Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Hunting In Alaska?

Default Canadian Hunting In Alaska?

Is it possible for a Canadian to hunt in Alaska with an Alaska resident as a host? (Not with an Outfitter)
    In Alberta, I can host 2 non residents per year.

A large part of the answer would depend upon what you are hunting for.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Sheep or Caribou

Default Check a little thing called the Alaska Hunting Regs.

I had a serious question about driving on Alaska roads the other day and what I was authorized to use my vehicles for on state roads. You'll never guess where I found the answer. The states DMV office. I was going to go on a blog and ask everyone that's familiar with the regulations. But after second thought I went directly to the governing body that had jurisdiction over my matter. Wonder how I thought of that?
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    I had a serious question about driving on Alaska roads the other day and what I was authorized to use my vehicles for on state roads. You'll never guess where I found the answer. The states DMV office. I was going to go on a blog and ask everyone that's familiar with the regulations. But after second thought I went directly to the governing body that had jurisdiction over my matter. Wonder how I thought of that?
    Thanks! That's a great story.

I did look in the reg's and found that I do need to go with a guide, however I don't know if the guide needs to be employed by an outfitter or can any Alaskan become a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by hawken View Post
    can any Alaskan become a guide.
    Sadly, anyone can become and Alaskan Guide. If you DO go with a guide, you run a real chance of that person not residing IN Alaska.

There ARE some awesome guides on this forum who are Alaskans.

Hopefully they can chime in.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    Thanks! That's a great story.

Only a Canadian would have replied so politely to that comment

Now go do what Snowman tried to tell you and contact ADFG.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Not that subtle huh?
    From what I've read about apprenticing for being a guide then getting into the business it doesn’t sound like any old Alaskan can just go out and be a guide. Then there are the years of experience and the business and trust to build up. I know it's not always true but you hope your guide is an avid outdoorsman and fair chase advocate that most sportsmen are. If not you don’t use him again
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

I was hoping to find an Alaskan that might want to hunt in Alberta for free with me and that I could hunt with in Alaska.
    I will check with the Alaska wildlife guys on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Sadly, anyone can become and Alaskan Guide.
    Sadly, the state of Alaska HAS to honor the US Constitution. Sadly, no US state can pass laws forbidding non residents to work in their state. Sadly, even Hippie can move to another state (if any of them would have him) and get work there.
    Perhaps in a happier future, we will all be stuck to living and working in the state we are born in and those pesky strangers from other states will never move to ours! Maybe some day we can even keep people from other COUNTRIES from coming to the US!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So I reads the title and I thinks "We can hunt Canadians now?"
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Perhaps in a happier future, we will all be stuck to living and working in the state we are born in and those pesky strangers from other states will never move to ours!

If that were the case, 90% of you goobers wouldn't be up there yourselves.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    If that were the case, 90% of you goobers wouldn't be up there yourselves.
    Hey!, who are you calling a 90 percent goober?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Whom ever replies

By the way, nice quote in your signature...

Facts can be very inconvenient when they don't agree with you. -twodux

Kidding.

Before any of you "real Alaskan" transplants get fired up, let me apologize.

Just poking fun and making a point at the same time.

I understand more than most "pesky" lower 48's why you are proud to be up in Alaska.

Going to bed and don't want to wake up tomorrow and see everyone's panties in a wad

-Dan

Sadly, the state of Alaska HAS to honor the US Constitution. Sadly, no US state can pass laws forbidding non residents to work in their state. Sadly, even Hippie can move to another state (if any of them would have him) and get work there.
    Perhaps in a happier future, we will all be stuck to living and working in the state we are born in and those pesky strangers from other states will never move to ours! Maybe some day we can even keep people from other COUNTRIES from coming to the US!
    Must...spread...rep...around...

Is it possible for a Canadian to hunt in Alaska with an Alaska resident as a host? (Not with an Outfitter)
    In Alberta, I can host 2 non residents per year.
    I think they have to be an official guide. It ends up being prohibitively expensive as a non-resident alien, which you would be. Plus, non-resident alien hunting licences are super expensive. If it's worth it to you, then welcome! I moved up from Calgary 3 years ago myself... whereabouts are you from?

Sadly, the state of Alaska HAS to honor the US Constitution.
    Sorry to see you're so opposed to the Constitution, MT. Luckily since you live in Nome, a boat trip across the Bering might land you in a Country more on par with your belief system.

Sadly, no US state can pass laws forbidding non residents to work in their state.
    Realistically, US States (The word State is capitalized there Mikey, perhaps your distaste for the Constitution has bled over to disrespect for States and their status. Or perhaps you're just chip-board ignorant), while unable to forbid non-residents from working there as guides, can -and should- charge a much higher fee for licensing said carpetbaggers.

Sadly, even Hippie can move to another state (if any of them would have him) and get work there.
    As much as it chaps your @ss, I am from here, and am not goin' anywhere.
    Perhaps in a happier future, we will all be stuck to living and working in the state we are born in and those pesky strangers from other states will never move to ours!
    Well, if/when your dream becomes a reality, I'll help you pack for the return South....

Maybe some day we can even keep people from other COUNTRIES from coming to the US!
    Probably something most Native Americans hope for on a daily basis.

I guess folks who aren't from here don't have the same pride in being an Alaskan that a great many of us from here share. Hence they have no reservations about those who tote the title of an "Alaskan Guide" when there permanent address reveals this to be false, being allowed to carry out the facade.....

Maybe some day we can even keep people from other COUNTRIES from coming to the US!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Probably something most Native Americans hope for on a daily basis.

I smiled like a queer in a pecker tree when I read that one

Quote of the day Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    I think they have to be an official guide. It ends up being prohibitively expensive as a non-resident alien, which you would be. Plus, non-resident alien hunting licences are super expensive. If it's worth it to you, then welcome! I moved up from Calgary 3 years ago myself... whereabouts are you from?
    Thanks for your reply, I'm from Calgary too.
    Why did the only serious reply come from a Canadian?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast