Thread: Knik river railroad bridge

Default Knik river railroad bridge

Searched and didn't find an answer. I remember in the past seeing old pilings sticking up under the bridge as I drove by. Now was thinking of running up there in a jet boat and wondering if they still are a risk and is there a certain opening going up stream to use. Thanks for any info!

I do not recall seeing pilings there under the bridge though I did run my smaller jet boat up there a few times when I had it. River right while going upstream I went through one (both in total) of the two farthest right spaces.

I ran through a couple openings on the left side (heading upstream). I don't recall seeing anything that wasn't obvious and certainly didn't hit anything submerged.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it!

I've launched from the Kink Bridge 4 or 5 times and have gone through the second set of pilings (under the over pass) and moved over to the right side of the river. I also pass through the second opening (pilings) without problems. I do remember when the Railroad replaced the pilings they were real close together (with the old ones) during the renovation; so traveling in the center of the opening of the two pilings is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Searched and didn't find an answer. I remember in the past seeing old pilings sticking up under the bridge as I drove by. Now was thinking of running up there in a jet boat and wondering if they still are a risk and is there a certain opening going up stream to use. Thanks for any info!

Thank you Armed Alaskan! I appre ciate it.

There was definitely a problem piling protruding in years past - I believe near the north end of the bridge. W/O info confirming its removal, one should assume it is still there.
    Perhaps the RR should be asked about this.