Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingfisher 2825 with twin Honda 150 - stainless prop questions

Default Kingfisher 2825 with twin Honda 150 - stainless prop questions

Im considering stainless props for my 2825 Kingfisher. I run twin Honda 150's and was wondering if any body else has the same set up with stainless props. What brand do you run, what pitch and is it worth the money. I spend a fair amount of time in the sound and go for several days. So I load pretty heavy, lots of fuel, water, food. etc

Any help would be appreciated.

my last boat was a 24' aluminum.when I switched from aluminum props to stainless I gained 9 knots in speed and got out of the hole way quicker.There is a world of difference in aluminum and stainless.

Do you stick with the same pitch when making the transition? I run a Kingfisher 2525 with a 15x17 pitch and get about 2.7 miles to the gallon, although I am a little low on top rpms at about 5500, but well within operating manaul requirements. I am with Whatablast - would also like to change but not sure what pitch. Thanks.

there is a shop down the street from my house that sells nothing but props.It is called Tacoma propeller.I took them pics and told them the weight of the boat and they told me what prop I needed.They told me as long as I did not nick them I could return for a different pitch if I wanted but they were spot on the first time.

I have the same boat and motor combo as you do. My boat came with stainless props, one is a solas and one is Honda brand. Both are 3x14.5x15 and I can not remember which one Honda or solas is the counter rotating one. With these props with a full tank of fuel (160 gallons) full water, 4 adults, two kids and a 100 lb dog, ice, shirmp pots, raft...etc on board I can still red line the motors and bounce off the rpm limiter. The boat gets a max of about 2.4 mpg and runs 38 mph at 6000 rpm. I want to try different props but I am not willing, right now, to spend the $$ to figure out which ones. If you do re prop let me know what you get and how you do.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

JR2,

Sounds like you could use more prop. I can't compare apples to apples because I'm in a 2525 with a single Etec 250, but even loaded down I hit 40mph once I get a bit over 5000rpm. I max at about 5800. Since you are able to over rev and only top out at 38, I've gotta think you could use some more prop, which would likely help your fuel economy too.

Would work out nicely is whatablast hits the mark and shares his results.

Default Lets exchange some fuel data on these 2825

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have the same boat and motor combo as you do. My boat came with stainless props, one is a solas and one is Honda brand. Both are 3x14.5x15 and I can not remember which one Honda or solas is the counter rotating one. With these props with a full tank of fuel (160 gallons) full water, 4 adults, two kids and a 100 lb dog, ice, shirmp pots, raft...etc on board I can still red line the motors and bounce off the rpm limiter. The boat gets a max of about 2.4 mpg and runs 38 mph at 6000 rpm. I want to try different props but I am not willing, right now, to spend the $$ to figure out which ones. If you do re prop let me know what you get and how you do. <br>
    <br>
    John
    <br><br>Can you share your performance data? I like to know at what RPM and Speed you are getting 2.4 MPG.<br><br>I have 2007 Kingfisher 2825 with Twin BF150's and I use SS 4 blade 14.5x15. I estimate my boat to weight about 9.5K to 10K lbs when fully loaded for weekend trip.<br>Here is my data for my prop's<br><br><br>RPM &nbsp; Speed GPH &nbsp; MPG<br>1500 &nbsp;6-7 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;3<br>2000 &nbsp;8-9 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2.75<br>4400 &nbsp;30 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;14-15 &nbsp;2.1<br>4800 &nbsp;35 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;17-18 &nbsp;2.0 (Sweet spot for me)<br>5500 &nbsp;42 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;25-27<br><br>Give me a call if you guys want to share some performance data's on our boats.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Luke<br><br>

Your data kind of got garbled a bit there but here is what I can tell you. If I run 4800-5000 rpm I am going 25-31 mph and getting 2.2-2.4 mpg. I don't look at the gph readings on my gauge because it makes me cry. I will say that you have to trim the boat out. I usually run my motors tipped up about 4 bars on the Honda gauge, it makes a huge difference. The guy in Whittier with the rental kingfisher told me the same thing about his boat. Its amazing how just a little tweak of the motor trim or trim tab can make a huge difference in the economy.

I would like to reprop the boat and try to get better numbers, but at with the cost of new props its not something I am going to do right now. Hoping that whatablast will get it done and find the perfect props... then I can copy him.

Its getting late this year, but we should have a kingfisher meet up somewhere next year. Would be fun to see 5-10 of us get together on the water and share stories.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have 2007 Kingfisher 2825 with Twin BF150's and I use SS 4 blade 14.25x17. I estimate my boat to weight about 9.5K to 10K lbs when fully loaded for weekend trip.

Here is my data for my prop's

RPM Speed GPH MPG
    1500 6-7 2 3
    2000 8-9 3 2.75
    4400 30 14-15 2.1
    4800 35 17-18 2.0 (Sweet spot for me)
    5500 42 25-27

PM me a call if you guys want to share some performance data's on our boats.
    Thanks

Luke

This is a little apples to oranges but this is what I have found with my BF 225 on my 2525. AMDS mounted the motor all the way down, which put it way too deep, and caused too much drag. I raised it two holes, and it made a world of difference, probably increased at least 1/2 mpg. It came stock with a 15 x 17 3-blade prop. It is now my spare, and it performed well. I tried a 14 X 17 4-blade, and it easily tached out. Traded it in for a 14.5 X 17 SS Honda prop, and will never look again. I am able to red-line (barely), have a little better hole-shot than the alum 15 X 17. I cruise 30 MPH at 4400 RPM and get just over 3 MPG (10 GPH), with a full load. If you watch your real-time fuel flow and GPS, you will be able to throttle and trim to find optimum.
    Soooo, what I've read about in the past, and with my own experience, if you switch to SS, and you are happy with your aluminum performance, just lower the diameter by 1/2" on the SS.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Everyone with the Kingfisher 2825 with twin 150's is always trying to get a better prop, whether it be for speed or out of the hole. I had the twin Honda 150's. I now have twin Yamaha 225's. I didn't have to mess with what pitch or the aluminum vs/stainless debate. With twin 150's the Kingfisher 2825 is under powered unless you are carrying a very light load.

Polardds what kind of mileage do you get with the 225's??

Quote Originally Posted by GOT TOYS View Post
    This is a little apples to oranges but this is what I have found with my BF 225 on my 2525. AMDS mounted the motor all the way down, which put it way too deep, and caused too much drag. I raised it two holes, and it made a world of difference, probably increased at least 1/2 mpg. It came stock with a 15 x 17 3-blade prop. It is now my spare, and it performed well. I tried a 14 X 17 4-blade, and it easily tached out. Traded it in for a 14.5 X 17 SS Honda prop, and will never look again. I am able to red-line (barely), have a little better hole-shot than the alum 15 X 17. I cruise 30 MPH at 4400 RPM and get just over 3 MPG (10 GPH), with a full load. If you watch your real-time fuel flow and GPS, you will be able to throttle and trim to find optimum.
    Soooo, what I've read about in the past, and with my own experience, if you switch to SS, and you are happy with your aluminum performance, just lower the diameter by 1/2" on the SS.
    I agree, proper mount first, then fine tune the prop.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Got toys what hole is your motor mounted in. I have the same setup as you except I run a 14.25x17 And a little slower around 25 Knots(28-29mph)

Jakim, I lied about the prop, it is 14 1/4" diameter. I'm in hole #2, one up from lowest. I thinks I lied about that too in my earlier post. Two holes up caused some ventilation (cavitation to some) when turning aggressively.
    It's been a few years back since I set it up, and I guess my memory stayed back there too. I sure am glad I went with the single instead of twins, knock on wood.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Great information and much appreciated. Jakim - what is your mpg on your 2525 with the 14.25 x 17? I would be delighted to get what Got Toys is getting - 3 mpg is excellent.

Whatablast,

My mileage depends on my power setting. I can eek out close to 2mpg if not heavily loaded and running 3700 rpm. Usually I run 4400 and get close to 1.5 mpg. One of my questions is what power setting is optimal for these big outboards? Should I be running two thirds or three quarters power for optimal engine life? I know I run my 30 hp honda at full throttle all day long and don't even think about it but have only run the big motors at full for a little while to make sure the props were not going to run the rpms up to high.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Whatablast,

My mileage depends on my power setting. I can eek out close to 2mpg if not heavily loaded and running 3700 rpm. Usually I run 4400 and get close to 1.5 mpg. One of my questions is what power setting is optimal for these big outboards? Should I be running two thirds or three quarters power for optimal engine life? I know I run my 30 hp honda at full throttle all day long and don't even think about it but have only run the big motors at full for a little while to make sure the props were not going to run the rpms up to high.
    I suspect that you will have a tough time wearing those outboards out. Don't hesitate to run those bad boys up to max RPM every trip. You need to make sure that you can hit the upper half of the RPM range and it will also burn off any carbon deposits. Just my nickle.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It always seems fuel is an issue when I'm in the sound so I'm generally looking for the best MPG. 4400 rpm gets me at best 2.2 mpg. Thats GPS and fuel flow information so I'm confident its pretty accurate. I'm generally happy with the performance (out of the hole and cruise) I was just considering SS props if there was any real benefits. Maybe I'll just stick with the Aluminum and be happy. Its my nature to keep tinkering, trying to improve performance, comfort, etc. so I can stay a little longer each trip. Bottom line I like my set up and really enjoy my boating experiences. Thanks to every one for their comments.

With my Wife and 3 kids and full of fuel (125 gal) I run about 25kn and burn about 9.8-10.2 GPH at 4500 RPM. That is wher I hold it at. At 4800 RPM it is 27 kn and 12.9 GPH. I am not sure what hole the outboard is mounted in but I am going to look and se if it is the same as Got Toys. Mine is a 2525 PRO series with a Honda 225.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast