Thread: Seward Aug 7 report

Default Seward Aug 7 report

Started fishing about 8am. Launched the yak from South Beach. Had a silver in the first 15 minutes. Then I manage a pink on my ultra light and I am thinking this is great!

Because I was partly test fishing for a possible entry into next weeks derby, I did leave fish to go find fish. I caught one other silver all the way out to Derby Cove and back. I was use either a plug cut and whole herring.

I decide to try to go catch something in the deep water and the first fish up is a halibut! Of course I forgot my net...ARGH. Lost the fish at the boat! 15 pounds maybe. No big deal. Once again I am thinking this is great! But after about a dozen BIG pacific cod from 250 to 300 feet down, i give up.

One last pass with the trolling gear and I hook a silver!

The silvers I caught today all had scales set. Meaning they didn't shed them when they hit the boat. Odd....

I managed 12 hours in my yak with one 15 minute shore break. Time flies when you are having fun! Lost 5 pounds of water weight sweating!

The highlight of the trip was watching a sea otter eat a big octopus right next to me.

First video is a pic of my silver, pink on an ultraliight and a lost halibut at the yak.

otter2.JPG

dude awesome! Nice videos. that would be so sweet to see that sea otter eat the octo. Can't wait to get home and get on the water! I know the feeling losing a halibut at the surface. I forgot the gaff that I use to land halibut from a kayak this last trip and lost a 30 pounder at the surface!!!! oh well, live and learn. Can't wait!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Gotta love your video's kard.The otter and octopus is really cool.
    I have to ask....whatever possessed you to take an ultra-lite pole out in the salt ?
    Oh yeah....did you edit the end of the 1st clip when that butt came un-buttoned ? I'm guessing you did..
    Keep em coming dude.and good luck in the Derby.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Gotta love your video's kard.The otter and octopus is really cool.
    I have to ask....whatever possessed you to take an ultra-lite pole out in the salt ?
    Oh yeah....did you edit the end of the 1st clip when that butt came un-buttoned ? I'm guessing you did..
    Keep em coming dude.and good luck in the Derby.........
    Lol. As for my ultralight, thanks to dipnetting reds filling the freezer, it's my go to rod for everything but Kings and reds. Its the same rod my kids used to land a silver and a chum last weekend. My best is like a 15 pound king from the Kasilof.

I was hoping if I ran into a good school, instead of just hammering one after another, I'd make a few count. I figured by my 6 fish limit, I'd be tired and wrist sore from using the ultralight. Too bad the fish never materialized like two weeks ago. I had my 4wt flyrod with me with a few epoxy minnow flies too. I was going to troll than cast. Just something to do to change things up a bit. I hate breaking line so I typically use heavier leader material so I can just grab the fish... especially with fluorocarbon lines.

Amazingly no editing on the lost halibut clip. I am frankly surprised at my PG 13 expletive rather than the R or XXX version. The fish was off and I didn't freak. Part of it might have been it was a small one and it was like 30 seconds after I dropped the line down for the first time. I was thinking "this is EASY!" Then about a dozen P-cod over 10 pounds later from 300 ft made me quit trying for the halibut. That was a work out when it happens one after the other. I think its time to break out the crab jig and see if that discourages the cod even a little bit. Unlike a power boat, I just can't pick up and move as easily.

Trying to get verification now from the derby folks if I can fish alone. If so, going to try it for sure. It only takes that ONE fish...well heck, let's get greedy...2 fish....the winner and the tagged $50K fish!

awesome videos! What kind of yak do you use? I have been thinking about getting into yak fishing.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    awesome videos! What kind of yak do you use? I have been thinking about getting into yak fishing.
    I started the year with a 9ft malibu mini-x. I upgraded to a 12ft Hobie Outback with the Mirage pedal drives. Mini-x didn't have enough range to fish safely except within a mile of launch. Even as an overweight, office type, video game loving, couch potato guy like me can go for miles! Last two times out of Seward, peddling to Caines head and back was no problem at all. I have a sail for the yak so one weekend I am just going to peddle as long as I can south, hope the afternoon south breeze blows, and sail back...lol.

Give it a try! I moved to Kenai in 1971 and now live in Anchorage. I only really started kayak fishing this year. It is CRAZY fun. My only warning is don't do it unless you can commit to it. IT IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!

You can sort of see the evolution of the addiction this year if you visit my blogs at guidesak.blogspot.com I have a simple review about the Hobie Outback as well.

Despite the name, it is 100% non-commercial with no ads. I should change it, everyone thinks I guide. I inherited the name from some folks I was helping 20 years ago and just kept the addresses.

Kardinal
    What an awesome set of videos. I'll have to check out your website sometime. Thanks for sharing this...I particularly enjoyed the clip of the otter, what a treat!
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan