Thread: Polaris 6x6 brake problem.

Default Polaris 6x6 brake problem.

On my 05 6x6 when I go down a hill I can not stop even if I am going slow. On flat ground it appears I do have good brakes. I bleed the right and left side and it seams to help the left side (front brake). The left side hand brake moves inch before stopping (hand brake will not move any more). The right side (back brake) moves inch and is still spongy, I have bleed the right side 5 times, with no change.

Can you stop going down hill?
    Would you measure the travel distance of the right and left side and tell me what it is? Is the right side spongy?

anybody has a 6x6?

I just bought one. It has almost exactly the same problem. I just changed the RH Master Cylinder. It is a lot better, but not great. It has new pads too.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Is there a brake cylinder repair kit or did you have to replace the whole brake unit?
    I also read in the service manual there is a soft and hard brake pads available do you know witch ones you have?

Perhaps a poor gasket on cylinder allowing moisture into the system?

I thought about that and bled several bows full of brake fluid threw the rear brake and it made no difference.

Mine were spongy. The fluid appeared contaminated or at least very old and colored. I put 3 pints of new fluid through the lines/calipers. Tried normal bleeding, vacuum bleeding and pressure bleeding. Nothing worked. I replace the entire RH master cylinder. I got spongy after just a couple minutes. It got better... to the point that I will ride it. I would like it to be a bit better. I have 2 calipers on one disk both with a bleeder and a bleeder at the junction of the 2 lines.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Why is your font so danged small!
    Bill Hicks

If i remember right,The left side handle engages all the brakes front and back, Thats where the lever is under neath handle to hold machine in place on a hill..I back straight down hill to my boat, set brake load up and go up from there very steep hill left side i will drag the front tires on the way down..then add the right handle to keep it smooth til i stop.The right side is for the disk, by your right foot by your heel..depends what yr, i see now you said 05 i have o6 haven,t done brakes on it yet, But have had 93- 95-and 96. I think that connected to tranny shaft, And the other is big disk mid shaft front rear axle... No? There is a bleeder there...If put new pads on and bleed it it should be just like left side..Now we took off cylinder bench bleed it first, re install, then we use that vacume pump thing to bleed the rest out to the other bleeders. farther first. worked pretty slick, We tried all moose hunting to bleed that thing with out and never did get it to work until trip to town and buy vac. pump thing, good investment for that system.1/2 hr later we where running..

I never got to find out if I fixed my brakes until I was able to take it down a hill. It turns out there was a rock in the brakes so all it took was cleaning them and they did need bleeding, everything is working correctly. When I now go down a steep hill I can lock the brakes and the 6x6 will slide down on the loose rocks.

I have an engine braking system on my 04 6x6 and it will almost stop me on a down hill with out touching the brakes...On a side note when its cold you need to watch that the plunger on the brakes doesnt freeze in the "brake" position at night or when you have the parking brake on. I learned this the hard way with a small fire and a $600 repair bill.