Thread: Where is the best place to fish Ketchikan or Soldotna and Seward.

Default Where is the best place to fish Ketchikan or Soldotna and Seward.

Hi my family and I will be going to Alaska this summer and we are having a hard time deciding were to go. We could go to a fish camp on the Kenai River and then down to Seward or we could go to a fishing lodge in Ketchikan. In Ketchikan we would have our own boat plus a guide. On the Kenai we would have to go on boats with guides and fish from shore. We want good fishing but at the same time we would like to see lots of the beauty of Alaska. Both places offer fly in fishing. Where do you think there is better fishing? We also don't want lots of crouds. I would appreciate some help from people who know Alaska but don't have a reason for my business. Thanks for your help.

what month are you going? did you look in too craig on prince of wales? its a 45 min float plane ride from ketchikan. i think the fishing is much better than ketchikan most of the time.and its beautiful untuched wilderness.crowdes are not that bad if you compare it ot the kenai.I grew up in ketchikan and i guide for a lodge out of craig Im not trying to get your business I had three days off last summer.just informing you. i guided out of ketchikan for a few years and i like craig much better.IM me and ill tell you the names of a few good lodges in craig and you can look them up on the web and decide for your self if you deside too go to craig.

Just by you saying you'd like to see less people I'd advise for Ketchikan. Kenai is crowded period. Seward is something like our 5th biggest "city" and ketch is smaller. If you want to stay on the pennisula what about Soldovia? I don't know what time you are coming so don't know if the slough over there is fishable for salmon, but Soldovia itself is a very cool place. Or try basecamping at Hope or Cooper landing instead of one of the more popular places. Or go to Kasilof camp there and go to the Kenai wich isn't far (20 minutes?) Tons of options.

Ok, first thanks for posting and welcome. Next when are you coming up? this is big because it will determine what is running?

June
    Ocean you have Kings, halibut, rockfish ,and yellow eye

kenai
    Rivers. Kings, trout, dollies, and reds mid month

July ocean
    Lings, halibut, rockfish and yellow eye. Also Few kings still can be caught. Silver start to show up mid to late in the month.

Kenai
    Second run of Kings, Reds secoond run shows up mid month. trout and dollies.

Aug.
    Ocean Halibut, silvers, lings, rockfish and yelloweye

Kenai
    Rivers trout, dollies, silvers, reds,
    So you see that timeing is important.

I like cooper landing and homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Just by you saying you'd like to see less people I'd advise for Ketchikan. Kenai is crowded period. Seward is something like our 5th biggest "city" and ketch is smaller. If you want to stay on the pennisula what about Soldovia? I don't know what time you are coming so don't know if the slough over there is fishable for salmon, but Soldovia itself is a very cool place. Or try basecamping at Hope or Cooper landing instead of one of the more popular places. Or go to Kasilof camp there and go to the Kenai wich isn't far (20 minutes?) Tons of options.
    ketchikan is the third largest city but kenai is better known for the fishing wich makes it a lot more crowded craig is about 2500 plp and the charter fleet is geting biger but not like up north. Ketchikans fleet is mostly day charters that take out the cruse ship peaple out some times they will fish right in front of town. but agin it all depends on when you are coming up ketchikan can be great king salmon fishing or you may get there for the humpy fest.

It depends do you prefer catching reds in a river with a lot of poeple or trolling for kings/ dropping for butts with a lot of boats.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ketchikan then to Craig

I agree with Bent fin in regards to visiting Craig on POW. Lots of great charter outfits, and I would stick to the west side of POW. Many good charters and less people than your other choices. I won't mention names, but I would stay away from the "bigger" lodges/fleets and stick to the smaller ones. Some of the big boys tend to herd their guests around like sheep.

Red face Crowds and more crowds. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Beckie Robb View Post
    We want good fishing but at the same time we would like to see lots of the beauty of Alaska. We also don't want lots of crouds.
    During July, the entire Kenai Peninsula—its roads, campgrounds, and rivers—are jam-packed with people, boats, and motor homes.

I'd go to yukon to avoid crowds lol.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Ok, first thanks for posting and welcome. Next when are you coming up? this is big because it will determine what is running?

June
    Ocean you have Kings, halibut, rockfish ,and yellow eye

kenai
    Rivers. Kings, trout, dollies, and reds mid month

July ocean
    Lings, halibut, rockfish and yellow eye. Also Few kings still can be caught. Silver start to show up mid to late in the month.

Kenai
    Second run of Kings, Reds secoond run shows up mid month. trout and dollies.

Aug.
    Ocean Halibut, silvers, lings, rockfish and yelloweye

Kenai
    Rivers trout, dollies, silvers, reds,
    So you see that timeing is important.

I like cooper landing and homer.
    Gary,

I'll be in AK july 29th thru Aug 7th. Will the reds still be available in the kenai? What other species can i catch in the kenai and russian at that time?

You will catch the tail end of the second run for reds. But don't let this discourange you. The fishing will be good to awsome. Though I will say on Aug. you will have to weed through some of the red that have turned color to get to the fresh ones. But that adds alittle more fun. Other fish you can catch on the river will be trout and silvers.

If you can get to seward or homer silver will be in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I will be on a cruise and stopping at Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point and Juneau between July 12 and 18. Where would you recommend fishing for King Salmon (1st choice) and Halibut (2nd choice). As you are probably aware, 4-6 hr trip is preferable. I would like to be pointed in the direction of "good" charter captains.

Wink Where is the best place to fish Ketchikan or Soldotna and Seward

I would definately check out the Soldotna area. The end of July and August are excellent for fly out fishing for Silvers. No crowds, extremely remote and a good representation of Alaska's beauty! Check with Natron Air or Talon Air for a fly out trip.