Thread: KP Black Bears

Default KP Black Bears

Hey all. I'm looking for advice on spot and stalk black bear hunting on the Kenai Peninsula. My brother is visiting from MN and I would love to get him a bear since this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. I have only been out a few times for black bear in the past couple of years, and never this early in the year. I have found some good spots that have bear in september/october, but the bears are up high in the berries. We scouted yesterday and saw no bears up high. We did see tracks and scat down low though. Some of the scat had what looked like green devils club berries in it. Is that right? If so the bears are low I guess. Is it too early for the bears to be up high in the berries?

Does anyone have any advice on where to go on the KP? I usually concentrate my efforts near the snow river area, but the areas I have been going to are tough hunting, and consequently I have yet to harvest a bear myself and spend most of my time bush whacking and climbing. Although I did miss one last October after a grueling 8 hour climb where I lost my rangefinder and ended up overshooting the bear. Still getting used to judging distance in the mountains... it's A LOT harder than the cornfields I'm used to hunting.

I'm thinking about crescent lake, carter lake, or fuller lakes trails. I have been up fuller lakes hiking/fishing and have not seen any blackies but I've heard they're up there, and I have never been up the other two trails.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or have any advice to offer. Thanks guys.

p.s. we're heading out early next week for 3-4 days.

If you have time to do a scouting trip I would run up Skyline or similar and check the berries. The fish are in the streams heavy right now and I don't think the berries are out much yet. The places you listed are good. If you have a boat Cooper Lake ususally shows bears. Fuller Lakes is fine, but Skyline might give better access to the high country. Also check Hope and the hillsides around Tern Lake.

I have seen black bear prints in the trail to Crescent Lake before this time of year.

But by far the most black bear sign seen this year was on the Russian Lakes trail between Upper Russian lake and Lower Russian Lake. I counted 5 black bears near the trail and I wasn't even looking for them. About a mile or so past the Barber cabin will put you in a vantage point to overlook the country.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just finished packing for a half day of scouting tomorrow. After my sons football game in Anchorage we're gonna hit one of the trails. Probably skyline like tyrex suggested but russian river trail also has me interested now. I know the bears are all over down here, I guess we just have to pick a spot and get in there.

My 7 year old has talked me into letting him come along and I think it's about time he experiences the harvest of a big game animal. He can almost out hike me anyway, and I should be able to put at least a backstrap in his pack if we score.

Anyone else seeing bears on the Kenai Peninsula?

Whether Skyline

skyline.jpg

or Crescent
    crescentlake1.jpg

Or Russian lakes trail...have a great trip !

russianlakestrail2.jpg
    l
    russianlaketrail1.jpg

Whats the hunting restrictions on hunting bears around the russian lake trails?