Thread: Credit Card Info Stolen at a gas station

Exclamation Credit Card Info Stolen at a gas station

Heads up, all. I'm on the road, again.

Wife and I drove through a 'berg in OR the other night, and bought some gas with the cc. I got out of the car to stretch the legs and noticed the attendant (no self serve here) with his back to me doing something with what I thought was his cell phone. Didn't think anything of it.

Couldn't use the card last night at another gas station, so I figured it was the cc thing that happens sometimes when I'm on the road and the cc co. wonders why.

Got a fraud alert call from the cc co today. Within the hour of the gas purchase, somebody used my card to spend $50 on iTunes, then got declined for a $40 purchase and then declined again for a $30 purchase.

Had to cancel the card, and I'm still a long way from home.

Just FYI

~tr

I might be giving the little puke too much credit (pardon the pun) for intelligence, but targeting your out of town card lowers the liklehood he will cross paths with you again.... You are planning on stopping in there again on your way home tho, aren't you?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

why do only dippers, me and hippie get to be privy to this scoundrel? You should post it in the global discussion thread

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Call the cops so they can put a sting on the guy. Never let your ccard out of sight. It actually pains me to go eat at a restraunt. They always want to take your card away to run it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Call the cops so they can put a sting on the guy.
    Roger that, been done. Don't know if the kid had a scanner or just took a picture with his phone.

Also, FB, posted same on Global.

~tr

That sucks. Someone stole my wife's entire purse from Carl's Jr., so I feel your pain and anger.

I'm assuming the CC company isn't going to make you foot the bill. Also, not to minimize it or anything, but at least it he didn't go order a $3000 plasma TV on the net or something...

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    ...at least it he didn't go order a $3000 plasma TV on the net...
    Yeah like I have that much credit...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    I don't have anything to worry about. I don't even have any credit cards anymore. Can't get much less credit than that.

Default the silver lining

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Ah... look at the bright side: "A poor man has nothing to fear from a thief"

Hopefully you also had them reverse the charge at iTunes! That's the nice thing about credit cards (vs debt cards) is that you're protected from fraud. They may be able to track the owner of the iTunes account that the credit purchased to. So make sure to file a police report.

Oregon. The state where it's assisted suicide is legal, but they don't let you pump your own gas. Talk about unions power gone totally corrupted. Yes, it is illegal for the public to operate a gas pump.

However, gas pumpers are getting minimum wage and if you pay attention, you'll see that they are mostly "immigrants" from south of the border.

When buying gas in Oregon, always get out of the car. Hand the guy the card so he can swipe it through the card reader on the front of the gas pump and hold your hand out to get the card back immediately.

Restaurants... never put your card on the table. Let the check sit and take it up to the register to pay as you leave.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I don't have anything to worry about. I don't even have any credit cards anymore. Can't get much less credit than that.
    Same here. If I cannot pay cash, I do not need it. Makes life much easier.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

So you know, you can pump your own Diesel there.

Need some $$$$$???? I'll wire it if need be!!!! thewhop
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?