Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection

Default Hearing Protection

After an incident involving a double charged round while hunting last year, I am particularly concerned with my hearing and keeping it until I'm old enough to get a 10 percent discount at Freddies. I am very good about using protection at the range but find it limiting in the field. What do you folks use while hunting to protect your ears. I've looked at everything from cotton balls to electronic ear muffs but still don't have any answers as to pro's, cons etc.....when and where do you prefer different kinds of hearing protection....i.e. duck hunting vs big game vs plinking vs bowhunting
    Muchos on the Grassass

Default Ear Plug

One of the better ear plugs I've seen and used.
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 06-18-2007 at 14:45.

Default ?

Why the double end....is that for really small duck blinds so you can share with your partner....if so, the color coding should help for ear wax sharing

But seriously, why the double.

Try these sonic earplugs. Lets you hear normally until you fire and the sound wave closes the plugs before the sound damages your ear. May not be the perfect solution but they do help in a hunting situation.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...801&hasJS=true

Default Game ear

I use a Walkers Game ear. The in the ear type. They act as amplifiers and when you shoot they shut off to block sounds that could damage your hearing. Also makes it easier to hear that bull grunting from far off. You can wear them while you hunt and not have to fumble trying to put them in before you shoot.

Steve

Default muffs

I started shoppin around after using a friend's walker muffs last trap season....anybody got any experience with these or other models, seem to be a lot of companies with a wide range of prices....I'm hoping to get something I can use on the boat (tiller/outboard) and in the duck blind....(loud place) but ideally for big game too (but I guess plugs on a string would suffice for this minimal shooting scenario.)

Exclamation Whatever you do

DO NOT USE COTTONBALLS!!! I don't know if you have tried or are suggesting you try, but whatever the case is you should shy away from it. For many years cottonballs were used to dampen sound in factories and some years later it was found that they were doing more harm than good. The fibers from the cotton made their way into the eardrum and collectively voided out the ears ability to recognize the vibrations of the sound waves.

I do not own, but I have used the eletronic muff style walker's game ear and they are quite impressive at the range, but would not want to use them in the field. I use regular earplugs now...when I remember.

Default Game Ear

I have used the Walkers game ear a good bit bowhunting in the lower 48. I lost them unfortunatly but, I have hear good things about their sond dampening. I think it would be your best bet.

Haven't made a habit of cottonball use but have used anything at hand when i forget on the way to the range. (stuffing from a frayed jacket has been a popular back up, or a strip of cotton t shirt) That's my issue too with remembering with regualr ear plugs, I am hoping that with the muff kind of thing, that I can hear well enough before but not ring my bell after the shot, so there will be nothing to remember....I'll already have them on or in depending on the style I choose.

BUt, cottonballs are certainly off the list now.

Default Combat Ear Plugs - the double end story

Yellow - contant weapons fire
    Green - vehicle noise, (in my terms: when hunting, occasional shot)

http://www.hooah4health.com/environm...Walletcard.pdf

Default Combat Ear Plugs

BTW you won't find them in a fashion show.

Default Game Ear

This is the one I use, I had a custom ear piece made at a hearing aid place. Works nice, pricey, but what is your hearing worth??? If you got a buddy shooting a break OMG, they will make your ears bleed!!!

http://www.walkersgameear.com/digital.asp
    Steve

Default Bloody Hell

Almost $500 for the Walker, my hearing is worth that, but my convenience isn't. I'd miss a chance at half the ducks in the world using regular plugs before I'd drop that amount of cash, YIKES. But that said, thanks for the suggestion....I'm sure it's a great product but I'm not there fiscally yet.

Well, let's limit all further suggestions to 200 bucks or less.... .....I don't think my gun even cost that much....so let's look for suggestions somewhere between cottonballs and Walkers digital game ear....

But, in the end what I really want to hear is that the ones on sale at Cabelas for 69 dollars are just the ticket.......anyone?

Thanks for all replies so far.

Thumbs up

$200 or less, look at the sordin electronic ear muffs. very good product, several different models in various price ranges. allows you to hear range commands and hold conversations while still being protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Almost $500 for the Walker, my hearing is worth that, but my convenience isn't. I'd miss a chance at half the ducks in the world using regular plugs before I'd drop that amount of cash, YIKES. But that said, thanks for the suggestion....I'm sure it's a great product but I'm not there fiscally yet.

Well, let's limit all further suggestions to 200 bucks or less.... .....I don't think my gun even cost that much....so let's look for suggestions somewhere between cottonballs and Walkers digital game ear....

But, in the end what I really want to hear is that the ones on sale at Cabelas for 69 dollars are just the ticket.......anyone?

Thanks for all replies so far.
    You could always use a set of Peltor tactical 6S ear muffs. They stop greater than 86-decibel noises within a couple of milliseconds, but amplify all sounds below unsafe levels. It should cost around $65.00 at the Sportsman Warehouse, Cabela's, etc., and best of all, keep your ears warm in cool weather. I have been using mine while hunting for over eight years.

Default Don't have a heart attack!!!!!

Okay, I was just showing you thier page try these 39 bucks each. Still have some bucks to blast them ducks. LOL
    http://www.walkersgameear.com/Ultra.asp

It get's even better. The same thing for $18.00 each!!

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ulearbea.html

I think I'll order mine soon.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking Twice as much bucks!!!!

Cool, that leaves him with twice as much bucks to blast them ducks!!! LOL

Default Now we're talkin

Those cheapie walkers look like a good way to try it without having to sell my firstborn......if I had one.

I'll research the muff suggestions as well

Thanks guys.

One of my biggest concerns is duck hunting. At the end of a good day without plugs I'm hurtin and with plugs....there are less feathers at my feet. Have any of you folks used the muff style ones in the field....what are the pros cons etc.

Angry only concern..

I haven't used the hearing enhancement type in the field, but I have used regular muffs and I the only suggestion I have is that you get a slim-line pair. I used a bulky pair once while hunting birds and it left my nice wooden stock full of nice small dents! Only nice shotgun I have/had!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast