Thread: Beavertail pods

Default Beavertail pods

Well I finally got them took going to get them put on my alweld, They are the medium pods, on my 18/52 alweld we will see if they help performance and payload

Let us know as soon as you can, I am about to put some on mine ----- I think.
    BLW

They should. Helped me by about 2.5" less draft while at rest. Not as much bow lift upon take off and more stability are other side effects. 1652 G3

That's just about the same I got with my SeaArk pods on my MVJT 1652...although now it seems like I need to lower my motor one set of holes...not quite as much bite from the prop when trimming things out while on step ant it looks like the cavitation plate is a touch high...otherwise I am impressed enough that I can't imagine having a jon boat without pods ever again.

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Well got them welded on and she is primed and ready to go, just waiting for a day off to try them out, will post pics and results

They help a lot on the draft and load capacity of a boat with the best improvement coming on 14-17 footers. You'll find however that your boat now doesn't corner as fast; And you may need to tweak your engine hieght.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Well took it out on the chena yesterday, boat jumps right on step, your right about the cornering a little sluggish, but i cruise on step at about 4300 rpms, it was 4700 rpms before i had pods installed,
    I did notice i do have a little bit of water that blows back over transom, but i will not put a load on it until this weekend so we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Well took it out on the chena yesterday, boat jumps right on step, your right about the cornering a little sluggish, but i cruise on step at about 4300 rpms, it was 4700 rpms before i had pods installed,
    I did notice i do have a little bit of water that blows back over transom, but i will not put a load on it until this weekend so we shall see
    I am retarded I couldnt figure why i was getting water spray up over my transom, looked and looked, at home i was greasing my bearing and bam, i put the freaking jet foot on backwards and it was causing a huge drag, i felt like a moron. just goes to show you was 2 babies and doing boat work causes you to not pay attention.
    boats good now runs like a champ

Take a picture and post it. I've never seen a jet foot on backwards. You may also need to adjust your transom angle if you don't have a power trim.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

already put it on correctly, wow what alot of drag it cause hahahahahah, i have power trim and I am sure with a load i will not need to adjust engine height. will take some pics universal welding did a great jobheaded out to moose hunt for 8 days and will put a full report on performance with pics upon my return

Wasn't really talking about the heighth as much as the angle at which the motor is set, yours uses a power trim mine boat doesn't
    have power trim just a mechanical adjustment. Since the boat rides flatter this usually requires an adjustment to reduce the angle of attack of the motor.

The final vote is in I invested a total of 800 bucks for the pods and the welding, they are worth every penny, I loaded down the boat a full 8 day moose camp, 35 gallons of gas and 3 men, boat launched onto step and performed flawlessly. 4800 rpm on step fully loaded, burned approx 5 gallons an hour with the full load. they really helped when we floated out of camp along the extemely shallow portions of our trip the boat stayed level and barely dragged the bottom. a great investment

Would love to see a photo when you get a chance, I ended up using a piece of rubber over the top of the tunnel and down each side. The area between the pod and the tunnel is filled in solid so it really holds the water in. I have found I can run the front lip of the jet foot almost a inch above the top of the tunnel w/o any cavitation. I als installed a power lift so can play with the foot height a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    The final vote is in I invested a total of 800 bucks for the pods and the welding, they are worth every penny, I loaded down the boat a full 8 day moose camp, 35 gallons of gas and 3 men, boat launched onto step and performed flawlessly. 4800 rpm on step fully loaded, burned approx 5 gallons an hour with the full load. they really helped when we floated out of camp along the extemely shallow portions of our trip the boat stayed level and barely dragged the bottom. a great investment
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I rolled with Wiso 67 to Moose Camp and have to say I really liked the added performance of the pods as well. They definately helped the boat get on step quicker, and allowed three guys with our 8 days worth of creature comforts for moose hunting to be hauled in one trip. They basically eliminate the weight of the engine (Yamaha 70 Jet), and serve as awsome steps while getting into the boat from the rear after "customizing" beaver dams or reducing other types of river hazards. Experienced no issues with the trim, as he has power trim, and the engine runs fine at the stock height, no adjustments needed there either. I think it provides some added protection to the lower end as it basically surrounds the jet on two sides along with the boat on the front. Here is where we differ: I still think as opposed to filling them with foam, Wiso should have turned them into beer coolers or atleast dry storage! They are good sized, and come hollow, so if done right, you could definately store quite a bit of stuff in them. I hate to see good space in a boat go to waste, so I say use that additional space afforded to your advantage. Ever heard of external fuel tanks???? Hmmmmmmm Let imagination be the limit on this one...... Thanks again Wiso for yet another awsome moose hunt! Looking forward to the next.......... Never a dull moment with you around!!!!!!!!(I.E. Jet foot on backasswards!!!!)LOL!!!! your a trip!....... later man
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"