Thread: Moose Hunting North of Healy

Default Moose Hunting North of Healy

Looking for some help.-- I was fortunate enough to be drawn for DM770 north of Healy and south of the Rex trail. I was not fortunate enough to have the time to recon the area like I wanted to. I will be hunting without a guide and probably be spending anywhere from 5-8 days in the field in an attempt to find a moose with 4 brow tines or greater than 50 inches. The area is bounded on the north by Rex trail, the south by the Healy river (I think) and the west by the parks hwy and the East by a river I can not spell at this time.

Question:
    1. I have the ability to hike this area but was wondering if this area is accessable to 4 wheelers. I understand that portions are restricted to this type of hunting but wonder even if the terrain is suitable to make taking mine worthwhile.

2. Where is a good entry point to enter the area so that my vehicle will be secure during the time that I am out hunting.

Thanks for any help -- I do wish I was retired and could have put more into this hunt but making a livining is getting in the way.

Thanks to all

Additionall information from the website is that the hunting area consist of the Wood River Controlled Use Area. Looks like that is the area with no mortorized vehicles allowed but might be able to get there via 4 wheeler. Still the question is is that possible or feasable and where is a good launch area for this.

thanks again

Permit DM770 is a "any bull permit" the 50", 4 brow tine doesn't pertain.

I think my dad had a cow permit in that area, maybe a little more south. Didnt matter, Ahtna had all the road accesable hunting grounds locked up. Id take a drive up there soon and get a survey of the land. Or at least go to ahtnas website and see what they own up there.

Hey M&D hunter,

Give me a call sometime. I've hunted the area a few times and would be more then happy to give you some intel on the area! My number is 750-4740.

Terry

Terry -- I will definately call -- my AUG scouting was shot by out of town work-- seems the job is always getting in the way of the important things in life-- thanks to all for the help

I've hunted the Rex trail area for over a decade now. Hiking would be difficult. A good many bogs and mud holes on the trail. Skirting the pits is generally not an option, as wheelers also try to skirt the bogs, further widening the pits. The trail is atv accessible, but only for advanced riders, or those with exceeding patience. The original trail was a mine trail, and tracked vehicles made some large pits in the muskeg. We normally manage about 16 miles in 12 hours with ATV's on the trail. In the past, South of the trail was no ATV access, so you will need to hike from the trail if that still holds.

I'll be heading in mid September with an any bull on the north side of the trail east of the parks.

Hi greybear, I've been hunting the rex off and on for 25 yrs, and in my opinion it was not the track rigs fault but the rubber tired rigs that have been coming in recently that blew that trail out.

Terry: Sent you a PM not sure it went through so apologize in advance if this a double up-- looked up manufacture width of our wheelers and the Arctic Cat TRV = 47.5 your Brute =46.5. Unless I misunderstood you --- not worried about that 1 inch since you said you had plenty of room. All that measuring and it was on Google all along--Ha

Did not get up to Ferry this weekend Murphy was at work at my house so guess it will be next weekend with hopes of staying to hunt

Had a friend call me tonight and tell me he shot a nice griz up on the Hall Road with his bow while hunting for Caribou

Hope you duck hunt went well

Greg

Greg,
    If you need a back up there for your hunt let me know. I know where we can find you a good one maybe two if we're really lucky. Give me a call and we'll talk more about it.

Terry