Thread: The potato

Default The potato

Anybody figure out why somtimes you can be satisfied with one baked potato at a meal, but takes servel to make fried, or mashed to do the same thing?

I hate pealing the things.

That's a good question! Not to hijack your thread Rock Skipper, but anybody have any tips on how to store our great Alaskan spuds? No matter what I do, they just don't stay good for very long. If only I had a root cellar!

Default taters

Rock,

Don't peel them, the skin is the best tasting and best-for-you part of the whole thing, no matter how you prepare them after that. Just scrub'm up, whittle out the pad parts, and you're done, prep-wise.

A long time ago, a very old man showed me a very very deep hole next to his dad's old cabin that he said he stored his family's potatoes in when he was a kid (so, doing the math, that was close to a century ago now) - he said they'd last all winter. If I knew more about it that I'd tell ya; sorry.

To store spuds, allow them to dry a week or so while spread out on newspaper. Do not wash them, just brush off the excess dirt once they "toughen" in the open air. Then store in burlap bag somewhere cool, dark, and dry. (Our crawlspace under the house is where ours go). Took me a couple years of trial and error to figure this out but now spuds last till spring stored in this manner.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    That's a good question! Not to hijack your thread Rock Skipper, but anybody have any tips on how to store our great Alaskan spuds? No matter what I do, they just don't stay good for very long. If only I had a root cellar!
    Yup, the key is a good root cellar! We made ours as we built the cabin... about 4'X4' framed hole in the ground with a stout door that opens up from the kitchen floor. Since we don't have a fridge it is a must! Some years when it gets too full, I've done the burlap bags in a dark, cool place too, but those must be eaten before the ones in the root cellar as they just do not last all winter.

I couldn't do without my root cellar!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley