Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What power scope do you prefer?(and why)

Default What power scope do you prefer?(and why)

Regardless of brand,what power scope do you guys prefer for hunting?I've really gotten to like the Leupold 1-4x20 on my .50 and .54 muzzleloaders,and also on my marlin lever 30-30.Have Leupold 3-9x40 on my other rifles,but cant ever recall setting it any higher than 6x.Have read many many stories of the "old hunters" using fixed 4x and 6x.Just wondering out of curiousity more than anything.

I am right on line with you I use 1-4x on my .375 and any other big bore rifle I might buy but I just bought a Win M70 Pre 64 30-06 and just for nostalgic reasons I put a Leupold fixed 4X on it. Everything else gets a 3-9x40.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    Regardless of brand,what power scope do you guys prefer for hunting?I've really gotten to like the Leupold 1-4x20 on my .50 and .54 muzzleloaders,and also on my marlin lever 30-30.Have Leupold 3-9x40 on my other rifles,but cant ever recall setting it any higher than 6x.Have read many many stories of the "old hunters" using fixed 4x and 6x.Just wondering out of curiousity more than anything.
    I only own one variable scope. It's a very high end european 1.5-6x. It's set on 1.5 when I'm in the brush, otherwise it's always on 6. It's very pretty and the glass is second to none, but I could live without it any day. All my other scopes are either fixed power 4's or 6's. Fixed power scopes are my preference for lots of reasons including but not limited to the following: Fewer moving parts mean fewer parts to break and fewer places for seals to leak. Fixed power scopes are generally much lighter, and more robust. Simpler is better; a variable scope will not make you a better shot. You can range find quite effectively with a simple scope; fancy reticles and gimmicks need not apply....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree with ya on the fancy gimmicky things.I dont see how one could use reticles with 27 different hash marks for this that and the other.I really prefer using the heavy duplex on scopes when i can.while not great for range work,it sure stands out(to me anyway)in the field.I have a couple of fixed power scopes,but only on .22s.Have thought about using fixed on other rifles though,but really like the little 1-4x20 for some reason

I have a large variety - my highest power is a Leupy 4.5 x 14 x 40 on a 300wmag - set it up for out west on muleys - and on mooses - can't say I have had a need for anything more than 8 or 9 for magnification though. So, over the years many of my rifles now wear 2x7x33's these seem to be a good compromise and shed some weight.
    First and foremost one must consider where you will likely have a shot and at what to make a solid choice. My slug guns wear fixed 4x scopes and I sure have no complaints with them out to 150 yards or so and can handle the often 20 yard shots pretty well...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    .Have read many many stories of the "old hunters" using fixed 4x and 6x...
    Well I don't think I'm old... but a 4x and 6x fixed power are some of my favorites. I have a 6x on my Tikka WSM currently. I'm experimenting with a 3x-9x Zeiss on another .300WSM but I believe I'd rather have the Zeiss Conquest 4x32 that was recently discontinued.

My highest power scope is a 12x36 power; It's mounted on a 16 lb, 6-284 win. The rifle launches 108 grn bullets at small targets (praire dogs) on the outside of 1000 yds. You can't hit what you can't see, these targets aren't much larger than a baseball. Lots of my varmint rifles have 4x16 Burris and 8x24 power Redfield scopes for shorter ranges;500 yards or so.
    Large game rifles are another story though; most carry a 3x9 variable usually set on the lowest power until a change is needed. My dangerous game rifles (338 WM and 416 Taylor) carry 1.75x5 variables. My 338 RCM has a 2x7 Leupold and my AR-2233 has a 4x12 Burris.
    I've found the brand of scope is far less important than the quality of it's glass. Many brands of scopes produce several different qualities of scopes in their lines. Choose the best glass incoporated into the toughest package that fits your hunting needs. Consider glass,reticles and proper size far more important than brand names or weight.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

All of my hunting rifles carry either a 3-9x or 4-12x except for my varmit rifle which has a 6-24x. The reason: I was always told to pick a hair and squeeze (aim small miss small concept). Its hard to see hair on an animal 350 yds away with a 4x scope. I like the ability to zoom in as close as I can, I have found that this works best for me.

Bo

1.25-4x 30mm VX-R

3x 9x 40 Tasco 'World Class'..$35 scope that works well. Bright display. Reticle is perfect for my sight. Doesn't get me too far away that I out shoot my ability.

Been abused for 3 years now with no problems. Even carry a spare since they are so cheap.

Fixed 4 or 6x. They are about as bullet proof as you can get for a set of optics.
    Now what ?

I love a Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36. It's my favorite scope by far, and I have a bunch of them. I also have two 4x leupolds. And a 1.5x5 Leupold on my "Full" Custom .416 Rigby. I have another 2.5x8x36 and a 3.5x10x40 on order for a couple .300's I'm buiding, A WSM and a Weatherby. To each his own! I've shot Leupold for 30yrs and they just seem to work. ha ha..

Although still fairly new at this, brav01's suggestion - finding the best glass for the job- makes sense to me.

The best glass will provide the best color and low light contrast.
    The simplest mechanism (fixed power scopes) will provide the most dependable service.
    The lower power scopes will generally provide the widest field of view, which matters when your target moves after the first shot and you need to make a followup shot quickly.
    Higher power scopes... probably the most disagreement here - can complicate the shooting/followup process, but on the plus side can be helpful for "aiming small" at longer ranges.

As Wayne van Zwoll describes (A Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting), "a typical 4X scope has a field of view of about 26 feet at 100 yards. If you jump a bull elk at 20 steps, you'll see only the length of the elk. A variable scope set at 8x will show you nothing but hair at 20 yards-if you find the bull elk at all". At the other end of the spectrum, I find my shots are more dependably precise with a higher power scope when shooting out at 200 yds and more. Could be my aging eyes, or lack of experience maybe. But not all shooters, or hunting demands are equal. Find the best tradeoff between field of view, magnification and eye relief that meets your needs.

Good luck.

It depends on the rifle and the intended hunting situation but generally I think a fixed 4 power would cover 75 to 80% of most shots, under the most common conditions, on most lowland/woodland hunts. (mostly)

For mountains or other conditions where long shots are anticipated then higher magnification variables make more sense.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    It depends on the rifle and the intended hunting situation but generally I think a fixed 4 power would cover 75 to 80% of most shots, under the most common conditions, on most lowland/woodland hunts. (mostly)

For mountains or other conditions where long shots are anticipated then higher magnification variables make more sense.
    All we ever get from you, Erik, is common sense!! :-)

Hasn't been mentioned yet............but...................Since I/we also have to occasionally go to the range and sight in, check our zero from last year, etc.............I like having a little more power for at the range. I'm also 54 years old with aging eyesight. Anyway, I sure like having the 9 power at the range. Just recently put a 2-7 on a gun the kid will use. Excellent scope for the field, but miss the 9 for longer sighting in shots.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I like the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.5-8x-30mm.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...1CFBEFB213D5B8&

That's some neat looking fur on that bear Marine.

I have been using a Leupold 2.5 x 8 36mm Vari X III om my .338 Win. Mag. since I don't know when. Most of my shots have been with it on 2.5. Before that I hunted with a Vari X III 1.5 X 5 20mm Leupold for 12 years before I switched to the 2.5 x 8. I have a 1.75 x 6 32mm VX III on a old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. It has the Post/Duplex reticle from the Leupold Custom Shop. It is a good set up. Still, it is the 2.5 x 8 I am most used to, it works both far and near. My current 1.5 x 5 is a VX III with the German #4. My 100 yard groups with it are the same as the 2.5 x 8 when both are set on their highest power. I have only used the 8 power setting a few times.

So long as the scope brackets 3-6X I'm happy. Most of my big game scopes are 3-9 of some variation or another, but I've several 1.5-5 scopes, not too mention a handful of fixed 4X and 6X scopes. For varmints and such I sometimes need/can use more magnification, but in big game rifles I find that 3-6X is about perfect.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

2.5-8x36 VX III on my 325 Kimber. Great optics and the size of the scope fits the gun. I'd rather have 2.5 on the low end than 10+ on the high end. 2x Weaver on my 45 Colt SBH Hunter. I love that setup. Much mo betta for my 51 year old eyes than open sites. Now I just gotta kill something with it besides paper and pop cans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast