Thread: Current Condition of Upper Kenai Reds?

Default Current Condition of Upper Kenai Reds?

How do the reds look that are coming out of Skilak Lake these days? Last week fishing the Upper Kenai it seemed like 9 out of 10 of the reds were just that... RED. Are there some coming through now that haven't spent so much time in Skilak?

I floated Tues-Thur. this week. We saw quite a few fresh fish on Tues., but after that many more spent then fresh. Floated the canyon on Thur. with little change in fresh-spent fish ratio.

That's what I was afraid of...

Fished the last couple of days on the upper. 9 to 1 blushed/red sounds about right.

I worked it the last 2 days. There are chromers behind the firetrucks. They are staying to the outside of them and lower. Took me a about an hour to get my 6 and they were nice fish. June and I popped a half dozen bows too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    How do the reds look that are coming out of Skilak Lake these days?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Agree with chuck - fresher fish "hiding" behind and outside the blush and trucks. There were a couple periods where the general thought was no fish were going by but with the right light you could pick up some tails going by in the slightly deeper water --- i.e. fresher fish. I also caught one and saw a few others pick up some really small (12"-16") sockeye that were dime bright. Not sure what creek they belong to or if it's the "jack" version of reds -- I saw two easily identifiable bucks and one short nose (hen) of these small reds on Friday. Lots of dollies and a handful of bows in the mix as well. Overall plenty of fish to wear my arm out. If you put in your time you could get a mess of fish worth the table/smoker....at the same time you could probably fish the lower river and hook and catch fewer fish - but they would be better looking. Depends what type of action is preferred. Of course every day will be different - and diminishing (on average the lower on the river you go) from here on out.

tight lines.

The river below Jim's was stacked solid with fish; more than I have ever seen. Ratio was about 4 to 1; blushed to fresh. IBJ 8-5-2011.jpg.jpg

Forgive me for my stupidity, but where's Jim's? I live in Mat-Su area.

Jims is the landing that everyone pulls out at if the dont want to run the canyon on the upper. If you take skilak lake road it is on the left just after you make the left.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

That's how most of mine look by now....delicious