Looks like the calf survival was good in the last year or two

From: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...8&regyear=2011
    Hunt Details
    Permit hunt: RC566
    2011 Caribou hunting
    Number of Permits: 99,999
    Legal Animal: One caribou unless changed by EO

"Your papers are not in order"

Dang, I knew I was going to have some competition, but that's going to be rough!

Nothing like hunting with 99,998 of your closest friends...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Yeah, but isn't there some stipulation this year that restricts permit holders from hunting anywhere else in the state for caribou and moose? I can't believe fish and game is just going to recklessly let everyone who wants a permit to hold one. If that is the case the season won't last very long. Maybe 20 minutes?

And the quota is only 2400 animals. I'm glad I didn't apply and win a drawing permit...

Now, Now...............while there may be 100 grand permit holders..............how many will actually be in the field on any given day? How far into the hunt area will those permit holders penetrate?
    Come on.............many on here are regularly touting to "get off the road" so follow your own advice and get out there. Hunt mid week, or when the weather sucks!! Haha!
    Hey..............marry an AHTNA shareholder!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I wasn't aware that drawing permit holders were effected by Subsistence harvest.

Okay. So if you or anybody else in your household apply for an RC566 you CANNOT hunt caribou anywhere else in the state and you CANNOT hunt for moose anywhere but unit 13. So hopefully that will deter some of the 100 grand who have intentions of applying.

Fellas, I'm quite certain that the 99,999 figure is a mistake. I think some of you get that, but some of these responses...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Fellas, I'm quite certain that the 99,999 figure is a mistake. I think some of you get that, but some of these responses...
    I hope you are right Brian. But I am curious why you are so sure it is a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I hope you are right Brian. But I am curious why you are so sure it is a mistake?
    You can download the Tier I winner list off of ADF&G's website. It's just over 3,100 permit holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can download the Tier I winner list off of ADF&G's website. It's just over 3,100 permit holders.
    I agree that's more like the number, not 100K hunters..... geesh.

I'd still like to buy some stock in the Eureka cafe; biz will be booming there; do they still serve a 25 cent coffee?

Have they mailed out those permits yet?

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Yep, they did a few weeks ago. The season opens in 3 days (August 10) for Tier I. It is clearly a typo since they aren't issuing new permits.

Bushwhack - They did issue permits to anyone who wanted them. That is what the Tier I system was this year. Everyone who applied got a permit, but there were limitations put on those people and their households, as stated by others already. I went for, and got, a drawing permit. That way, I still got my permit, but without any of the limitations, but I take the risk of not getting to hunt if the quota is filled before I go in the field. I don't mind that risk since I have other hunting options in my back pocket if that falls through.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

what is fish and game requiring for antler/trophy destruction for this tier I hunt. Didnt apply or it but am curious how it's gonna be run.

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    what is fish and game requiring for antler/trophy destruction for this tier I hunt. Didnt apply or it but am curious how it's gonna be run.
    No uglies. No requirement to destroy antlers at all.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Default F&G is very good at issuing new permits

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    I'm impressed how fast and easily F&G issues replacement permits if you didn't get yours. Only downside is that you have to walk in the door (I think... I haven't tried this remotely), but once you do walk into their offices, they'll print out a replacement that looks every bit as good as the original and you'll be walking out in a matter of minutes. Very very nice.

All meat must remain on the bones of the front and hind quarters and the ribs. What about the neck, inside tenders and the backstap? And only after the 500 cow quota have been reached does proof sex have to remain attached.That shouldn't take to long. This is a meat hunt and fat cow beats poor bull anyday.

As a side note to that 2400 animal quota its a total quota for all caribou hunts in unit 13, including the federal subsistence. I just recently spoke with the biologist here and she said that the draw hunt would be the first to get closed, then the Teir 1 and lastly the community hunt. The federal doesn't get closed by emergency order, so you can figure theres 400 animals deducted from the 2400 right there. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
    Oh and also the Teir 1 hunt aplicants already have been awarded there tags if they applied. You can't just walk in there and get one now. I think theres roughly 3100-3200 Teir 1 tags given out.

If I would have known the draw hunt would have been the first to be closed I would have saved my money and put in for only a tier 1 permit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast