Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My guide never showed today.

Default My guide never showed today.

I had booked a half-day fly fishing trip on the Kenai out of Cooper Landing a couple of weeks ago. I got up and went today. I got there early and I waited for 1 and a half hours and no one shows to take me out fishing. I called the number I had and of course got a recording. I decided to leave but saw a sign for the guide company ---------------and pulled in. There was three people from Virginia waiting too, for the same guide------------------- The lady who does the booking said he's usually on time. We phoned and texted and waited for another hour but decided to leave. I got a call a couple of hours later from someone else saying the guide had taken a trip that paid more instead of us. Then a few more hours later,------------ calls and says, sorry about the mix up you can get your money back.

I am ticked off. It took me three hours to drive there in the morning and another three home. Plus I sat and waited for three hours and all I get is sorry you can get your money back.

Isn't there something else I can do? Is there a place that you can complain about guides (besides here)? They have licenses right? Better Business Bureau? Or should I just take it and shut up?
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-06-2011 at 13:59.

I am ticked off. It took me three hours to drive there in the morning and another three home. Plus I sat and waited for three hours and all I get is sorry you can get your money back.

Isn't there something else I can do? Is there a place that you can complain about guides (besides here)? They have licenses right? Better Business Bureau? Or should I just take it and shut up?[/QUOTE]

Better business bureau is normally the route I use if they are a member. I would also file a complaint with the management of the establishment that hired him out. I would A) ask for my money back B) get another trip on the house and C) get my gas money paid for. That behavior is unacceptable. When you book an appt and money has already changed hands that is a contract period. If they fail to do this tell them your going to report them to the BBB if they are a member and express to them that you will spread the word of their poor service. Word of mouth means a lot to business' that dont publicly advertise.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-06-2011 at 14:00.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Seems like we have a few posts every summer about guides not showing up or blowing off clients. So what can you do? Well, the guides typically thrive off the tourists who they see once so if they piss off a few it doesn't do much to hurt their business. Sound like the guide is employed by an larger company or the company will book trips for him. Complaining to the guide probably won't get you anywhere but if you target the company you'll probably get more response. If you have a horrible waitress at a restaurant you typically don't complain to the waitress, you talk to the manager. Call and write the owner of the company who's employing the guide or making his bookings. Threatening to turn a company in to the Better Business Bureau carried more wait than turning in the guide himself.

Don't just shut up and take it! If the company starts seeing and hearing that they are getting bad press because of one of their guides, they'll be much more likely to leave him off the rehire list next summer. At least you weren't one of the guys from Virginia. If you show up two hours late to a business meeting with clients who flew in from out of state what do you think the consequences would be?

Run it up the flag pole to everyone you can so that hopefully you save someone the trouble in the future.

Bum guides are no different than having a bum contractors or bum car salesman. They need to be weeded out of the business.

I would take them to small claims court, and settle it there your time, gas, ect it is not cheap. Im not one that is sue sue sue for every little thing in fact I have never done that but my sister took some one who ripped her off like this and it worked out in the end. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was hoping people would say I shouldn't just take it. I've been accused of over reacting in the past. I'll be following up.

Or we can trash talk his (edited) daily on here so he never works up here again. Should we start a trash talk thread?
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-09-2011 at 21:02. Reason: language

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I would pitch a major (edited) about it for sure, starting with the ownership/management, that is completely unacceptable behaviour. Getting a free full day trip out of this would be the least I would want after the amount of time they waisted.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-09-2011 at 21:03. Reason: language

That sounds like bad business to me.....I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

There is a "Anglers Report" that is set up just to handle such comments to help other anglers looking. Works for both good and bad. Check out anglersreport.com or google anglers report.

From someone in the business, please except my appologies. Things like this hurts more than just the ones immediatly effected.

This web site is a good source for good and qualified guides. Don't hesitate to ask these guys are great...(Mostly ).

George

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Getting a free full day trip out of this would be the least I would want after the amount of time they waisted.
    He would be a no show again.
    Posting on here and other Alaska fishing forums should warn people. However, most people who don't usually do their homework before fishing don't come here. They just google fishing guide in Alaska, and think since the guides are in Alaska, they are the best. Which can be an upsetting reality when you run into a clown like this guide.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    He would be a no show again.
    Posting on here and other Alaska fishing forums should warn people. However, most people who don't usually do their homework before fishing don't come here. They just google fishing guide in Alaska, and think since the guides are in Alaska, they are the best. Which can be an upsetting reality when you run into a clown like this guide.
    That is directed at the company ownership assuming there is more than 1 person in the "company", be it a one man show the point would be moot. Perhaps we will get an update as to the "company" response later on.

Thanks George. I told him I was going to spread the word about him and he just laughed and go ahead.

That was exactly what I was thinking, even if he offered me another trip would I want to drive that far again with the chance he didn't show up?

-------------------- website shows that it's ------------- and another guy. -------------- is from Florida and I knew that. It should have been my first clue.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-06-2011 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Or we can trash talk his (edited) daily on here so he never works up here again. Should we start a trash talk thread?
    I like that idea. I said I'd spread the word and he laughed at me but I don't know what good it would do anyway. I already forgot the name of the guy people have been talking about on here recently from Cooper Landing that has taken people for thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-09-2011 at 21:04.

Sounds like a real dirtbag. I would take the time to visit and post your experience on some Florida and other fishing forums as well. the more negative exposure the better for someone who behaves in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Sounds like a real dirtbag. I would take the time to visit and post your experience on some Florida and other fishing forums as well. the more negative exposure the better for someone who behaves in this manner.
    Agreed. Type his name online as many times as possible. Now, I wouldnt be saying this if he actually felt remorse and tried to better the situation.
    But he just laughed at you...That really bugs me.
    I'd be typing his name and his company name all over the place.

do not book with-------------------------

See? Easy to remember.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-06-2011 at 14:37.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Find where he lives and post signs throughout his neighborhood warning everyone what a scandalous criminal he is. Run that scumbag back to whatever P.O.S city in the lesser 48 he orginated from.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Hey folks.

We have rules for talking smack about companies and when you signed up for being a member on this forum, you accepted the responsibility of the rules of this forum.
    We do not allow naming names in the negative in open forum.
    I removed the names of company and person in question from the thread.
    thank you all for keeping within the rules of our forum.
    Do you permit negative comments about individuals and businesses?

We do not permit negative comments about individuals, businesses or organizations. If a question is posted about a business, it is best to respond privately. The issue is one of liability for us. These forums are a public service, and we are unwilling to deal with the potential for litigation that could destroy our business. The easiest answer for us is "no negative comments." If you have had a bad experience, simply indicate that you have had experience with the company in question and invite people to contact you privately.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by etsirk View Post
    I got a call a couple of hours later from someone else saying the guide had taken a trip that paid more instead of us.

I am still trying to figure out who in the hell would have made that call.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast