Thread: Wolf Hunt

Default Wolf Hunt

Got a couple of hunting partners from ND that want to come up and help thin out wolves, thinking unit 13.
    Both are long time trappers and have caught n shot hundreds of Coyotes back home.
    Would they be better off renting 4 wheelers or fly in n drop off? Any help would be welcomed.

This is no easy task...unless in Denali park.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Try behind Eureka lodge around aug.10

i've seen 2 wolves in unit 13 in the last 8 years, i spend about 100 days or more a year out there. try the wood river area of alaska before you go to unit 13..anywhere that they are buzzin' them with planes all winter will probably be better.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Tks for the update. Hunt is next fall so just starting the search. Good luck this fall BRWNBR, I enjoy your posts. Me well I got a fall griz tag for Chugach. Kinda like hunting in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i've seen 2 wolves in unit 13 in the last 8 years, i spend about 100 days or more a year out there. try the wood river area of alaska before you go to unit 13..anywhere that they are buzzin' them with planes all winter will probably be better.
    Come on BRWNBR!!! 800 Days and only 2 Wolves? I've seen close to 30 in the same time frame as you in Unit 13 (maybe half the days though) while "Ground Pounding".. Stumbled onto a couple packs and even had a Pack of seven walk right into our Camp one afternoon. It was such a cool thing, my Dad and I let them all walk. I don't regret it at all. You would have to have been there to understand.

yepper, seen one last week over by your friends place there...a little gimp. and seen one up in the headwaters last fall...other than that...its been about 8 years since i seen some. i saw 2 together about 8 years ago, haven't seen a pack EVER in unit 13. snowmachined 2700 miles in unit 13 this winter and saw TRACKS once..from two wolves. maybe i just haven't been at the right place or the right time.

reread my old post...anywhere that they AREN't buzzin' them with planes is what i meant.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talked to a trapper back in December of '09 that runs a line off the Denali Highway. He hadn't caught a wolf in 6 years and hadn't even seen tracks in 5. He didn't mind that the predator control seemed to be working. It must be working. I saw way more moose this year on my 4th of July trip than I've seen in years up by the Susitna Bridge. Lots of caribou too. Unit 13 is a big place, though, and I'm sure there are pockets with wolves left.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would also reccomend unit 20A or up north of the brooks. Wolves in Unit 13 are a rare thing. Especially right now, do to good snow conditions the wolves got HAMMERED by the ariel guys this spring. There was a decent # of wolves prior to this winter due to 3 years of to low wolf #;s for the ariel guys and bad snow conditions. So last fall there was quite a lot of wolves. Not this year though. About anywhere would be better than unit 13 for wolves this season in my opinion.

Maybe try SouthEast AK. You could get one of the rare subspecies of Gray Wolf (The Alexander Archepeligo Wolf) before greenpiece gets their way and makes them endangered. Sorry, just had to.