Thread: A king for the kid.... ALMOST

Default A king for the kid.... ALMOST

We're in the middle of a wide open bite at the Mud on our last evening of fishing (July 23) when a father and young son team nearby gets bit. Yee Haw! KING ON! And when the fish starts running upriver, we KNOW it's a biggun! Boats scatter to give the young feller his due, but as Dad starts chasing the monster king upriver, the line angle starts looking a little funny.

DANG!

Figures that fish would find the ONLY mid-river snag in that stretch of the river! Dad takes over for Jr and things quickly take a turn for the worse. Elation turns to despair which eventually turns to disgust as the rod explodes midshaft!

DANG!

Feel bad for the young man but KUDOS to Dad for gettin' him out on a fantastic evening of king fishing. Oh yeah, KUDOS to Dad for having REALLY nice rodholders on board, too!

If any of you locals recognize the boat, Dad, or the young lad, feel free to pass this post along. BTW the boat numbers are AK 9067 AL .
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Poor kid!

Sounds like you'll be returning home to much better king fishing than we've been seeing up here, send us some photos of one so we can see what they look like!

Great photos. I recognized my friend Brad right away. He had told me about this hook up last week. I will let him know so he can check out the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
    Great photos. I recognized my friend Brad right away. He had told me about this hook up last week. I will let him know so he can check out the photos.
    Feel free to PM me his e-mail and I will forward higher-rez pics on to him.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

The angler is my little buddy Camden with his dad. two yrs ago he caught (and released!) a 60 lber. Hes going to be an awesome sportsman.

Joel

Hey FishNPhysician
    Would love to have the photos, I can send the one to Loomis and see if they will replace my GL2, or if not I will post it at Sportmans with a warning. Actually, that rod has fished the Kenai many a day without a problem, better there than on a hog. My e-mail
    Brad_Benter@fws.gov will be great for our take a kid fishing file here at work. Love your posts over the years, gets me motivated to get on the river. Please keep it up and thanks for being such a positive force on the river, it can get ugly at times when you don't run a preditor.
    The e-mail is Brad_Benter if is a bit hard to see when underlined.

Pics comin' your way, Brad.... after my Med Exec meeting at the hospital tonight.

A new Loomis GL2 can be had for $100 thru the X-peditor Program.

If that's too obscene for a "lifetime" warranty, consider a comparable SST from Okuma for about $59.99. Bet they got'em at Trusty... maybe even cheaper for the season-end close-out.

Gotta run!
    The KeenEye MD