Thread: Hiking boots for upland bird hunting

Default Hiking boots for upland bird hunting

What, in your opinion, are the best boots for upland bird hunting. These boots need to be warm, waterproof, and light enough to hike comfortably all day long. Nothing too heavy as I will not be packing much weight around on a regular basis. I'm thinking Danner 453 GTX or the Lowa Tyro GTX. I tried the search function and didn't really find what I was looking for, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

My kenetreks mountain extremes do fine for ptarmigan but so do my hitec goretex hiking boots. For bunnies and grouse I am leaning toward xtratuffs or alpha burlies. There is always little mountain bogs and I tend to find them when I crawl over a fallen tree and jump to the ground..... Generally sinking to my calf!

I have worn the Danner 453 GTX for the past couple of years -- great all-around boot but I wish it would breath a little. I guess being waterproof has its draw-backs. It has the great quality you'd expect from Danner, but it's a warmer boot and I'd suggest ordering a half-size bigger.

Regards.

I wear a pair of Lowas, as does my girlfriend, and we love them. I'm not sure what model they are, (Omegas I think; we have identical shoes.)but they're goretex lined, waterproof, and have suede on the outside. This week will be my first time wearing them for hunting, but I've hiked plenty in them carrying about 40 lbs. They're very comfortable, but I wish they had a higher shank.

I have danner pronghorns that I love.

Thanks for the great thoughts guys. I ended up going with the leather 453 GTX because they felt right. I tried on some 452's also but they were synthetic and had a higher ankle that I wasn't interested in. Also, the Danners are made in the US. I passed on some Lowas and Meindls becasue they were foreign made. kyle, I couldn't find them in a half size up, but they felt good with the thick socks I brought.
    Do you guys put silicone on your leather hiking boots?

I use Nixwax Aqueous wax on my Kenetreks w/ their breathable waterproof layer. I am shocked every time I give them a fresh coat as they come out looking like new.

I think if you look inside the tounge of the boot you will see " Made In China"

I guess just some models are made in the good ol' U S of A. what a crock of s**t. thanks for the heads up whlsup.

google 'what hiking boots are made in the USA', danner comes up four times in the top ten. what is the world coming to?

我们是博格,你会被同化。抵抗是徒劳。

Sad but true.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

translation; We are the Borg, you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

LOL! nice bilder. btw thanks lujon for the wax tip, stuff works great on commie boots.

For later in the year when it is cold (down to -20 and moving) I like Schnees rubber bottom felted leather top packs. They work well w/snowshoes too. We have had some really icy winters the last couple near Palmer so I have corked Schnees also. I think one could order the corked Schnees from "Boot Country" in Anchorage. The regular Schnee Pac may be purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse". Another good rubber bottom leather topped boot with the felted insert is a corked boot out of Idaho, called a "Hoffman". I think they are made in Kellog, Idaho. Corks make a BIG difference being literally (in this case) golf-shoe spikes. The smaller corks are special order and mostly on leather boots. Foresters wear those in the Olympics and other soggy places.

When I was younger in the mid-west, I used to really like the high-top uninsulated Bean boot. The Maine Guide Boot? The original.

Danner "Rain Country" were good boots too. They were tough, heavy and water proof (gore-tex), they were also too wide for me. They'd probably work fine now, as I don't try to walk fire-crews into the ground anymore, I do less side-hilling, and my feet are wider (whatever!).

I slather on the Sno-Seal with an old tooth brush and set my leather boots next to the register.

I currently have some new 6" top Vasque boots supposedly gore-texed. So now I will probably have to get gaiters, either that or take them back. They are stiffer than the cheaper Hi-tec, but I literally had to pour water out of them the other day after a cloud-burst-bird-recon-hike. I was completely soaked, my Impertech jacket made no difference due to moving too fast and being too hot... It took two days to dry out the Vasque boots...right there next to useless....

I like the Burley-boot suggestion. I think they'd be less flexible than my extra tuffs. My feet get too sore in extra tuffs after all day. They'd probably get sore in Beaners too at this stage.

I have way more boots than most gurls have shoes....

The Danner Pronghorns are an awesome boot, very light and comfortable with a great sole that does great in the snow.
    The deal with Danners is yea some are made in China and some in the USA/ Oregon.
    The American made boots cost about 30% more than the overseas boots, and the ones made in USA have a warranty but the overseas boots don't. sad thing is you pretty much have to order from the factory to get the American made boots and their warranty is crap they really don't stand behind em and when they do ya gotta send em back to the factory on your dime then it takes weeks to get them back to you.
    I end up buying new boots every year though no matter what brand I end up with, i have yet to find any brand that can hold up to the hundreds of miles i put on bird hunting in and around all the Lava flows them little bastages live in..