Thread: Adding ingredients to jarred (canned) salmon

Default Adding ingredients to jarred (canned) salmon

Hello All,

I'm jarring some salmon tonight, just plain, not smoked. I'm wondering what ingredients you guys like to add. I've been thinking about a little, salt/pepper, garlic, or even some brown sugar or yoshida's for flavor. I've read the cooperative extension stuff, and they basically say to experiment. I'd appreciate any suggestions to help shorten the experimenting stage. Any good spices you like to add to plain canned salmon? Thanks,

In the past I have added things like hot peppers, onion, lemon pepper, dill, and liquid smoke.

All turned out well except for the liquid smoke. It added nothing to the finished product. My favorite is half a jalapeno to the jar. Gives the finished product just enough of a kick without making it too hot. The batches we have done so far this year have gotten an onion slice on top.

Never tried brown sugar or Yoshida's. Would be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

My wife adds a bay leaf - turns out good.

A friend adds a jalapeno to each jar - which I tasted last year and liked.

Good luck.

We do all the above but also like 4-5 good shakes of Season ALL not season salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Hello All,

I'm jarring some salmon tonight, just plain, not smoked. I'm wondering what ingredients you guys like to add. I've been thinking about a little, salt/pepper, garlic, or even some brown sugar or yoshida's for flavor. I've read the cooperative extension stuff, and they basically say to experiment. I'd appreciate any suggestions to help shorten the experimenting stage. Any good spices you like to add to plain canned salmon? Thanks,

I throw in a tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 jalapena too. Comes out just fine!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Same as the Whop, dash olive oil and a jalapeno, seeds and all.
    BK

Usually add a tsp - tbls of brown sugar and a couple jalapenos to the jars of salmon that I smoked first. For regular (i.e. non-smoked) salmon, try adding pesto. My wife made some fresh pesto last year and added while canning, turned out well. Like others, have done garlic and EVOO with good results.

Our standard is 2 slices jalepeno, 1 fresh garlic clove and 1/4 tsp pickling salt. For variety we do lemon pepper, piquin pepper, honey mustard (honey turns a dark color, but is still tasty), and Chipotle. They're all good but I love the lemon pepper with the chipotle a close second, but still prefer the standard Jal/Gar for everyday use.

Just take your favorite seasonings and test it in one or two jars and if you like do up a case or so.

I add jalapenos to canned smoked fish. I alwyas use seasoned salt with unsmoked fish so there's a little general spice in there. I've tried lots of added stuff and never liked any particular spice that we tried. It's easier to add it before eating and that gives more versatility. I did add tomato juice once and it was pretty good so I tried tomato sauce. That was awesome for eating right out of the jar. I think stewed tomatoes would be at least as good, too. A jar of tomato salmon and a handful of crackers sounds good right now.