Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sept on Upper Kenai. Suggest anything but a bead. I am FLY fishing this year...

Default Sept on Upper Kenai. Suggest anything but a bead. I am FLY fishing this year...

Disclaimer:

Dan will use his centerpin setup to slay bows and dollies on the Upper Kenai gravel bars this September.

With that said, I hate fishing beads with my fly rods.

My favorite fish last Sept was taken on a flesh colored leech. Just a 16-18" bow, but it absolutely hammered my swung leech and was the best fishing experience I had last year although I caught several bigger fish. This year I am going to fish flies exclusively with my 7 wt. Got a new Scott X2s and St Croix Bank Robber to break in anyway. Ideally, swinging some flies with my type III sink tip, my favorite way to fish. Also will dead drift some patterns, but to a lesser extent.

Wondering if anyone, and I mean anyone, has had much (any) success with anything other than beads in September. Inventorying my flies today I found several patterns that caught my eye and will be in the fly box. Namely, ESL's, flesh/ginger leech patterns, red/ginger "bandits"(AFFG), battle creek specials, olive/white dolly llamas, and pink/white dolly llamas. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help fill out the box. Thought about putting in a quick order to the good folks at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. Thanks for any comment.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Glo-Bug.

Sculpin (green)

Moorish Mice

Filet-O'-Flesh

Off the top of my noggin'.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Like hippie said, flesh would be a good choice. Stones, princes, maybe a caddis pupa, leeches in all colors, buggers, pheasant tails, anything beadhead. Dries-caddis, PMDs, BWOs, parachute adams, parachute hairs ear, midges. Are you gonna be mostly swinging streamers or you gonna give it the hole fly box?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Typically I will swing 75% of the time, dead drift 15% of the time, and just chew tobacco and ponder life the other 10%.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Squidros- Olive/Black, Olive/white, Black/Orange, white/orange, purple/pink, pink/purple
    Lllamas-Olive/black, olive/white, black/pink,white/pink(flesh), purple/pink, chartruese/black, chartruese/white, chartruese/pink
    ESLs- Black, Purple, white, articulated & non articulated, or try pegging a bead above a regular black leech
    MOALs-Black, Olive, White
    Sculpins-Olive, Black
    Mice- Foam bottomed, hair or fur.
    Wogs-Pink, Black

Then there are nymphs and dries like raptor suggests.

OH-- and flesh.

illiamna pinkie and nothing else
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sculpins---------and flesh, smaller is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    illiamna pinkie and nothing else

Thanks man.

I was going to carry a fly box full of stuff.

Now all I need is a TicTac container.

Sweet

-Dan

Articulated Flesh Fly, but unfortunately dead drifted not swung is the ticket.

Choker for dead-drifting, happy meal for swinging. I have had some CRUSHER days on the upper swinging a fleshy-pink happy meal .

Every year I fish the upper I end up swinging for a portion of each day, usually on long flats where I can boom out big flesh to see who wants to play. It is pretty cool to watch tailout fish move 15' to hit a flesh fly when you KNOW they won't move more than a foot to eat an egg.

Have some sculpins to swing as well...Hickman's ESSS is a pretty badass number to throw, but also have something a bit smaller, like a sculpzilla.

What's a Happy Meal? Other than the kind you get at McDonald's.

I have best luck with orange or flesh colored flesh flies...not articulated, and swung. Battle creek is a good back up. Ask bowdy15 about cotton candy, never used then there but he slays fish with them every were I have seen him use them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fcd212272dfd9abb6c2bc724ab60c361.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	51506
    Mossyhorn This is a happy meal.

Corndogs work too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

and this after you get me hooked on all those beads...

I will say it has made teaching my daughter how to use a fly rod much easier. All she has to learn is how to make a half decent roll cast and so far she is doing great and I haven't blown a gasket trying to get her to "feel" a double haul!

What's that place that has the good corndogs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1832-1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	51509
    Chuck, Hard to believe but I looked it up and this fly is called a corndog.
    Sc20, The place to get corndogs in copper landing is called Wildmans.Better get there before Dan does.

Thanks for the fly suggestions guys.

10-4 on the happy meal G-Smolt.

And thanks to the smart*** for the laugh.

Yep, Wildman has some fine corn dogs, no doubt about it.

South Carolina, I will fish beads hard on the float rod, but I hate fly fishing with them. The centerpin setup is far more suited to fishing beads in my opinion. When I put a fly rod in my hand, I want a fly on it. Simple as that. No right or wrong way to fish despite what many others would love to tell you. Thinking outside the box can be very productive and if nothing else, fun. Which is of course the whole point after all.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I hate fly fishing with them.
    -Dan
    You absolutely hate it? Heck fishing for blue gills w/ cigarette butts is still better than not fishing at all. I didn't think there was anything about fishing that I could honestly say I hate....I just learned about beads last year and I personally dig em

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I am at the stage in my fishing where I want to catch a fish the way I want to catch it. That outweighs numbers and sizes of fish for me personally. I don't enjoy fishing beads on a fly rod. I don't do things I don't enjoy. Neither should anyone else. Preferences in fishing are very personal for folks that think about it. As I said, there is no wrong or right way, just different approaches. Far too many people just do what others do in my opinion. Tried it myself and found it very unrewarding.

Dan it sounds to me like you need to finally pick up a fly vice and start twisting your own. That my friend really will make you feel good about your hook ups.Nothing like knowing you made the fly that tricked the trout.Its really not that hard to do and think you would enjoy it so much once you started.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast