Thread: Going to be a first time boater

Talking Going to be a first time boater

Hello I am currently in the market for boats. I have one in mind and was curious what experience boaters might think. I know everyone's opinion will be different but I will be brand new to owning a boat. I am looking at a bayliner trophy pro 2802. I'm a big fan of the walk around and the fishing space. I am hoping that this boat would be able to go out to montague with no problem or other places of such distances. My current budget on boats is around 50k and I'm looking for something with allot of fishing space not something that's all cabin. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

Any information you can provide such as hours on engine(s), outboard or stern drive, year, etc. For any boat, I suggest a marine survey and for sure a sea trial. I have had a Bayliner (24 foot) for 10 years and I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

thanks for the reply, i would like to get something with outboards that way i dont have to manuver around the dog house when fishing, i do plan on having a marine survey done on whatever boat i do decide on getting. As far as hours i am not sure because this would be my first boat purchase. I just dont want to get something that is going to be to small as then i would have to get something bigger, i would like to be able to fish 4-6 people.

OK, when you said you had a boat in mind and then mentioned the Trophy, I thought you'd found one in particular. You might want to check out the Bayliners club (Baylinerownersclud.org) and ask your question since all the members own Bayliners and will have some valuable input. Good luck with whatever you get.

I have an older Bayliner Trophy 2860 and it does very well in PWS. Many trips from Valdez to Hichenbrook and Montangue without many problems. Seems to handle the rough weather better than me. Plenty of deck space for fishing and still a nice cabin to get out of the rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my opinion, the walk around is great in a huge boat, but not worth it in boats in size range as it robs from the space inside the boat and the only usable thing it is good for is going up to drop and retrieve the hook. Most sportfishing boats have great handrails or a hatch in the bow to make this job easily enough to do. In general, people I have talked to really enjoy their Trophy boats, but they basically an entry level boat, and many Bayliner had build troubles. Make sure to get a survey and take a test ride. Best of luck on your purchase.

Thanks everyone for your reply's im not quite to sure on what boat i want i just like alot of fishing space and would like to make to best out of my purchase, once again thanks and tight line's