Thread: 338-06?

Default 338-06?

I just horse traded a long barreled 35 whelen that I hadn't shot in years. The guy who has it now cut the barrel back to 18 1/2 inches refinished the stock and mounted a scout style scope out in front of the action. I really like how it looks and handles, so I figured I would make one similiar to it in a 338-06. My question is, is the 338-06 and the 338-06 A-Square the same thing?

The #4 Nosler manual calls it the .338-06. The #5 Nosler manual calls it the .338-06 A-Square. The drawings and dimensions are identical.

I've had one since '97 or '98, and I like it. It shoots exceptionally well, and is much easier on the shoulder than the .338 Win Mag. I've only had the opportunity to get a black bear with it, but it certainly did the job. I will not hesitate to take it moose hunting.

Default 338-06

Short answer ...yes. But, before A-Square standardized it thru SAAMI there were any number of versions out there. I'm sure because of that, some older chamber reamers marked 338-06 had all manner of dimensions and shoulder angles. Now the standard is 338-06 A-Square. The headstamped brass currently made by Norma and sold with Weatherby markings among others?? is 338-06 A-Square. If you have a chamber reamed for 338-06 make sure the reamer has the current standard 338-06 A-Square specs. Then there won't be a problem loading the current brass or, at a minimum, a need to fireform another batch to get correct chamber fit. BTW- the 338-06 is a very easy cartridge to load for and an excellent performer. It doesn't suffer from the variable headspace problems the 35 Whelen can have- where the better 35 Whelen is the Ackley improved form.

George is right on regarding the .338 X 06. For years I used the 35 Whelan in rifle and handgun. I became dissatisfied with bullet performance in the 180 and 200 grain bullets at hangun velocities and switched to the 338 X 06 when Nosler came out with the 180 grain Accubond. For my handgun it was just the ticket and haven't looked back. Currently have three and building a fourth in my own chambering for the handgun. With a rim.

Neal

An interesting thing about the .338-'06, it is extremely similar to the .318 Westley-Richards which had a great reputation in Africa back in the day. Long heavy bullets at moderate velocity gave it great penetration qualities.

You know about 10 years ago I had a chance to buy a .318 W-R for $1,700.00. What a fool am I.

Default great round

I hope to get a .338-'06 someday.

Long neck for good high tension to prevent set back and provide good surface area for waterproofing compounds.

Don't be afraid to try the 275-300 grainers for close bear/moose and let us know about the autopsy.

You'll be happy with the field results.

Great that A-square legitimized it with SAAMI and now Weatherby loads and chambers it too.

That should do wonders for ammo availability and costs in the future.

I just hope Federal loads it soon and dosent feel too threatened for the .338 federal.

jedi

I have a couple of Chuck Daly Mauser actions one of which is going to be built into the AI version.
    Now what ?

Default good

I figured they were the same, but wanted to make sure. When I start on the project I'll be sure to have my gunsmith use the a-square reamer. I've been thinking about putting an 18 1/2" barrel on it. Anybody heard if there is a bad barrel length for 338 bullets. I also thought it would be pretty sweet to shoot 250 grain round nose bullets out of it. Oh, and i'll be using a Rem 700 action and am thinking about leaving the glass off of it and going with some express sights.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I just horse traded a long barreled 35 whelen that I hadn't shot in years. The guy who has it now cut the barrel back to 18 1/2 inches refinished the stock and mounted a scout style scope out in front of the action. I really like how it looks and handles, so I figured I would make one similiar to it in a 338-06......
    Here's your model. It's a 1943 German Mauser that had all matching numbers. A 20" stainless Shilen sporter barrel was installed in 30-06 into a Bell & Carlson composite stock with a Timney trigger. An original German winter trigger guard was installed. That's a Burris 2 3/4x Scout Scope, which was brought over from the retired 30-06 this rifle replaced. Ashley Outdoors backup ghost ring sights. Pachmyer Decelerator. Ching sling. Robar Polymax finish. With the forward mounted scope this rifle can be loaded with stripper clips.

40" overall length, weighs a tad over 7 lbs.

My goal is to have Cliff LaBounty bore it out to 338-06.

I call her "Fraulein".
    Attached Images Attached Images

What I don't understand is,why isn't it more popular.I mean the last time I recall it being chambered was when Weatherby did it(2003 I think?) in the Ultra lightweight series.
    Now with the introduction of the new 338Federal,surely it surface again soon .I bet allot rides on how the Fed fares hey.

Default 338-06 popularity

Didn't gain great popularity probably because when the large numbers/choices of good 338 bullets became available the 338 Win Mag had all the bells, whistles and promotion including the "Magnum" belt. No mattter how good a cartridge design is some just fade into history like the 9.3 X 64. Wildcatters have been building cartridges around the 30-06 for decades including the variations of the 338-06. It takes big manufacturers with money to promote any cartridge- the choice was easily the 338 Win Mag. If prospective buyers were looking for the magnum mystique, they probably would have just looked right past any wildcat based on the 30-06... the 338 Mag fulfilled that demand and the marketing gurus knew it. The 404 J. could be another whole discussion on potentially great parent cartridges. There are dozens or maybe even hundreds of wildcat cartridges out there that are truly fine performers that will never see the light of day. Also, timing and luck play a part in addition to any promotion.

Thumbs up RE:Mark

Nice rifle Mark, I'm jealous. My ex 35 whelen just received a remington factory black synthetic stock, its pretty sexy. I hate to say it but it will probably be a while before I get mine made. I'm in the process of relocating, so I am pretty busy with other stuff right now.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    ....I hate to say it but it will probably be a while before I get mine made. I'm in the process of relocating, so I am pretty busy with other stuff right now.
    Don't feel bad. I'm beginning to realize that I won't get Fraulein bored to 338-06, get loads worked up and sighted in, etc in time for this fall. I'll have to carry the .338 WinMag again. Too busy. Got a daughter getting married, lots of family coming to Alaska for the summer, landscaping I've gotta do in order to stay married, junk pile to disappear, ...........................................

I wish folks would let me focus on the priorities..................