Thread: hwescraft 20'-22' ocean pro or harbercraft discovery 22' ??

Default hwescraft 20'-22' ocean pro or harbercraft discovery 22' ??

I'm looking at both of these boats,is there a difference in quality? what about ability to handle in moderate waves?
    I am looking to use them in big lakes and also in haines for salmon and halibut around sullivan next year, also maybe running from skagway to hoonah for halibut.Only in good weather ofcourse!
    both look to be relatively inexpensive to run and trailer

thanks

I have a 22' Hewescraft Ocean Pro HT ET with a yamaha 150 and 8 horse kicker. I use it to troll for salmon, gillnet, fish for halibut, deer and elk hunt around Kodiak, Afognak, and Shuyak. I feel it is a perfect all around boat. Great in heavy seas, putting on the beach and ease of handling. I do not have any experience ith the discovery.

I used to have a Hewescraft OceanPro 220 and I live in Juneau. I looked at both the Harbercraft and the OceanPro and there was no question about which one to buy. The OceanPro was better in layout and assembly and bigger (higher sides) and better suited for our waters. Skagway to Hoonah is not recommended. Very steep seas in Northern Lynn Canal and afternoon blows in even fair weather. Suggest you take the Fast Ferry to Juneau and boat from there (probably a wash in costs too beacuse that Skagway to Juneau is a long ways.

So there you go. Get the OceanPro you won't be disappointed. I also recall the OceanPro had more "V" in the bow too.

Sobie2