Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding suet to ground meat

Default adding suet to ground meat

I usually use my ground meat for taco meat, spaghetti, hamburger helper etc. so I do not add suet to my meat. For grilling patties I buy a cheap bag of bacon ends and pieces and grind that into some of the meat and form my patties before freezing a few bags of those. Do the majority of people add suet to all or just some of their meat? What are the advantages other than burgers staying together to adding fat to naturally lean meat?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We used to run along about the same lines as you, but less. We added bacon ends to our saugage and that's about it.

One interesting local gambit- Rather than suet, a friend tried using white fish rather than suet in sausage. Looks the same and tastes the same but not so fat. If it's good quality fish, the only real difference you'll notice is the need to use a nonstick pan for cooking sausage patties- it's that lean. Works so well we do it ourselves now, and I'm not even sure where I could buy bacon ends any more, it's been so long since we have used it.

I add some fat when I grind fall bear to help cover any fish taste, but that's about it. I save all the drippings from cooking bacon, if and when I want a little oil in a pan for frying meat I just add a spoonful of bacon grease when I'm heating the pan up.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I add some fat when I grind fall bear to help cover any fish taste,.
    Oh man you just grossed me out a fish smelling bear forget that,,,,,yuk, I'd rather eat dirt
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    What are the advantages other than burgers staying together to adding fat to naturally lean meat?
    None, unless you're simply looking to add cholesterol and calories to your diet.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

We don't add any, but this year I'm going to be saving the white kidney fat from my caribou to grind into some burger. I understand that the kidney fat is far superior to the exterior fat, and since it is hormone-free and such, I don't mind the few calories if it makes a better burger. For 90% of our use, though, no fat at all is just fine.

The only reason you add fat to the burger is to hold it together. If you use it other than pattys, theres more than enough fat in the meat to make up the daily allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Oh man you just grossed me out a fish smelling bear forget that,,,,,yuk, I'd rather eat dirt
    Surf and turf! some restaurants charge big money for the same thing!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Default suet: Yes, and always a double grind

I always add suet to my first grind, but I'm far from health conscious, so I understand the point of those who don't. During the first grind I have to clean out the grinder blades often to remove the sinew.

Then I always grind it a second time, adding nothing. Second grind makes it much prettier & more consistent looking, and goes extremely fast since my grinder's motor is large and there is no sinew present, so no blade cleaning need be done.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

The average juicy restaurant burger you can buy has 18% fat. That's where the juicy part comes from. A no-fat moose burger tastes like a cooked shoe. I've done it with zero and with 5% fat and like it for recipe cooking but for burgers we add butter. Last year my partners and I added about 8% of mixed beef and pork fat and they burger is better in every way except healthy and I don't eat enough of it to make it a problem.

I know this will get me flamed but we've been adding smoked bacon to ours for years, about 10%.
    No complaints from our friends or family, ever. Baconburgers!

We usually add a boston butt roast to the grind, not just straight fat.
    Makes great burgers and tastes the same!
    Really can't go wrong eating wild game, regardless of how you like it, it's still good for you.
    BK

Most of my ground meat is just that- straight ground meat. But when I want to add suet I go to a local grocer and ask them to save the trimmings from their meat processing. Most times I get them free or VERY cheap (got 15# total for $3.00 last time). I use beef for my venison and pork for my wild hogs (always add suet to my wild hog- WAY TOO dry without it). Usually use a 15% ratio (about 12.5# meat and 2.5# trimmings) for both.

Been doing 20% my whole life and have had SEVERAL people ask me what i do to my moose burgers that makes them so tasty. Most of it cooks off on the grill or just drain it if you fry. This family goes thru TONS of burger, usually 2-3 times a week..

20% is what I usually do too, almost leary to post it though, question was asked a couple years ago I said what I added and there was 25 posters after saying just how unhealthy and how I was ruining my burger, couldn't believe people slamming me on a post on how I like to take care of my harvested meat. It's to each their own if others don't do it good for them, better for me that means there will be suet availible what I butcher.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

As with venison and now with the moose last year we add 7% beef fat only. We also double grind adding the fat in the first course grind and finish up with second finer grind.

We've done it a bunch of ways....grind with cheap bacon, with beef fat, with suet... different grind for different burgers..For hamburgers I like to use the bacon mix. Like someone said above..bacon burgers!

For chili and soups, the beef fat or suet leaner mixes are good. For spagetti or for breakfast with eggs, I like the pork/fat/bacon mixed with the breakfast sausage seasoning.

Sometimes I feel like eating healthy lean meat and sometimes I feel like a big fat juicy dripping moose hamburger!!

For years people told me to trim off all the fat on game meat before you grind it or the meat would taste strong. Well, on the last goat I killed and this years sheep I saved the fat and ground it with the meat and OMG is it delicious. Twice through the grinder to ensure that the lean and fat are mixed and ground well and I have some awesome meat ready for anything you would use ground beef for.

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Default grind twice

And here I thought I was the only person alive that ran it through the grinder twice. Thanks Stid & King; now I don't feel so alone.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

We have always ground our "burger" twice.. because.... that's how my Grandma did it when we were kids.... We also mix 5% to 7% (more or less) beef suet with our burger. Back when I was allowed to eat a lot of Sausage and Eggs for Breakfast, we'd go to Carr's in Eagle River and buy up some HOT pork sausage that they made, and mix that 50-50 with our moose burger and repackage it... What it all really boils down to is personal preference...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast