Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelchina subsistence in Anchorage

Default Nelchina subsistence in Anchorage

Here is another unique part of the board of games plan. Do they realize that what they have done is allowed people who reside in the less affluant parts of Anchorage, making little money and who chose to not practice birth controll and make babies get a better chance of a Nelchina permit then those living in the game area. Think about it your family makes 40 grand you live in Anchorage and you have 5 kids, you get a permit. You live in Cantwell with your wife and run a gas station make 52 grand and you get nothing! Does it make sense, not hardly. I guess the answer is throw away the condoms, make alot of babies and quit your job. How fair and smart is that? Chef

I don't believe that if you make under 51K you will automatically get a permit.It's just that you will score more points on that one question out of the 20 or so that are one the application.I do feel your fustrations though!!

Thumbs down Subsistance and Anchorage??

Help me out here and tell me how any one living in METRO Anchorage should get a subsistence permit? When you drive by 2 Carrs/Safeway and 3 Fred Meyers on the way home from work, subsistence should be out of the question!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default carrs and freddies

don't have moose and caribou.
    in case you have'nt been there in a while.

Carefull there Walt!I'm a life long Alaskan and live in Anchorage(Eagle River) and a single dad with two kids and a mortgage that I can hardly afford.We eat moose,caribou and fish at LEAST 3 nights a week and I make over 51K a year!

PS-comming to see you in June!

so would you rather have the federal subsistence program?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Help me out here and tell me how any one living in METRO Anchorage should get a subsistence permit? When you drive by 2 Carrs/Safeway and 3 Fred Meyers on the way home from work, subsistence should be out of the question!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com
    And don't forget Costco and Sams Club too.....

is everyone still missing this, ITS NOT SUBSITANCE!!! a large percentage of folks that hunt teir II are not subsiting off that one caribou. they are more hunting it because thats what they grew up doing..making it more traditional. i live in big lake, have two little boys a wife, we're on denali kid care and WIC and make less than the 51, but i won't get a permit, don't score in enough of the other areas, even though i've hunted unti 13 for 18 years and shot my first caribou there when i was 10. Tags will go to guys in anchorage before they'll go to me, even with the salary cap.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We know it's not subsistance BRWNBR but thats what they call it so until they make some changes to it that is what it will be known as. To many people are crying about not getting their gravy train tag to go out and it's pretty sad really. There are a lot of people way more deserving of those tags than most of the folks that get them. Me, I won't ever get a tag and don't really care but if it should ever go to a draw you can bet i'll be putting in for it. The BOG had to do something since a lot of people want to stretch the truth on their applications just to get a caribou tag. You know BRWNBR, thats the only reason you don't get a tag or tags, if people were more honeest when they filled out their apps most wouldn't even get a tag, keeps the honest one's like yourself out of the hunt and thats a dang shame.

ahh i don't need a tag, i don't have a fourwheeler!! lol so it wouldn't do me much good if i got a tag it'd actually be cheaper for me to fly out to hunt them..but now you can't do that either...doubtfull i'd even apply. i don't really wanna walk that far...lol
    Master guide 212

No 4-wheeler needed, BRWNBR. I've taken a couple of caribou up there on foot. It's a false notion that you need an atv for that hunt.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ahh i don't need a tag, i don't have a fourwheeler!! lol so it wouldn't do me much good if i got a tag it'd actually be cheaper for me to fly out to hunt them..but now you can't do that either...doubtfull i'd even apply. i don't really wanna walk that far...lol
    lol, I'd be more than happy to let you borrow my wheeler and meat trailer Jake, as long as you don't mind riding a Honda....lol

lol well..i'm sure if i had a tag someone would find a way to get me out there but with my guide schedule its not likely it would work out anyway, might as well not apply if i can't use the tag in the first place.
    Brain, i know guys do it on foot, but that don't mean i wanna be one of them! lol i get enough ground pounding during guide season, for sheep or mt goat, even bear i'd walk, but a caribou...no thanks, well i shouldn't say that...love to hunt to much to pass up a chance...dang it.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    We know it's not subsistance BRWNBR but thats what they call it so until they make some changes to it that is what it will be known as. To many people are crying about not getting their gravy train tag to go out and it's pretty sad really. There are a lot of people way more deserving of those tags than most of the folks that get them. Me, I won't ever get a tag and don't really care but if it should ever go to a draw you can bet i'll be putting in for it. The BOG had to do something since a lot of people want to stretch the truth on their applications just to get a caribou tag. You know BRWNBR, thats the only reason you don't get a tag or tags, if people were more honeest when they filled out their apps most wouldn't even get a tag, keeps the honest one's like yourself out of the hunt and thats a dang shame.

Well put, AK45.

IMO the largest problem is the average guy doesn't take a guide or fly out do to the expense. With that being said where else can you hunt caribou without driving 800 miles to BFE. I mean after all that isn't cheap either.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    With that being said where else can you hunt caribou without driving 800 miles to BFE.
    About 30 miles out my front door.

Default Subsistance fallacy

The ONLY thing I disagree about with "subsistance" is the truly needy sometimes cannot get a tag. Income should NOT matter, as someone already said. I cannot do most hunts because I live in Eagle River and won't lie on the application. I don't have a problem with that if it truly is for "subsistance". If I make $25,000 and live in Anchorage or Soldotna, I should NOT be allowed to get a "subsistance" tag, period. If I make $100,000 and live in Galena or Eagle, it should be my right to get a tag if available.

3 houses down from me, there is a couple that earn as much as, if not more than I do from their native dividends and his slope job and her teaching job, but get subsistance "rights" every year, both hunting and fishing. THIS is just plain wrong. If they truly did depend on it and were not in the same tax bracket I am, I would not mind it one bit.

I do believe it should be truly for folks that live in the bush away from the populated centers, regardless of income. In town, no one needs this.

Just my take on it.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I don't care where anyone lives. If you make $100k/yr you aren't needy and it shouldn't be a god give right that you get a permit! Nope I don't have an answer to the problem. I could join the its screwed up because I won't ever get one club though

Have read a little about this topic on the thread and want to make sure I understand.............you essentially have a welfare system that involves hunting and fishing licenses in Alaska.

Default code for racism

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    The ONLY thing I disagree about with "subsistance" is the truly needy sometimes cannot get a tag. Income should NOT matter, as someone already said. I cannot do most hunts because I live in Eagle River and won't lie on the application. I don't have a problem with that if it truly is for "subsistance". If I make $25,000 and live in Anchorage or Soldotna, I should NOT be allowed to get a "subsistance" tag, period. If I make $100,000 and live in Galena or Eagle, it should be my right to get a tag if available.

3 houses down from me, there is a couple that earn as much as, if not more than I do from their native dividends and his slope job and her teaching job, but get subsistance "rights" every year, both hunting and fishing. THIS is just plain wrong. If they truly did depend on it and were not in the same tax bracket I am, I would not mind it one bit.

I do believe it should be truly for folks that live in the bush away from the populated centers, regardless of income. In town, no one needs this.

Just my take on it.......
    Making it based on salary is a slick way for the state to practice racism.

like a poll tax to keep blacks from voting.

Now they got a way to keep whitey down.

jedi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast