. Here is the link. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...fc3&gage=nela2

Basically, if its under 7 ft its fine. I've not seen what over 7 ft looks like so....keep in mind this is being read where the river crosses the highway, but still if its 7 ft at the hwy and I crossed no problem then for me anything 7 ft or less is doable.

lets have fun guys, i'm headed out thursday, white F250 BRWNBR are my plates, stop and say hi!! eureka area...
    Master guide 212

We've got a few DC480 tags so we'll be in the Eureka area as well, but not until a week later. Rain or shine I just can't wait to get out into the hills. We are looking to get my wife her first animal ever! The ol lady and I will be on a green kawi side x side and my uncle is on a black grizzly. Should have some cold beer and we are pretty friendly usually.

For anyone on the Denail, I'll be in a white Ram standard cab with a white shell. If you happen to catch me at the pickup please say hi! Good luck and be safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I plan on wearing orange. Feel like I'm back in Delaware, white tail hunting.
    Jeez, that's not a bad idea. I'll be up there (Eureka) shooting it out with you guys too.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I think it would be best to let everyone spread out and hunt on their timeframe and place. So whats with the caribou hotlines? I mean last season F and G would tell eveyone where they were crossing the road prompting a crowd and slaughter. So I hope that the eureka trail isnt a zoo or you wont have such a nice weekend next time..
    That was a hell of a show! Comical at times, watching the hunters on one side of the road, and the caribou on the other. Hope everyone has a safe trip, and best of luck!

I got DC481, how is it crossing the Black River, and about how far back in is it? I have a tracked Argo so i think i'll be doing ok, does anybody know what the trail is like on the other side of the black? Any info sure would be helpful!!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebackwards View Post
    I got DC481, how is it crossing the Black River, and about how far back in is it? I have a tracked Argo so i think i'll be doing ok, does anybody know what the trail is like on the other side of the black? Any info sure would be helpful!!
    Probably 50-60 miles. 4 major river crossings. Little Nel, Little O, and Big O, and Black. Each progressively deeper and swifter. If you're using an argo, I would take the tracks off. My understanding is that you have no propulsion through water with tracks. The Black River crossing is usually about 3 ft deep, with basketball size boulders and moving pretty fast. Your argo will float, no doubt. Also, the Black River crossing is a point to point crossing. No room for going up river and floating down to the take out. If you get swept past the take out your SOL and up against a 3-4 ft bank or you're floating towards the Big Su. Most who cross the Black are big rigs. Here is a pic of the crossing I stalked off the internet. Trust me this is the crossing.

IMG_0170.jpg

Oh yeah, btw, those are 44" tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast