Thread: 6hp on a lake skiff????

Default 6hp on a lake skiff????

I have a 6 HP on a little lightweight 1432 Lowe Jon Boat and it moves along pretty well
    It's a really light boat, I bet it doesn't weigh over 100#

I'd like a little higher sides and stability for the kids so I'm looking for a 14' semi V

Would my little 6HP move it along as well as the Jon Boat?............ better?

I know I'd need something fairly light but what about a 14' Klamath?

I'm not looking to set speed records here just get around the lake

You'll get around the lake OK. Heck, people use 6hp for aux kickers on 20 footers. In the 50s they used 9.9 hp long shafts on heavy wooden sailboat hulls when power was first allowed in Bristol Bay. You may have to fool with propping, but you'll be able to putt around and have fun. If I was you I would go for a light 12 footer, such as a Crestliner or similar.http://www.crestliner.com/xcr-small-aluminum-boat/

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I have a 6 HP on a little lightweight 1432 Lowe Jon Boat and it moves along pretty well
    It's a really light boat, I bet it doesn't weigh over 100#

I'd like a little higher sides and stability for the kids so I'm looking for a 14' semi V

Would my little 6HP move it along as well as the Jon Boat?............ better?

I know I'd need something fairly light but what about a 14' Klamath?

I'm not looking to set speed records here just get around the lake
    I doubt it will be much, if any, slower at all. You'd probably need a GPS to even notice in fact. Anyway, it is going to move the Klamath at hull speed which is probably around 5-6 MPH. I have a 7 hp motor on a 15 foot glass boat for a kicker and around 5-6 mph is all it gets. It is probably close to the same weight as the Klamath. My 3.5 hp on my 14 foot river boat moves it at about 5 mph too. The 3.5 moves my 22 foot boat about 4 mph. The 7 hp motor moves it a tiny bit faster - about 4-5 mph. The 3.5 hp is perfect for trolling in either boat.... My 20 hp motor on my 14 aluminum boat goes along very well. At any rate, it's going to take a lot more power than 6 hp to get it on step. I doubt you'll notice a performance difference.