Thread: Satellite phone purchase - Iridium 9555 with minutes

Default Satellite phone purchase - Iridium 9555 with minutes

Been giving some thought to purchasing a new sat phone instead of renting one. They seem to be going for around $1K on fleabay. Anyone know of a shop around Anchorage that will come close to that price?

Is it possible to buy a plan that doesnt expire but will only charge us for minutes we might use?

Thanks
    Tennessee

Most of the price variations I've seen for 9555 phones is based on how the phone "kit" is packaged. The 9555 basic package at Surveyor's Exchange includes a phone, battery, belt case, charger, remote antenna, and the phone cradle for the antenna connection. You can find cheaper phones but they won't have all those goodies. I use everything in the kit so I'm happy with what I got. Antonio @ Surveyor's has been very helpful with firmware upgrades and rooftop antenna equipment. You can look on-line at the available phone service packages. I use my phone regularly all year long so I use the Northern lights package and have Surveyor's automatically renew it every 6 months. It costs $400 per year to maintain it and I get to keep my unused minutes. Surveyor's doing the auto renewal makes the service seamless and I don't have to think about it.

Gonna have to start renting mine in the near future....Don't use it much but out here in BFE we take it everywhere. With the automatic reload every six months I get another 200 minutes and they roll over. Sitting currently at like 2k minutes...

Got mine at Surveyors Exchange. got the package. Pretty much love the Pelican case it comes with.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Just got done renting a sat phone from Surveyor's Exchange. He said that sometime in November they will have "used" phones coming up for sale and it will be a 9555 with two batteries and case for $1K. Current Northern Lights Air time package is $198 for 6 months 200 free rollover minutes included. Basically, works out to about $33 a month with 200 free roll over minutes every six months. Like, Alaskan22 you'd have hundreds and hundreds of minutes in no time. Antonio also said, that if you find an Iridium phone for cheaper he can still sell you the air time package, accessories, etc.

I bought a used phone off the forum and surveyors was able to overnight me the sun card. Up and running in no time!