Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper than a sat phone.

Default Cheaper than a sat phone.

But does it need a subscription like the regular SPOT?

http://www.getyourtech.com/servlet/t...tellite/Detail

Casper, there's nothing like a voice in the other end of the line, let me tell you. I've been medevac'd.

Looks like the dividends will be going up, so let the state buy you one this year. You'll LOVE the peace of mind it brings... Unless it's soaked! So keep it dry. I was too cheap to buy the Pelican case, but I learned that one the hard way too!

Pulling for you and that dividend,

Taylor

Marc I already own a sat phone. Just throwing this out there for those that don't. I keep mine on me at all times. Contained in a ziplock bag, a dry bag and then my water resistant pack.

I used a SPOT last year and worked great. It looks as if now it can be teamed with your cell phone to send text messages to loved ones while on the hunt through the spot tracker all with an app. I had it set up to track my progress and all at home could follow my foot steps while in the mountains. My parents are from NY and absolutely loved tracking my hunting partner and I on Google earth as we made our way in the Wrangell mountains. I would recommend it, solid product and got very wet in the rain not missing a beat.

I don't know much about the Connect, but we used a SPOT on two hunts last year. One hunt in the Brooks, the other in the Yanert area. I can tell you that the signal was hit or miss (both in terms of check in and tracking). We obviously didn't discover it until we arrived home, but there was a good 24 window of no signal whatsoever when we were in the Brooks and a few "check ins" that went unnoticed in the Yanert. Not knowing if your message went through will be the kicker...but hearing a voice on the other end of the line with a Sat phone is my peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
    Not knowing if your message went through will be the kicker
    We have both the first Spot and the newer one, with the newer one it lets you know if the msg has been sent with a new lil green light It was always a wonder with the older one.

Default read the lights and the documentation

Quote Originally Posted by aktomboy View Post
    We have both the first Spot and the newer one, with the newer one it lets you know if the msg has been sent with a new lil green light It was always a wonder with the older one.
    The older one (I bought one of the first, and still have and use it) DOES indicate when a message goes through. I'll be the first to say that reading the lights correctly is not easy nor intuitive, but it is documented well and works as advertised. In short, if you read the lights right, you DO know while afield if your message is sent.

Don't mean to be disagreeable, just mean to be correct.

I must not read the lights right on my new style SPOT, my wife didn't not receive a couple OK messages this week that I was sure was sent.

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    I must not read the lights right on my new style SPOT, my wife didn't not receive a couple OK messages this week that I was sure was sent.
    I couldn't tell ya about the new (smaller, with AAA batteries) SPOT. I've never used one of those new ones. Maybe someone else on here can chime in with some experience on those.

I used one last year on a boat based hunt out of homer last year and the year before on a hunt north of Dillingham and both time I had about a 98% success. Buy one they are worth the insureance. I would have one even with a sat phone! The rescue insurance alone makes it worth it.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default using the spot unit correctly

I tested mine older spot unit while at home and the common mistake the help line folks noted was everyone is impatient and they expect it to send immediately. So basically I was told to leave it alone and come back after a short while when the light indicated the message was sent. I followed their instructions and successfully send all messages.

SaHunter

PS there is no upgrade path from the older units to this new one (something I mentioned to the SPOT folks would have been nice).

I carry mine along with my sat phone just for the optional medivac insurance they offer. I think it was 15 bucks a year for $125K in rescue insurance. My numbers might be off but it is still a good deal.

I've got the SPOT 2. Used a little last year and a lot this year. The "message sent" indicator light isn't 100% reliable. Tboehm said 98%, and I would say that is about right. If you want to be sure that your message was sent, leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes after the "message sent" indicator light comes on. That seems to do the trick most of the time, but not always.
    I don't have any experience with the SPOT Connect, but I would say that in general SPOT seems to be offering a good service for a reasonable price. My wife's improved attitude about me going hunting was well worth the price.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The older one (I bought one of the first, and still have and use it) DOES indicate when a message goes through. I'll be the first to say that reading the lights correctly is not easy nor intuitive, but it is documented well and works as advertised. In short, if you read the lights right, you DO know while afield if your message is sent.

Don't mean to be disagreeable, just mean to be correct.
    Well kudos ~ I guess none of us know how to read the first model correclty around my camps but either way always good to know when your msgs get out to who your sending them to ~ On the newest model it was even one of the biggest selling points for new Spot owners the fact that you could now see that your msg had been sent ~ We leave ours on just about all the time to show out of state famliy where we are at and our friends who couldnt make it as well ~ that might also have helped as others have said for our msgs to get out and to the proper people

Default correctly reading the original SPOT's message-sent confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by aktomboy View Post
    Well kudos ~ I guess none of us know how to read the first model correclty around my camps
    I'd be happy to help you.

Or, you can just read the manual; it does explain this pretty well, although of course reading instructions might very well endanger your guy-card.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Casper, there's nothing like a voice in the other end of the line, let me tell you. I've been medevac'd.

Looks like the dividends will be going up, so let the state buy you one this year. You'll LOVE the peace of mind it brings... Unless it's soaked! So keep it dry. I was too cheap to buy the Pelican case, but I learned that one the hard way too!

Pulling for you and that dividend,

Taylor
    I hear ya Marc. My brother's Sat phone has saved two lives so far. I think myself and a buddy are going to split one shortly...there's just no better insurance for playing in the potentially dangerous woods...

i wonder when they will come out with a model that can receive messages, even if its double the price it would be way worth it. i read a review from a park ranger in yosemite, he said that a group of two adult males and two teenagers were out camping and he received a sos from a spot. they went out with a helicopter to rescue the campers and the adults refused to get in saying that they were fine. apparently the teenagers hit the panic button because they were running low on water. that is a lot of money that is wasted and wouldnt have been if there was two way communication.

Nothing will beat the Sat Phone !!!!............ It was nice to text my buddies in another drainage to hear how they were doing and that they were safe and they tagged out and was heading back..... Recieving doesn't cost any minutes, To send texts it only cost 1/3 of a minute per text.

I gave up on the sat phones as they didnt work all the time or everywhere. Especially in a river bottom surrounded by hills. I trust my SPOT 2 far more to send a signal when I need to... I had a stressful incident last year when I couldnt get the dern phone to work on my one week check in. I had to boat out miles to cell range and back. Get a SPOT and you wont regret it, neither will your loved ones at home!! plus now you can put the technology on your smart phones..

Quote Originally Posted by haines dave View Post
    I gave up on the sat phones as they didnt work all the time or everywhere. Especially in a river bottom surrounded by hills. I trust my SPOT 2 far more to send a signal when I need to... I had a stressful incident last year when I couldnt get the dern phone to work on my one week check in. I had to boat out miles to cell range and back. Get a SPOT and you wont regret it, neither will your loved ones at home!! plus now you can put the technology on your smart phones..
    Wow, that's a backwards post if I've ever read one! (or at least surprising to me). What make/model/service were you using with your sat phone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast